‹ Prequel: Just a Sip
Status: YAAAARRRR!!! ©AFos2011

Change

Kapitel Zehn

Rowan's POV

I woke up the next morning foggy headed and tired. I only got a couple of hours of sleep, mainly due to the fact that I knew Sebastian was downstairs. If he hadnt been, I would have been wired the whole night. May was already up, flipping through a people magazine I had bought last time I was at the grocery store. She saw I was away and smiled, her glasses were crooked and hair a mess.

"I wonder if the royal family gets to sleep in all the time." She said studying an article on the pregnant Kate Middleton. I groaned, my stomach growling and throat burning. I was hungry. Pots and pans clanged downstairs and I smelled bacon, my grandmother probably saw Sebastian on the couch and decided to show off her cooking skills before work.

I sat up and stretched, rubbing my eyes and rolling out of bed. May yawned and followed, fanning her mouth.

"Ugh, I have trucker breath." She said scrunching her nose up. I laughed at her.

"Extra toothbrush in the medicine cabinet. Come downstairs when you're confident." I said heading downstairs in my shorts and Victoria's Secret tshirt. Sebastian sat at the kitchen table, his hair sticking up at strange angles. He was wearing a plain white vneck and a black mister Rodgers sweater He stared sleepily at the mug of tea in front of him, looking up as I descended the stairs.

My grandmother smiled cheerfully at me.

"My Sebastian had a rough night on the couch so I'm making him some grub. Do you want some?" She asked me as I held my stomach and shook my head.

"No thanks gram." I said kindly sitting next to Sebastian.

"Thank you for letting me stay on your couch. The darn fridge kept clanking around all night. I couldn't sleep a wink. Ill have to call someone to fix it." Sebastian said giving me a side glance. I solemnly nodded.

"Yeah, you're fridge sucks." I said.

"How'd you sleep?" He asked in a low voice so that gram wouldn't hear.

"Meh...alright I guess." I said, knowing that I was being a terrible liar right now. My grandfather strolled in with his work clothes on and briefcase in hand, he kissed my grandmothers cheek and patted me on the head.

"I want you to be careful today." He said grabbing a banana from a basket on the counter and peeling it. "That poor Ethan probably won't be the last if those damned wolves can help it." He said taking a thoughtful bite.

"You know about that too?" Sebastian asked.

"Of course." My grandfather answered, "I joined the search party yesterday for those beasts."

Sebastian and I froze.

"Wait, search party?" He asked as my grandmother set a plate of pancakes and bacon in front of him. My grandfather pulled on his suspenders proudly.

"Yes sir, ill have you know I was one of the best game hunters of my day. Jeff Waters from a couple of houses down organized a crew to find those wolves and put them down the good old American way."

I felt sad for a moment, but nothing could surpass the horror that was on Sebastian's face. I was happy that I wouldn't have to worry about the creatures any longer, but Sebastian looked sick.

"B-but I mean it happened right? There's no point in chasing them and harming them right?" He stammered as I looked at him strangely. What was his problem? May came down the stairs looking well rested and calm.

"Hello Stewart family!" She said cheerfully disregarding the sour look on our faces.

"Hi May, are you hungry?" My grandmother asked as May say at the table.

"Famished." She said frowning as she looked at me. "What's wrong?"

Sebastian stood up, his chair scraping the wood loudly. He nervously went up to my gram and hugged her.

"Thank you for the food, but I just realized I'm late for something. May can have it if she wants." He said hurriedly squeezing my shoulder and heading to the back door. Where he touched me burned with heat. I watched May shrug and take the plate, quickly bowing her head for a prayer and dig in.

Sebastian's POV

An overwhelming wave of emotions flooded my head at the information I had received. I burst into my house calling Markus' name. There was no answer. I raced up the stairs to the room he was staying in.

