Fragile Bird

two.

“Bubba, I have nothing to wear for this interview tomorrow...” Emma sighed innocently batting her eyelashes.

TJ let out a hearty laugh, “I know exactly where this conversation is going. You know I hate shopping.” He pulled into the driveway and killed the engine, “Remember when made me go with you to pick out what you were going to wear to Bergie’s Christmas shindig last year.”

His girlfriend pouted, “I guess I’ll have to ask Baby Osh to come with me. I was thinking of stopping at Fredericks. Me, Kel, and a few other girlfriends and wives are planning our Halloween outfits.” Emma informed adding extra emphasis on the word wives, “And of course I need some new undies but I want a second opinion before I buy.”

Like a punch in the gut, TJ was gasping for air, “Over my dead body. When do you want to go? If anyone is giving you a second opinion on stuff from Freddies, it’ll be me. My opinion is the only opinion.”

Emma giggled as steam spewed from TJ’s ears, “Can we go tonight after dinner?”

TJ sighed, “Babe, we were just out though..”

“I’ll make your favorite- steak with an extra serving of mash.” She bribed.

Without another word, TJ got out of the door and stomped inside. His girlfriend rolled her eyes letting herself out of the car and followed after him. He kicked off his shoes by the front door and tossed his body on the couch. Emma sighed as she heard TJ turn on NHL Network. It was times like this when TJ acted so childish that she began to wonder about the future of their relationship.

Dinner was quiet. The only sound was that of the forks tapping their ceramic plates the couple ate off of. After their plates were empty and bellies full, Emma cleaned up the kitchen while TJ called his father. They left their apartment soon after.

“So, what are you being for Halloween anyway? I don’t think you told me yet.” TJ asked readjusting his baseball hat.

Emma stopped short in front of a clothes rack and began thumbing through, “I’m being Minnie Mouse, Kel wants to be Pocahontas and Leslie wants to be a Greek godess. They want me to pick up their costumes. It’s like practice for if I get the job!”

He idea of Leslie- rookie Jaden Schwartz’s barely legal girlfriend, hanging out with Emma and Kelly made TJ nervous, “You sure that’s a good idea? I mean, Leslie is just a baby… innocent- too young for you monsters to corrupt her mind.”

“Uh, excuse me Mr. Oshie, but how old was I exactly when we started dating? What was that.. 17?” TJ rolled his eyes knowing he lost the argument. Emma smirked, “That’s right, so don’t start with me Bubba.”

The couple continued wandering around the store for what seemed like forever until Emma was ready to check out. Watching the final price climb higher and higher, TJ’s palms began to sweat. As it surpassed 100, he cleared his throat, “Cough drop?” His girlfriend asked rummaging through her purse.

He shook his head, “You know, sometimes I feel like you only bring me with you so I buy this stuff for you.”

“Shut up.” Emma said playfully punch Teej in the arm, “Kel and Leslie gave me money to buy their stuff. If you were listening to me earlier you would have known that.”

The athlete blushed, “Sorry.” He mumbled.

Finally, the moment he was waiting for, TJ found himself sitting outside Emma’s dressing room in Fredericks. He had ran around the store like crazy picking out several things for her to try on, all of which he would be financing. Growing impatient, TJ stood from his seat and tapped on the door gently.

“Yeah?” Emma voice came softly.

“Almost done in there, baby? I wanna get a pretzel before all the good ones are gone. It looks like a big line…” TJ mentioned as he heard his always hungry stomach growling.
Emma rolled her eyes, “Yeah, you can go now if you. I can always ask one of these lovely boys working here to tie me in.”

The door swung open and TJ’s eyes popped out of his skull, “You tease.” He let out a predatory growl as an eager employee walked by, “Hey kid- my girlfriend will be buying all these things.” TJ shut the door and had Emma hand him the merchandise, “Go ring us up and put it on my card. We’ll be up there in a minute.”

Opening the door, Emma sighed, “Bubba’s got a mean streak today.” She shook her head and headed off to the register to grab her purchases.

At the end of the day, the couple found themselves wrapped up in each other’s arms. A warm blanket covered their bodies as they watched a movie. The attitude from earlier was dropped and all the stresses were released. Emma began tracing the outline of TJ’s tattoo. He looked down and a few strands of his golden locks tickled Emma’s forehead.

“I love you.” He whispered brushing his lips against her forehead.

Emma smiled, “I love you too.”