Sequel: I'm Coming Home

In the Long Run

s i x .

I rolled around in my bed, trying to keep my mind busy. My body busy. Me busy. I've never been so bored. My brother opened the door to my room, making me pause and look up at him before continuing to roll.

He let out a low chuckle, "What are you doing?"

"I'm grounded so I'm keeping myself busy." I muttered through my bed sheets.

I felt the bed sink down from the east end, "Go read a book or do homework." He suggested.

"You don't like me buying books and I got no homework." I kept rolling.

"Okay, how 'bout a deal?" My brother swung his key ring around my index finger as he spoke, "I'll let you out" My rolling got faster at the sentence, "if you do one extra chore for me each day for the next week."

I abruptly stopped rolling and sat up, "What's my first job?" I grinned.

His grin slowly went up, making mine falter just slightly, "My car hasn't been tuned up in ages. Do it for me, those stupid mechanics charge hundreds and take over a month."

Now I can say for sure that my grin faltered.

I groaned and snatched the keys from his finger. Oh the thing's I'd do for freedom.

Image

I flipped to the next page of Auto Repair and Tune Ups for Dummies. I scanned the page until I saw the words air pressure in bold.

Air pressure? I quickly googled how to check a tire's air pressure on my phone. Once I had it all down I started.

I unscrewed the valve cap from the tire and pressed the end of the little air pressure machine into the valve. I waited a bit until the air pressure thing gave me a precise reading. Unsatisfied with the air pressure, I quickly filled it with air and replaced the valve cap.

I started flipping through more pages when my brother walked through the front door.

"You've got oil on your," He pointed to his nose.

"I changed the oil." I wiped my nose off with my wrist, just getting more on my face and spreading it around.

"Forget it." He laughed. "Are you almost done? I need the car."

I flipped through a few more pages until I saw a section that had been untouched.

"Let me check the water under the radiator." I told him, stretching my arm out.

My brother nodded then made his way back inside. I bet if I glanced into a mirror right now I'd look like a mess. I decided to wait a bit before getting onto the radiator. I swear, I could become a car mechanic after this. Who would of thought these dummy books actually worked.

I was about the check the water level when a familiar car pulled up across the street. Thinking it was just the neighbor's, I continued with what I was doing.

"Your friend Angela told me I'd find you here." I lifted my chin to the voice, and there stood Nathan. "You need help? I got a thing for automobiles."

His voice was oddly calm and collective. Like a friend asking if I needed a favor done. "Are you just saying that because you're a guy?" I taunted.

The corner of his lip twitched, "I'm saying that because you're a girl."

"Look'ie here buddy, girls can do anything guys can. With heels." I spat out. I wasn't huge on feminism. Just slightly large on the topic.

"Calm yourself." He raised his hands up in innocence.

I continued with the water levels, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye every now and then. I had the feeling he didn't plan on leaving anytime soon. With that, I decided to use the time wisely, "Why're you here?"

"Your friend said you'd be here."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"I wasn't finished answering." I let him continue, "I'm actually here to see Jordan. Is he home?"

With that said, I was curious as to why he asked Angela if I was home. An unnecessary piece of information.

I lifted myself from the car and walked into the garage. I opened the door to the house and yelled, "Jordan! Someone's here to see you."

A few minutes later, Jordan appeared. His facial expression was relax as he nodded to Nathan. Then he turned to me, "I don't need the car anymore, take your time. And feel free to go out once it's done." He said, then got into Nathan's car.

They drove off, making me wonder what the hell they were doing together.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoot whooot.
canucks won.
yeh.