"Markus!" I said frantically, praying that he wasn't forcing himself to change somewhere out there. Not now. Not with all of this shit going down. I stumbled into his room, it was empty, the blankets on the bed strewn everywhere and clothes tossed in a big pile by the closet. It smelled like dog. Yeah, he's been changing alright.

I grabbed a fistful of my hair in frustration. Where could he have gone? Didn't be hear about Ethan? I took my cell from my pocket and called Mason. He picked up on the second ring.

"Sebastian. I was just about to call you." He said slowly. I paced Markus' room.

"If it's about Ethan Strathmore I have no idea. But have you seen Markus?" I asked, pulling the beige curtains back and peering outside. It had begun to snow lightly, the sky a cool grey of morning.

"No...I haven't. But speaking of Markus, he's becoming very...comfortable in his fur...if you catch my drift. I don't know who decided they wanted to toy with that Ethan kid, but when I find out..." Mason said seriously. "...just pray that it isn't Markus. Because I've got a few tips on my end that might lead to him. Keep a leash on your cousin Sebastian, I'm counting on you." He continued. My throat was dry and my face burned as I nodded.

"Yes." I complied as he hung up. I dropped to Markus' bed, cradling my head in my hands. This can't be happening. Markus was an idiot...but he couldn't be that dumb could he? The front door slammed and my head shot up. I jumped to the door swinging it open and looking over the banister.

"Sebastian?" Markus called out. I let out a breath of relief that was caught in my chest. I had never been so happy to see him. I plodded down the stairs.

"Where have you been?" I asked angrily. He was bundled up, fresh snow clinging to his eyelashes and tips of hair peeking from beneath his cap. He had his backpack slung around his shoulder, he frowned at me.

"Where have I been? Where have YOU been?" He asked dropping his backpack. "I headed out to school thinking you left without me, but some girl told me that school was cancelled." He took his jacket and hat off shaking the snow from his hair. I gripped the banister.

"Why didn't you check the garage to see if my car was there?" I asked pressing a palm to my forehead. Markus groaned.

"YOU were gone, so I assumed you found another way to school."

"So you heard about Ethan." I said gritting my teeth. Markus stopped and looked at me, his expression blank.

"Yes...very unfortunate. I never met the kid." He said going to the den and turning the TV on. "Not as a human. And not as a wolf, so you can save your interrogations."

I followed him, hot on his heels as I grabbed his shoulder and spun him around.

"That's not what Mason said." I growled as he blinked at me.

"Mason...he called?" He asked his eyes wide. I nodded, yes. His big childhood hero was going to rip his throat out if he proved to be guilty.

"You have GOT to stop changing for fun Markus. It's not a game. This is SERIOUS." I emphasized as he pushed past me, his brows narrowed. I turned and followed.

"I already told you! I never met the kid! All I knew was that he was running for class president!" He said rummaging through the fridge. I pushed him and slammed the fridge door shut.

"Then why is Mason asking about YOU? Why does he question YOU and YOUR innocence?" I hollered. Markus shoved me.

"Fuck off! He's probably just giving us a hard time since we live near Ethan! There's no other wolves that are in this school system besides Jeremy Douglass and he's in 7th grade and can't even howl without his voice cracking!"

I set my jaw. "Even so, it's not safe for you to be changing now. I heard they're rounding up firing brigade JUST for wolves. So stop it."

Markus' face blanched. But then he gave me a hard look. "You just don't want me changing at all. Is that it? You're jealous that I can do it on my own, whenever I want." He said as I reeled back.

"What?? Are you tripping balls right now? I HATE changing. Why would I want to do it just for the heck of it." I said laughing at his ridiculous comment. He opened the fridge, yanking the handle.

"I don't know." He grumbled getting a beer. "You need to stop worrying about me and MY business and worrying more about your little girlfriend and HER business." He popped the beer open with his teeth and took a swig. We went to the den.

"Why? Did you learn anything?" I asked as he raised an eyebrow at me.

"I saw Desalvo wandering the woods by himself when I was walking to school."

