Don't Give Up On Us

Forgive and Forget...

We pulled up at Jordan's house in John's truck.

I felt my stomach turn and my sight got blurry. 

"Val, please stop that."

"You caused this, asshole. Remember that."

He looked away. "Point taken. Sorry again."

I rolled my watery eyes. I sniffled and sighed deeply.

"Okay, let's go." John said turning off the engine and getting out of the truck.

I stayed in my seat.

The passenger door opened

He leaned against the door. "I kind of need your assistance in this if you didn't know."

"What if he's really pissed? What if he says hurtful things? What if-"

"What if he's alright and he forgives you? Now let's go." He huffed. "I'd rather watch Aladdin for the rest of my life than be here but I'm doing this for you."

He grabbed my hand and helped me out of the truck.

"If he yells at you, I'll step in." He cracked his knuckles.

I raised an eyebrow. "And do what? You've never been in a fight before."

"Well he doesn't know that!"

I laughed. "Right,"

We walked up to the front door and I felt nervous. John reached to knock on the door but I stopped him.

"No! Wait I-"

"Shut up, you no longer have a say!" 

He easily broke free from my grip and knocked on the door.

We waited.

John knocked again.

"See, I told you." I said with tears beginning to run down my cheeks.

He looked at me. "Oh god- Jordan, come on! Open up, it's John!"

"Oh yeah he's really gonna open the door now." I said with a shaky voice.

He knocked harder.

"I just want to talk and apologize! I'm with Val and she's crying!"

We both stood silent to listen for any movement from inside.

I sucked my teeth. "Let's just go."

We turned and walked to the car in defeat when I heard a door open.

I quickly turned back around and my eyes lit up. "Jordan! I-"

John put his hand to my face and pushed me away.

I looked at him with confusion and irritation.

"You don't even know how he's feeling right now! We need to find out first." John whispered to me.

I nodded and faced Jordan. "Jordan. Are you okay?"

He looked at everything else but me. "I'm alright."

"Jordan, I-"

John pushed me away again.

"What the hell?" I quietly told John.

"He's obviously not alright. Let me talk to him first."

"Because he'll be delighted to see you," I said sarcastically. "But next time you push me away I'll kick you in the nuts."

John's eyes went wide but quickly recovered. He walked up to Jordan and cleared his throat.

"Jordan," He began. "I'm truly sorry for being an asshole at the dinner. I drank a lot of beer and when I consume a lot I say and do crazy shit and for that I am very sorry. Don't hate Valarie for things I said that wasn't even true, but what was true is completely in the past. I admit I was a little jealous at times. I guess it's mostly because she found someone really cool and awesome. I'm not coming on to you or anything like that. Now I've probably made it awkward for you. And for me. I'm going to let Val speak now."

John walked behind me and gave me a small push towards Jordan.

"Oh and don't be too hard on her. She's a little..." He made the crazy gesture.

I turned to hit John's arm and looked at Jordan.

"I want you to know I did have feelings for John but that's done and over with."

I heard John cough. I tried to hide a smile that was threatening to show.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, I really like you and I don't want to ruin what we have. Please don't be mad." I held back my tears.

Jordan grabbed my hands and brought them to his face. "I'm sorry for leaving." He said and kissed my hand.

John walked over and cleared his throat. "No hard feelings?"

He reached his hand out to Jordan.

"I guess not." Jordan said, accepting his hand and shaking it.

* * *

I stretched my legs over Jordan's lap as we snuggled on my couch in the living room.

"What to do, what to do?" I asked, playing with Jordan's soft hair.

"Any ideas?"

A smirk appeared on my face. "Did you ever see Aladdin?"

"Many times as a kid."

"I think you need to see it once more."

He chucked. "Sure, why not?"

I smiled and looked for the movie. 

I played it and sat back on the couch with Jordan.

In the middle of the movie, the front door opened and closed. We didn't bother to look back.

"Val,"

I turned around and John was standing at the door.

"Mel-" He looked next to him and sucked his teeth. 

He put a finger up asking me to wait and he left the room.

He came back with her and put his hands on her shoulders as if to hold her still.

"Melissa has something to say."