Status: finished.

The Quintessence of Macy Jensen

Brett Marston

Image
So here I was, standing near a classroom door as I waited for Macy’s arrival. I sucked in a breath as I prepared for what was to come; the impact I could have on the school-and my life. Maybe I would still be popular, but I had my doubts-very high doubts. I was always popular in high school; always had been and always yearned to. And I had that planted in my head since eighth grade; the grade I first started to take notice to girl’s chests and realize that cooties were something I’d like to catch.

I guess the epicenter of my worried thoughts was that I just wanted to stay me-including the perks of being waited on hand-and-foot-and I guess that made me shallow. I wouldn’t deny it and I don’t think anyone else would, for that matter. I was snapped from my haze by the crisp fragrance that laced Macy’s body. It smelled of sweet berries and violets, a sent I came to associate as her personal aroma. I smiled in her presence and we shared a tight hug before pulling away. “Are you ready to do this?” She grabbed my hand with grace while giving me a reassuring peck on my bristly cheek. “As much as I could be.”

That was true-I couldn’t quench the butterflies that fluttered in my stomach as the clock ticked closer to noon. Noon; that was the time we both shared lunch, and the time we would walk together hand-in-hand. We would be sharing our commitment to the world and that was the only thing on my mind at the moment. She flashed me her Cheshire grin and we both turned to face the crowd of students as they passed. Some looked frantic-like they forgot to do the big project that was due next period-and others looked relaxed-like they were passing every class with high grades. But everyone knew that was a lie, nobody in our community was as smart as the county would like. Barely any kids soared past an eighty-average, with the exception of Macy Jensen. Of course.

I pushed our way into the sea of kids and began walking with Macy by my side to the cafeteria. I noticed a few unknown eyes look our way but nothing was said to us-at least not loud enough for us to hear. We soon passed the entrance way to the cafeteria and progressed further into the room where kids were condensed every which way. We walked towards the lunch line and waited with fingers engrossed and smiles on our faces. We spoke in hushed tones as I noticed, from the corner of my eye, more and more people turning to look our way. Most were people I’ve never personally met but have seen their pacing faces. The others were kids I knew, kids I socialized with and even my teammates.

They all looked equally shocked-most of their jaws went slack as they passed us by. Nobody said anything though, which I was happy about, for Macy’s sake. She didn’t really need to hear all of the shit that could be coming our way, that I knew. So I was prepared to be the blockade for her-from words that could cut like razorblades. The wait for our food was silent without any harsh words tossed our way, and soon enough we were sat at a table somewhere in the midst of everything, with Brian and Kevin by our sides.

“Have you seen the looks you two are getting?” Brian asked as he bit into his greasy pizza, which was now dripping down his chin and onto his hands. He grimaced but shrugged as he realized he didn’t really care. I looked to Kevin and noticed his uneasy expression. It was weird for him, I could imagine. It was weird that while we loathed Macy once and devised ways to torture her, now she was sitting by Brian’s side as Brian conversed with not just me but her as well. Normally the two, including me, wouldn’t be seen with Macy, nonetheless sharing meals and gossip.

“Yes, has people said anything though?” Macy answered and Kevin looked up from his food. I don’t think Kevin had ever heard Macy’s voice before, there really was no reason he should have. Brian shook his head before continuing to eat his food. “The girls are talking up a storm, as usual.” Kevin chimed in while he picked at his unappetizing food. “Yeah?” I questioned.

“Yeah, the usual drama storm.” He took a sip from his open water bottle. “What about?” Brian asked as he dropped his food, finally becoming disgusted with the amount of grease he was consuming. “Macy of course. They keep saying shit like “oh why is she with Brett? He could have any girl-blah blah. Same old shit they’ve always said.” I gritted my teeth at the thought of other people saying mean things about my girlfriend. Especially the girls in our school, the ones who’d sell their bodies for anything less than being noticed. Thos words were tainted by lips that have touched the nastiest of the nastiest things you can imagine. So they really have nothing on Macy compared to themselves.

“It’s okay, I don’t care.” Brian looked towards Macy with a ghost of a smile before turning back to me. “I didn’t know your girlfriend was this cool.” All four of us smiled and Macy said a small thanks. Brian accepted it with a wave of his hand. We continued with our conversation until it was time to head back to classes. I got up with Macy and we traveled back together. Again we got glances but nothing more. And that made me happy.

Image


I carried my book bag into the locker room of the gym. I sighed as I watched the clock, realizing I was going to be in practice for a good hour or two. While Macy was home doing one of her Friday night rendezvous, I was listening to the coach’s gruff voice and exhausting myself to the point of fatigue. I dropped my bag and changed quickly while at the same time talking to a teammate that was changing as well. By the time I stepped onto the field the guys were already passing balls between one another. I caught a ball tossed my way and tossed it back to Kevin before coming to join them.

The coach soon interrupted us with his shrill whistle and told us to huddle around himself. When we were all ready and listening, he began to speak. “Okay boys, a game is coming up Thursday and it’s against a pretty good team. We’ll have to practice harder for this one.” We all nodded before he continued. “ So I guess I’ll have you do some more drills and then a scrimmage.” He told us to go off and do our duties but not before a guy, Tyler, pulled me to the side.

“I heard you’re dating that Macy girl, why? She’s such a fucking freak.”

Then I did something I don’t really regret and I found myself being stuck on the bench in punishment with Tyler glaring my way with a towel pressed against his bloodied nose.
♠ ♠ ♠
this isn't the end yet either, maybe a few after this and then comes the sequel. (:

NO SILENT READERS.