‹ Prequel: Just a Sip
Status: YAAAARRRR!!! ©AFos2011

Change

Kapitel Acht

CHANGE 8

Sebastian's POV

Mr. Desalvo was on my shit list and he didn't even do anything yet. Actually, correction: He wants us to call him just "Radu", but there was no way I was going to call him that like he was my friend or something. I would call him Desalvo...nothing more, nothing less. I didn't like him. He had an aura about him that reeked danger and he was oddly enough, intrigued by Rowan. I could see by the way he pinned his eyes on her from his desk.

His eyes landed on me once or twice and I could feel his distaste, like he already hated me too. So I just narrowed my eyes at him and continued to do my work. He seemed like one of those creeps from "To Catch a Predator" or something. Maybe he liked young girls. Pervert.

I sat glowering at him from over my quiz sheet and felt a crumpled up paper hit the side of my head. I flinched looking at who did it. Markus tipped his chin at me as if to say whats up. I rubbed the back of my neck and shrugged, sinking lower into my seat.

"Why you mean mugging?" He whispered across the row to me. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

"He seems like a bad teacher, thats all! He wouldn't know his prokaryotes from eukaryotes."

"And you would?" Markus snickered. "Methinks you're a bit jealous." I clammed up. So he noticed that Desalvo was practically undressing Rowan with his eyes too?! But wait, this wasn't about Rowan or anything...I thought quickly and turning away from my cousin. Rowan flipped her hair over her shoulder and continued scribbling on her quiz sheet. The motion threw a scent of mango shampoo and clean laundry. I just wanted to bury my face in her hair.

"Cousins Gregor. Did I just witness you two talking during a quiz?" Desalvo called out from his desk. I was about to shoot back a mouthy retort, but Markus beat me to it.

"No Radu, you didn't witness anything at all." He said grinning, "Isn't that right Sebastian?"

Rowan's POV

When class ended, I heard Markus and Sebastian's chairs screech as they hopped up to leave the room. I wasn't sure why they were acting so jumpy since Radu had arrived, but I didn't blame them. Radu made me nervous...yet attracted at the same time. It was weird. He was like no one I had ever seen before.

The bell was still ringing as the class shuffled out into the hallway. Markus and Sebastian waited hissing back and forth to each other about something.

"Rowan, do you mind staying behind for a few minutes? I would like to have a word with you." Radu said standing up and taking his jacket off to reveal a midnight blue dress shirt that was unbuttoned at the neck. I caught my breath and nodded.

"We have only 25 minutes for lunch Desalvo, I don't think she wants to waste it in a classroom." Sebastian said warily behind me. I turned and looked at him, unsure of whether to be mad at him for talking for me...or appreciative of him trying to protect me. Radu gave him an unreadable look, but I could feel his coldness rolling from him in waves.

"Is this your friend?" He asked me coolly. I nodded.

"My best friend." I croaked. Radu crossed his arms and smiled at Sebastian.

"It'll only be a few minutes Mr. Gregor, do you think you could sit for a treat, just a little while?" He said chuckling at that last dig. Sebastian froze, struggling for something to say, and merely gathering his things and leaving with Markus in tow. He gave me one last look before leaving, but he knew that I'd be okay. The door slammed behind them, and Radu looked to me, motioning for me to sit in the front row before him.

I walked foreword and sat, crossing my legs and clasping my hands together. Radu was silent for a moment, scratching the stubble on his chin.

"I didn't come here specifically to sub." He began. "I came because there was a student that goes here with perfect grades and honors awards that would fit nicely into any college of her choice. Do you know who that young woman is?"

I blushed. "Me." Quickly recovering, I raised my hands up. "But I'm not the only one, there are plenty of other students that go here who are more talented and skilled than I am."

Radu laughed grandly, cocking his head to the side. "I know, and that's why I'm interviewing all of them during my time here. I work for a private benefactor who provides large sums of money for college. He noticed how successful your school was, and sent me to check it out."

I wanted to die, God...why was I such a ditz. Of course this incredibly handsome man didn't come here just to meet ME.

"Of course. I think that's great and I'm truly honored..." I trailed off, giving him a bold but curious look. "Have I...met you somewhere before?"

Radu squinted and smiled toothily at me. "No Rowan...I definitely have not had the pleasure. I'm sure I would remember a face as gorgeous as yours."

+ + +

I left the classroom feeling strange. I knew that something odd was going on, but It's not like I could crawl into the pit of my stomach and find out. A little part of me was excited though, finally all of my hard work was paying off! Maybe I could get a full ride through college! My grandparents wouldn't have to worry about anything. I would prove that I was better than my selfish and cold mother.

Sebastian was waiting outside, leaning against the lockers on his phone, angrily clicking at it. I walked up, holding my books close to my chest.

"Hey..." I said looking up at him. He shoved his phone in his pocket and picked his backpack up off of the ground.

"Hey." He said. He seemed really ticked off and I didn't know why. "What did "Radu" want." He said beginning to walk with me to the cafeteria. I rolled my eyes.

"Radu wanted to inform me that I was the perfect candidate for a large grant that could possibly pay me through college." Sebastian stopped, dropped his bag and scooped me into his arms for a hug.

"Really? That's amazing Rowan!" He said holding me tight. I could feel his warmth and smell his usual smell. Wrapping my arms around him, I hugged back. We held this embrace for a little too long, and I pulled away. Sebastian's face was red as he coughed and picked his bag up.

