The Empress of the Seas

Chapter 1

“Rise and shine dear!” The maid called as she came into my room holding a gorgeous dress, well gorgeous to most anyway. “Look at this beautiful gown I’ve selected for you today!”

I winced as I looked at it and then turned in my bed. God, if I have to wake up to one more morning with her I am going to shoot myself. I thought but she continued anyway.

“Oh, come on Emma, it is a wonderful day! And Lord Charlester told me to tell you that the young bird was flying in,” I immediately snapped up and starred at her, “Whatever that could possibly mean. Strange fellow he is if you ask me-”

“Thanks Olivia! Now hurry! Help me with this dress!” I yelled at her and ran behind the changing wall. Once it was on I shot out the door and, not bothering to call for a buggy, and ran all the way to his house.

Now as I’m running I probably should explain to you a little bit about my life since I can only guess on how confused you are right now. My name is Emma Smith or better known as Emma Read of the Emerald, “The Empress of the Seas” at least that’s what they call me. Smith is just my stage name if you will. Currently I’m stuck in a bit of a situation. See with the Royal Navy after me and my precious ship blown up by this stupid Captain Corus I had found my way to this dump of a town, Port Rockford.

Who is Captain Corus you may ask. Well he thinks he’s the most feared pirate on the seven seas but he’s not. Who is? Why me of course! I didn’t get that name, “The Empress of the Seas,” for nothing. People shudder when they see my flag in the distance. Tough, fearsome pirates go into panic for they know their lives will be coming to an end shortly.

Although my childhood was much brighter then people shuddering in fear, it was still on a pirate ship. The Immortal Talent was her name and she was beautiful. She was not the fiercest or the most terrifying but she was not used to strike fear into people. She was used for one purpose and one purpose only: freedom. To sail the seven seas not having to worry about laws or rich folk with their tight pants and low cleavage dresses.

On the Immortal Talent sailed my father as Captain. He was wonderful. He taught me how to sword fight and defend myself against all the bad that he knew of. And no, just because I grew up on a pirate ship does not mean my mother was a whore; I can’t say the same for Jack though. Yeah, I see your eyes sparkle with interest. Jack Sparrow was his name. He grew up on the ship too and was about three years older then me. Oh, did I hate his guts!

Jack had no family aboard the ship. His mother was probably some Tortuga whore and his father went missing when he was one. My father was good friends with him apparently and took Jack under his wing. About two years later I was born and ever since I remember Jack tricked me, hurt me, threw me into the ocean when my father wasn’t looking and said that I slipped. Oh God did I, and still do, hate his guts.

Anyway the last memory I have of the wonderous ship is the last day anyone was on it. Jack was bothering me as usual and tempting me to a sword fight with him. He knew I wouldn’t win, I never do. As strong as I was for my age, he was stronger; and cocky-er. He made those oh so like him remarks which got me furious making me lose my concentration and fall on my but at sword point. I was 14 making him about 17…

“Oh come on Emma! It’ll be fun! I promise I’ll go easy on ye.” He said doing tricks with his sword.

“No! Ye always trick me and it’s not fair!” I yelled back at him crossing my arms.

“Go on Emma ye won’t ever win unless ye practice,” My father said coming up behind me.

“Fine! But when ye lose ye get to do whatever I say for a week!”

“Suit yeself…” Jack answered to confident for his own good as he walked away to the middle of the deck.

“Emma,” My father called before I followed Jack, “Flirt with ‘im,”

“Excuse me?!?!” I yelled but my father covered my mouth.

“Have I ever guided ye wrong? Flirt with ‘im,”

“Before the sun goes down please!” Jack called and my father pushed me out to him.

I shook my head as I took out my sword and he immediately went for my feet. I fell straight down but roll quickly to the side jumping up just to be met by Jack blade at my neck. My own just barely keeping it from cutting my skin.

“Oh come on Emma, ye are so predictable,” he mocked and flashed his cocky smile at me. I glared daggers at him.

Predictable?! I’ll show him predictable! My thoughts screamed in my head as we circled around. But now how do I surprise him… I could always kick him where the sun don’t shine but he’ll just say that’s a sign of desperation. My father’s words rang in my head. No! I will never flirt with Jack! He’s a despicable, dirty, cocky bastard who- Jack swung right at my neck line and if I hadn’t ducked, my head would have been clean off.

“Easy Jack, I don’t want to host me own daughters funeral!” My father called as he walked into his cabin making the entire deck empty since he let the crew take a break.

Ok I guess I’m going to flirt with Jack… I swallowed hard before speaking.

“Hey Jack?” I asked as our swords slammed together so hard sparks flew.

“Yes love?” Oh I hated it when he called me that! That’s what he called all the whores in Tortuga and it made me feel like he thought I was one of them.

Wait, that’s it! I smiled confidently. “How many whores have ye had in bed so far? Nine? Ten?” he laughed.

“Many more then that, love.”

“Well do ye think ye’ll get another one soon?”

“What’s with all the questions, love? Besides, ye know we’re not stopping any time soon. Who’s the whore on this ship? The cook?”

“No,” Our swords clashed above our heads and I stepped forward so my face was merely an inch from his. “What about me?” His smile disappeared and his jaw dropped. I stepped back and sliced his ankle catching him off guard. He fell on his back and I straddled him with my sword at his throat. “That’s what ye get for tricking me ye filthy bastard! What are ye going to do now?!” I shouldn’t have asked.

Jack stared at me still trying to grasp what just happened and then out of no where he flung my sword across the deck grabbed the back of my head and kissed me. I was too shocked to move so I just sat there as he continued to kiss me. The last thing I remember of that day was being pulled off of him and being struck in the head. Before passing out I heard a gun shot and the scream of my father.

Now you really understand why I hate Jack Sparrow. He tricked me into fighting him which caused us not to watch for coming ships. That particular coming ship was one of Captain Corus. He killed my father and left me on a deserted island to die. When I woke up lying on that shore I saw that beloved ship burn and sink to the ocean floor.