Status: finished.

The Quintessence of Macy Jensen

Brett Marston

Image
I didn’t get penalized greatly for my sudden burst of violence. Most people, even though Tyler was a well-liked guy, understood that I was standing up for the girl I was holding hands with. That weekend consisted of relaxed mornings and late-night phone calls. Macy was the basis of these events but I couldn’t say I didn’t enjoy it. I lived in those moments and sighed once she said her farewells for the night. Then I would fall under my covers and dream of nothing but Macy Jensen.

Finally, when the birds sounded and the sun rose, it was Monday and I was back to the daily grind of homework and tests. I got ready per usual and tossed on a random beanie as I left the house with a kiss to my mothers’ forehead. She smiled before returning the gesture and watching me stalk towards my car. I turned on the radio and let my mouth pour out the words to the song playing as I proceeded towards the brick building that held my future. I was stopped by the buzz of my phone and reached into the consol to retrieve it. I quickly looked over the text and got the gist of the text; which was from both Kevin and Brian asking me to pick them up. I replied with a rushed ‘okay’ and tossed the phone to the passenger side.

By the time I pulled onto the curb of Kevin’s two-story home, they both were already waiting for me and we were already five minutes late for school. Kevin and Brian rushed into the back of my car and before they could place their seatbelts on I was making my way to the school. “Shit we’re late.” Kevin stated the obvious as he fiddled with the phone in his hands. “Of-fucking-course we are.” Brian let his head roll to the side as he closed his eyes. I sighed before raising my speed and hoping we wouldn't get our asses reamed for our tardiness.

Image


I was now sitting in the dank office of our principle-Mrs. Venice. The light was being obscured by the foliage that was placed on the windowsills and the anesthetic light that was coming from the overhanging bulbs were tinted purple. I heard Kevin shift beside me and cast my gaze toward the two. Kevin was slumped in the chair with his eyes closed while Brian was biting on his thumbnail with a bored expression playing on his face. I, on the other hand, was upright and alert, preparing for the worst. I heard the slight thud of the oak door being pushed open and watched as Mrs. Venice walked in. Her black heels swaggered her to the innate desk while her black bun of hair bobbed on the brink of getting loose.

She sat, smiled at the three of us, and grabbed a pen from that little cup of hers. “Mr. Marston, Mr. Cline and Mr. Noles, what brings you here today?” I saw Kevin roll his eyes and knew he was biting back a snark retort. “We were running a bit late.” I responded once it was clear that neither Brian nor Kevin were going to. “You boys were late by twenty minutes. Why?” She tucked a stray strand of black behind her pierced ear.

“Well, Mrs. Principle-” It always seemed like Kevin never remembered the most important names- “my dad left me with no ride and Brian showed up without a ride either, and then we made Brett come pick us up. I mean, we could have just not bothered and stayed home, if you would have liked that better.”

I bit my lip at Kevin’s response and watched as the principle resisted to let anger flash on her face but keep a tight smile in its place. “Mrs. Venice, Kevin. And okay, I’ll let you go this once, but please, make sure you get here on time next time. You can go now.” We stood with a wave of Mrs. Venice’s wrist and left the office with our book bags shagging on our shoulders. Once we were safely to our lockers we felt free to speak.

“Fucking principle. We were only twenty minutes late for Christ’s sake. Anyway, I got to get to my locker. See you later.” I nodded Kevin’s way as he turned to advance towards his own locker. Brian decided to go as well and collect the books for whatever his third period class was. I punched in my own combination and dumped the contents of my bag inside. I then swapped them for my science books and shut my locker closed.

I turned towards the hallway and moved into the crowd of students rushing to their own classes. I pondered a thought as I inched closer towards class;

I really hate school.

Image


Macy sat by my side in the car I liked to call my own. Her hair was pulled into a tight braid and her knees were propped on the dashboard. Her head was leaning against the fogging window and her eyes were lazing closed. I watched her as she laid there-the way her chest heaved when he took in a breath, the way her arms laid on her stomach and the way her lips parted as she began to drift into sleep. I smiled as I watched-the first sign of dusk covering her form. She looked peaceful in that moment-like nothing in the world could hurt her-like she was the greatest warrior in the history of warriors. I guess some could say she was though; for she fought the hardiest battle- the battle of high school. She fought against the opinions and the critiques. She fought against the pressure and grades. She, in retrospect, was a role model to other high schoolers. If she could make it through with a stable mindset, then so could anybody.

While I was too busy lost in thought Macy had awoken and was now watching me watch her. She leaned forward and circled her arms around my neck and I pressed a kiss to her simple lips. There was no need for lipstick on those already pink lips. I felt her fall into my arms and held her there, breathing in her homely sent. “This is nice.” I felt Macy’s giggle palpitate against my chest and sighed as I burrowed my face into her hair. “Yeah, this is really nice.”
♠ ♠ ♠
EL FIN.

Now I know most of you will be thinking "hey, what's up with the really vague-short ending?" Well don't worry yourself kiddies, this is just another ploy in my mysteries. But really, I wanted it to end this way so it'll be more..interesting at the start of the sequel. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to either start the sequel, The Quintessence Of Love, either tonight or tomorrow if I get the chance.

I just want to say thank you to all the subscribers to this story, and to the sequel. It means so much, I really loved this story and I'm glad you all enjoyed it just as much. <3 afuviefer