The Empress of the Seas

Chapter 2

“THE YOUNG BIRD IS FLYING IN?!?!” I yelled bursting in through the double doors completely ignoring the butler. Oh did I forget to tell you about our codes? Well Lord Charlester is just like me, a pirate stuck in this. With people watching us at every corner we can’t exactly talk like pirates or about pirate-y things so we have made up a code. We also can’t talk for long though because if someone catches us talking in code for too long they would think we are crazy and probably run us out of town.

Over our brief discussions he knows who I am and checks the pirate bounty boards that list all the wanted pirates. If he sees me he tares it down just in case anyone would recognize me. I’ve learned that he has a son, a very famous pirate by the name of... I could never remember. He had told me once but I was so tired and I never bothered to ask again. The young bird is flying in means that his son was coming to town and that I would have a ride out of this place.

I looked up to see a man laughing as he walked down the stairs. “Yes Miss Emma.” He spoke and then dismissed the butler, “The young bird has had a difficult journey across the lands but finally found his home land and is flying in as we speak.” I will translate: My son has had a tough time sailing across the seas but finally found where we are and is coming in as we speak.

“When will he be arriving?!” I was so excited I could hardly stand still.

“Around dawn and you are welcome to spend the night here if you like,” He meant that I could stay here so that I wouldn’t have to sneak out of the house at dawn.

“Why thank you Lord Charlester,” I said trying to calm myself down. “I will see you again by tea time with some crumpets.” Meaning: I’ll be here later with my things to leave.

“Very well Miss Emma I will see you then.” I looked around to make sure no one was around and then hugged him tight.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I whispered in his ear and then ran back out the door.

I slowed down to catch my breath and think of what I should bring. I was definitely going to bring my bracelet my father gave me. It was one of my birthday gifts from him and he told me to never lose it for it held all the treasures in the world. I believed him of course but I was 5 and now I’m 22.

“Well, well, well, what is a fine lady such as yourself doing out here all alone?” I jumped when I saw Lord Grotter. He one of the Commodores in the Royal Navy and has been chasing me for years- both Emma Read AND Emma Smith. He wanted to hang my head but also wanted to marry me. I don’t know which one would be worse. The funny part is that he didn’t even realize I was the same girl.

“Want do you want?” I snapped at him but continued walking.

“Always fresh you are, but why? What have I ever done to you?” You mean other then try to kill me a thousand times? I didn’t answer. “But remember, my offer to you to be my wife is still available and many other women are dieing to be my wife-“

“Then why don’t you ask one of them?” I screamed in his face and walked up my driveway.

“Fine, fine, just remember my offer still stands!” he called after me and I slammed the front door shut.

As I gathered my things on my bed I thought to grab a small bag to put them in. Why not a big suitcase? Do you really expect me to bring all of those horrible dresses with me? I don’t think so. All I was taking with me was my bracelet, my hair clip- wow, you know what I don’t even need a bag. I sighed loudly; I missed my ship and the chests that lined my walls filled with treasure.

I put my hair clip under my dress since it was SO improper for a lady to wear her hair in any other way then a stupid bun and slipped my bracelet on my wrist. A few hours later I was making my way to Lord Charlester’s house.

“Has the bird flown in yet?” my voice rang throughout the house as the butler just dismissed himself. Lord Charlester came out from the room to my right.

“You ready to be free?” he smiled and led me into the next room. My face fell and the smile was wiped off my face. I recognized him immediately. “Emma, I would like you to meet my son, Jack Sparrow.”

“’ello, love,” he greeted me with his same old smile; he recognized me too. I could feel the rage building up inside of me as I put a sweet smile on my face.

“Jack Sparrow-“

“It’s Captain,” he cut me off as I stepped towards him.

“Oh, it’s Captain now I see…” I came up to his face.

“What are ye gonna do?” he asked still smiling and I smacked him hard across his face making him stumble back.

“Ye shouldn’t have asked.” I replied coldly and stormed out of the room.

“Jack! What did you do?!” His father yelled not able to get his pirate accent back that fast. “She didn’t see you for a minute and she already slaps you across the face!” Jack just rubbed his cheek and Lord Charlester, or John, ran out after me. “Emma! What’s wrong?!”

I turned to look at him as I felt tears start to form in my eyes, “Out of all the people in the world, your son had to be Jack Sparrow!” John just stared at me waiting for an explanation. “Jack…Jack was the one who killed my father-“

“He what?!”

“Ok maybe he didn’t kill my father but it was his fault! He got me to fight with him again and the one time I win he has to go and distract me and then Captain Corus has to come and shoot my father! He sunk that boat and left me to die! It’s all Jack’s fault that my father had to suffer and that scum probably just ran away! He’s a dirty bastard who-“John caught my unconscious body and looked at Jack who was holding a candle stick.

“It slipped?” Jack weakly smiled then threw the candle stick aside.