Burnt

1/1

Fourteen years. Fourteen years ago I met you on the playground after Jessica pushed you on the ground and you lost your glasses. The same Jessica you threw me in the trash for. After Daddy dearest got the promotion and you moved into a brand new fancy house, the “in-crowd” finally started paying you attention. That’s all you ever wanted right? To have them notice you. You didn’t care who you stepped on to get to the top, you stepped on all of us. Your “friends”. The ones who stood up for you for the past fourteen years. You used us like a set of stairs, moving on up and digging your french manicured claws into where you wanted to be. And look where it’s gotten you now.

I’m sitting under the old oak tree in the courtyard watching you strut over to your new found friends,and it makes me wonder, what happened to you? Those stilettos you’re wearing? They probably cost more than my entire outfit put together. Your over bleached blond hair? You’re not even a natural blond. Your hair’s brown. I wonder how long you had to fry in a tanning bed to get that dark. Because when I met you, you were so pale you could’ve passed as an albino. You never used to care about those sort of things. But things are different now I suppose. At least, you are.

Dylan nudges me to my left, giving me another look. He knows exactly what I’m staring at and gives me a disapproving look. You were my best friend though Kay. And I don’t understand how you could throw me away like last weeks news. It makes me wonder if the thought of our little group ever crosses your mind. If maybe, just maybe, when you’re laying in bed at night, you think of me, all the time we spent together over the last fourteen years. We were inseparable, like conjoined twins, our parents used to say. But now, when I see them at the store, your Dad looks tired, and your Mom won’t look me in the eyes. It’s like she knows what you’ve done, what you’ve become, and she’s not proud of it.

And I think that if you came back and apologized right now, I’d take you back no questions asked, because I love you. You were my best friend for so long, that no matter how badly you talk about me, and I know that you do because I’ve heard, that a part of me will always love you. Because that’s what best friends do right?

But today was the last straw, you’re such a let down, and I promise this is the last letter I’ll ever write to you. I hope that you’re happy, I really do. Because the news has spread like a wildfire. Your Dad lost his job. Your family’s broke, you’ll have to move out of that big, fancy house of yours and back into the old neighborhood. It’s devastating right? Not really.

So today, after everyone found out about your Dad losing his job, Jessica dropped you like a rock. Just like you dropped us. It hurts doesn’t it? And I watched you stand around the courtyard with your lunch, scanning over everyone, until you eyes landed on us. I watched you flick your hair over you shoulder before strutting over towards us, and sitting down. Like nothing ever happened! At first, I’ll admit, I was excited, my best friend was back! But then I saw the way you were acting, like you’re so much better than us. And it made me realize how much of a bitch you’ve truly become, from the way you were talking I understand now why no one wants to be your friend. You’ve turned into a two-faced, backstabbing, liar.

We all sat there for about five minutes and took your crap, before standing up, and leaving you sitting there by yourself. It felt so good to be able to walk away from you like you did to us, but I wanted to cut all ties from you. It felt so good being able to get the last word.

“I can see why everybody else hates you now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first one-shot I've ever written. So don't be too harsh. It's written in the form of a letter.