My blood chilled just like last night when I saw the figure. I sat on the couch next to him, fantasy factory was on but the volume was down.

"How do you know it was him." Markus gave me a side look and drank more of his beer.

"Do you REALLY think we have guys like him just milling around town? I got a good look, trust me, it was him. It looked like he was searching for something."

I sank lower into the cushions and rubbed my temples. Something just wasn't right with this guy, I could feel it. Just imagining him wandering around outside of school made me sick. I needed to figure this guy out, and do it quickly.

"Come on." I said turning the TV off and getting off of the couch.

Rowan's POV

May and I arrived at the usual diner about an hour after Sebastian rushed out of the house this morning. It was empty, despite the cancellation of school. It was like no one wanted to be out on a day like this. Dreary, cold, and sad.

Sebastian had called and asked if I could meet him as soon as possible here, he was bringing Markus. I decided that May was close enough to bring now too so she tagged along. We trudged in the snow over there chattering about school. Still in an okay mood as we entered the diner, we were immediately met by looks of somberness from Sebastian and Markus as we slid into the booth.

I brushed the snow from my hair, as May hopped in next to me. Markus sat up straighter.

"I didn't know we were having company. If I would have known, I would have cleaned up nicer." He said grinning at May who blushed and looked at the table. We all knew that this was a lie, Markus couldn't look any more like a GQ model then he already did in his burgundy sweater. Sebastian ignored him.

"Okay. So...uh I suppose you're comfortable enough to talk in front of May correct?" He asked me awkwardly as May obliviously played with the sugar packets. I gave him a "come on, really?" Look. He raised his hands in defense.

"Do we all agree that Mr. Desalvo is a creep?" Markus yawned. My jaw dropped.

"Is this really what all of this is about? Mr. Desalvo?" I said as May agreed with me. Markus leaned foreword.

"Rowan. Trust me. This guy is bad news, I can feel it." He said looking me in the eye. I scoffed at him.

"You really expect me to trust YOU?" I said as a waiter came around. He took our orders of coffees and hot chocolates. The thought of hot chocolate almost made me gag, but I had to get it as a prop. I didn't want Sebastian asking questions.

"Rowan, it's not just him. I don't trust him either. Markus did some research, you can't find him ANYWHERE on the internet. It's like he's a ghost."

May giggled. "Then technically he didn't do research since there's no Mr. Desalvo." She said covering her mouth with her hand. Markus' lip twitched, he wanted to laugh, but he didn't.

"Anyway, Markus ALSO saw him wandering the woods this morning."

May looked a bit worried. "Why would he do that? It's dangerous out there with those wolves on the loose." She said her big blue eyes full of doubt.

"He was probably doing some early prepping for the team my dad is in. The wolf killing committee." I said sarcastically. Markus' face tightened at that comment.

"Rowan you HAVE to be serious. You CAN'T tell me that there isn't something about him that scares you." Sebastian pleaded. This was important for him, and I didn't know why, but he didn't support ME when I was worried about the wolves.

"No." I plainly lied. "He seems like a perfectly fine teacher and I think you guys are wasting your time playing the Hardy Boys and chasing a mystery."

Sebastian sat back, studying me. I folded my arms as the coffee and hot chocolate arrived. I took mine and sat it in front of me.

"And YOU May?" Markus asked after the waiter had left. May shrugged.

"He is a bit strange, but there's nothing about him that scares me." She said holding the mug to her lips. The steam fogged her glasses as she drank.

"Well Rowan, whether you like it or not, you're helping us figure him out." Markus said drinking his black coffee.

"Don't tell me what do do! Why do you have to pester the guy? Just leave him alone!" I shot back. More scared than angry. I didn't want to find out anything that might terrify me more.

"Rowan. This will give me peace of mind. Please just help." Sebastian said clasping his hands together and begging. I looked to May for help. She smiled.

"Fine." I sighed throwing my hands up. "Mystery incorporated is now in business."
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think!!:)