Fragile Bird

six.

“Dad, you really shouldn’t drink that.” Fifteen year old Emma warned her father as he brought the brown glass to his lips.

Arthur chuckled, “Don’t you worry that pretty little head of yours.” He took another swig of his beer before setting it on the kitchen counter, “I’ve been doing this since I was a kid. I’ll be fine darling.”

Emma sighed and slouched down in her seat. She rested her head on the window. Her health class had just gone over the affects drinking has on one’s reaction speed after alcohol was introduced into their system. "Daddy, are you sure you're okay?"

About an hour later, Emma found herself in the back seat of her father’s silver Audi nervously clutching the stuffed animal she had since birth.

Swerving cars, loud crashes, flames, and sirens.


Emma took a deep breath and click send. Her e-mail with attached article was sent swiftly on its way to the editor. She ran her hands over her face trying to calm herself down. The memories in her past were fresh in her mind. All the senses were so vividly imprinted in her mind.

Checking the clock that hung over the counter, Emma logged off Matt’s computer and got herself ready for the fundraiser. Matt had already left picking up TJ and Patrik on his way. As soon as she found out who else would be in that carpool, she immediately turned down the offer. Leslie and Jaden were on their way to the D’Agostini apartment to pick up their friend and stylist.

“Wow Les, you look stunning! Who picked out that dress for you?” Emma smirked as she got in the car.

Jaden chuckled and waved hello. Giggling Leslie leaned into the backseat to hug Emma. “Are you nervous?”

Leslie nudged her boyfriend in the ribs and glared. She muttered something about being inappropriate and sent Emma a sad smile. “I’m sorry. He should know better. It’s none of our business.”

Emma raised an eyebrow, “Nervous… about what?”

“Seeing Teej,” Jaden stated only to receive and smack to the back of the head, “Ouch, Leslie, I’m sorry! She asked what I was talking about!”

Looking out the window, Emma bit her bottom lip, “Uh, yeah I guess so. Just have a lot on my mind right now and stuff. I’ll have to face him sooner or later. I wasn’t able to get my seat changed to your table so I’ll be sitting next to him.”

The conversation was dropped soon after. They changed the subject to holiday plans which didn’t end on a rather high note. As soon as Jaden pulled up to the valet, Emma threw open the door and began walking inside. She ignored Leslie’s plea and apology. Emma quickly found her way to the open bar and ordered two shots of Grey Goose.

She closed her eyes grimacing as the burning sensation in her throat began to disappear. When her eyes opened, they connected with a specific pair of blue ones she had tried so hard to forget.

Emma chewed nervously on the inside of her lip as she set the shot glass back on the bar top. Neither of them said a single word for what seemed like forever. She felt tears welling up on the rims of her neatly lined eyes. As TJ went to say something, Jan approached the pair.

“Oh, darling, I’m glad you’ve found the lovely Mister Oshie.”

TJ smirked to himself, “Indeed, Ms Gepner and I were just talking about my plans for the weekend. You see, my girlfriend and I have been having a bit of relationship woes so we’re getting together tomorrow for lunch.”

Jan smiled, “I’m glad, talks of the two of you getting back together I presume?”

“I wouldn’t-“Emma grimaced as TJ cut her off.

“Most definitely.”

Jan nodded, smiled, and began to walk away. Emma sent her a small smile before dropping it quickly and turning her attention back to the hockey player, “Timothy! That was my boss. You can’t just tell her things like that. She doesn’t even know we were together.”

The athlete picked up another beer and handed Emma a shot as he too began walking away, “I always liked how you said my name when you were mad.” He winked, “I’ll pick you up at noon.”

Emma rolled her eyes down the alcohol feeling it spread throughout her body. She spent the remainder of the evening circulating the room as long as she could. When dinner was announced, Emma did the best she could to ignore TJ’s presence. As soon as all the speeches were said and done, she nearly jumped out of her seat to leave.