The Empress of the Seas

Chapter 22

The next time I woke up Jack was awake. Not that that mattered though, since I refused to even look his way. But, surprisingly, he didn’t say anything; he just sat in his cell. I could tell he was pissed but I was pissed too so we were even.

Meanwhile, me and Grotter talked for hours, mostly making fun of old times. Like one time when I got caught stealing a hat in Port Rockford. He came out and saw me but I was in my pirate attire. We got in a fight so quickly that more people got caught up in it until it was just a huge group of people trying to knock the next guys head off.

We both easily slipped out of the fight and ran to a play we were supposed to be attending. We were the last ones in and I had to use all of my will power to not continue the fight.

“I was so mad that night I flipped out on the ticket collector!” Grotter half yelled.

“Yeah well once I saw ye sit down I tried so hard not to jump over everyone and rip your head off!” I was clutching my stomach from laughing so hard. “Lord Charlester thought I was going mad!”

Through our laughing I barely heard footsteps above deck but didn’t think anything of it. A minute later the door opened and we stopped laughing. I had to squint my eyes to see the man but once he stepped into the light I jumped up.

“Gibbs!” I said, remembering to stay quiet.

Jack picked up his head to see if I was right then stormed above deck just as Gibbs let him out.

“What wrong with the captain?” He asked as he opened my cell.

I tensed up brushed the P on my wrist against my side. “I don’t know.”

He looked at my with suspicion but turned and went after Jack. I started following him but stopped half way to the door.

“Grotter,” I said. He was sitting on the bench, starring at the floor. When he looked up I smiled. “Don’t think I’m gonna leave ye here now.”

He smiled weakly in return. “Emma, I can’t…”

“Oh yes ye can.” I walked over to him and grabbed his wrist, pulling him up.

“No, Emma…. I can’t go on a pirate ship. They’ll tare me apart.”

My smile got bigger. “Not if I tell them not to.” I said and pulled him up the stairs.

We swung over onto the Pearl and I was immediately met by Kyle. He leapt into my arms and I held him tightly while Grotter landed beside me. I felt the crew tense and heard a low growl from Princess.

“Emma! What are ye thinking?” Crystal said coming up to us. She looked like she was ready to punch Grotter out. I laughed.

“It’s ok.” I looked over the crew to make sure they heard me and they gradually started going back to work. I called Princess over and had Grotter pet her. She accepted him and licked his hand.

“So,” I said putting Kyle down. “How was life while I was gone?”

Crystal laughed as we walked down to the galley. “Very boring, stupid Corus stole my drinking partner!”

I hugged her and we both laughed more.

“So tell me about this new, surprising friendship.” She said as we sat down at the table. Grotter, it seemed, was scared to talk.

“Things can happen when you’re stuck in a cell with a person for hours.” I laughed some more when her eyes went wide.

“What about Jack? What up with him?”

My smile disappeared and I felt Grotter’s hand on my back. When I saw Kyle’s small hand stretched out to me on the table I looked up at him. The look in his eyes alone made me sigh and put my arm out. Crystal gasped when she saw the red P.

“Corus wanted to know about the treasure.” I said plainly and pulled my arm back.

I looked up at Crystal but she didn’t look as shocked as she sounded. She looked more… understanding. Like she knew what was going through my mind. Sometimes I wonder if she has Kyle’s gift too.

We sat there talking for a few hours, or until Jack came storming down.

“Can I talk to ye for a minute, Emma?” Anger covered his voice and he was giving Grotter a death glare. I glared up at him and was going to argue but Grotter, Crystal, Kyle and even Princess quickly left the room.

“What do ye want Jack?” Him being angry was reminding me of why I was angry at him so I was immediately pissed.

“Do ye think this is a charity ship?” he yelled at me.

“What the hell are ye talking about?”

“First there was Princess,” he counted on his fingers. “Which I kindly let slide. Then Crystal and Kyle, fine, he’s your son, I let them stay. Now Grotter! One of your enemies suddenly turned best friend! No! Not gonna happen!”

Now I was standing. “I wasn’t going to leave him there!”

“Why? Just because ye were talking about the ‘old days’ about killing each other it’s like all that never happened?”

“What about us Jack?! What about how much I wanted to kill ye?! And yet I’m still here!”

“That’s different and ye know it.”

I walked around the table so I was right in front of him. “No, Jack, not really. He can stay as long as he wants to.”

“No! See, this is what I’m talking about! Ye think you’re Captain! Sorry to remind ye, but you’re not! I am! And he’s going! They’re all going! Starting with Kyle! Because ye know what, if it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t have been thrown onto Corus’s ship! We wouldn’t have Grotter here! And we wouldn’t have an over protective bitch going around making sure he doesn’t hurt himself!”

“I know ye didn’t just call me that and I know that none of them are going! Especially Kyle!” It was one thing to fight me and people I care about but it’s another thing entirely to bring up my son.

“Yes, especially Kyle! He can be thrown to the sharks for all I care!”

I stopped and shook my head. Now I was hurt. He shouldn’t want that to happen to Kyle.

“Ye can’t think.” I said quietly.

“Why? Hmm? Why not? I wish that Corus did shoot him!”

“Ye don’t think that.” I said, my voice stronger.

“Why, oh great one? Why don’t I think that? Please, enlighten me!”

“Because he’s your fucking son!”

Jack took a step back at that. All the anger was washed from his face. “Ye said Kyle knows who the father is.” He managed in a small voice.

“He does and I refused to see it.”

He starred at me with the look of someone who has a million things running through their mind.

“Six years ago,” I said when he stayed quiet. “Starlit Inn. He has your eyes.”

He just stood there as I pushed past him out of the galley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!! It really helps when you guys remind me to update so if it seems too long please comment me or something!