"I'm proud of you. You work so hard." He said as I gathered my jumbled thoughts.

"It seems as if you don't like Radu." I said as we entered the cafeteria. It always smelled like burnt fries in here...I thought scrunching up my nose.

Sebastian avoided my gaze. "I don't know. He's just a little weird...and pervy." He said. "Don't let him touch your private square." I punched his arm. Looking out at the lunchroom, I saw that Markus was already at the popular table, surrounded by all the hottest girls in school. Sebastian sighed.

"Is he always like that?" I grunted, looking around for May.

"Always." Sebastian said dryly. I spotted May sitting in the corner, her nose buried in a book and hand scooping applesauce into her mouth with a plastic spoon. She looked up and waved at me. I walked over with Sebastian and sat. She closed her book and gave a wobbly smile to Sebastian.

"H-hi." She said. Sebastian smiled tightly.

"Hey...May...right?" He said playing with his snakebite piercings. May nodded excitedly. I really appreciated that Sebastian was making the effort to meet my new friend. I knew that he didn't like her because she put me in a dangerous situation, but he was trying.

"Did you tell him about...y'know?" She said nervously to me from across the table. Wow. She was definately a discreet one. If Sebastian didn't know before he would have to know now.

"Yes May. I told him."

Sebastian clammed up, beginning to stand. I guess he didn't want to talk or hear about it again.

"Do you want anything from the food line?" Sebastian asked looking down at me. I shook my head.

"No thank you." I said as he walked away, 2 different girls in his wake. I turned back to May sighing.

"May...I don't think he wants to hear about the wo-"

"Why aren't you guys dating?" She asked abruptly. I shut my mouth, stunned at the question.

"Because he's my best friend...more than that...he's like a brother." I felt all the blood rush to my cheeks and heat my whole face. May fixed her glasses and shrugged.

"You guys act like more than that. It's like you have a magnetic pull and Sebastian is drawn to you. I mean you guys are so different y'know?" She rambled marking the page in her book and shutting it.

"Why do you think he never dates anyone." She continued looking at me earnestly. I rubbed my arms, an unfamiliar chill going through my body.

"Because all the girls here are Novacaine Barbies and just want to have sex with him." I reasoned looking over my shoulder to make sure that he wasn't near to hear this sad truth.

"Exactly!" May shot back. "Guys LOVE that, and he could have his pick...but he doesn't. Now shut up he's coming back." May opened her book and pored over it. My jaw hung. ME SHUT UP?!? SHE WAS THE ONE TALKING!!

Sebastian tugged on my ear from behind and I swatted him away. He sat next to me in a chair grinning and peeling an orange.

"Why so serious?" He said. I looked to May as she laughed behind her hand.

"Nothing. Just girl talk." I said taking a piece of his orange and stuffing it in my mouth.

+ + +

Sebastian dropped Markus and I at home after school, leaving for his job at an indoor golf course since it was too cold for the old rich white men to golf outside now. We waved goodbye as he peeled out of his driveway. Markus and I stood out in the cold.

"So..." He said gazing at me. I turned away. What could he possibly have to say to me? "Why are you so into wolves?" He asked. I sniffed, kicking a crack in the asphalt.

"I don't know. But there's something about them that mystifies me." I admitted honestly. Markus chuckled.

"Trust me, they're not all that fascinating." He said rocking on his heels. A cold wind blew and he huddled deeper into his jacket.

"Oh?" I replied. "And how would you know?"

Markus sighed, smiling and squinting at the setting sun.

"I've been around. Heard things. Just watch your back Nancy Drew. You might get hurt chasing things you know nothing about..." And with that Markus left me, walking to Sebastian's house. I stared behind him as he let himself into the house. Walking to my own house, I mulled over what he said to me. Why did it feel as if he were threatening me? I thought letting myself in and hanging my backpack on the stair rail. I wasn't even sure when we began to dislike each other...it just kind of happened. And now it felt hostile.

"Gram? Gramps?" I called out. Nobody answered. I sagged with relief. I needed to contact my mother and I didn't want to have my grandparents find out and worry. I went up to my room heading straight for my jewelry box. I rummaged through it for the phone number my mother had left with me two times before the last time she left again. I prayed that it was still there and that I didn't do something brash in the fit of my anger, like rip it to pieces. Luckily it was crumpled up underneath a pile of bracelets Sebastian's mother brought back for me from India. I feverishly unwrapped it, seeing my mothers scrawled numbers on the paper. It smelled faintly of flowers.

I pulled my cell out of my pocket and dialed the numbers, stuffing the paper back in my box. Going over to my windowseat, I sat and rested my head against the window. It rang and rang, I bit my lip, a little bit disappointed that she wasnt picking up the phone. I was about to hang up when the line clicked. There was thick static and a muffling sound. I sat up straight.

"Miu?" I asked.

"Hello?" I heard her say as the static settled. "Who is this?" She asked, her voice strong like I remembered. I debated saying wrong number and hanging up, but I answered in a wobbly voice.

"R-Rowan. It's Rowan." I said, a lump forming in my throat. The line was silent.

"Is everything okay?" She asked. I shook my head.

"Yes. I just had some questions." I said, masking my thick voice. Miu sighed.

"Yes, anything, ask away." She said, sounding relieved.

"Have you ever had strange dreams?" I asked quickly. "So strange that you had to find out what they meant?"

My mom cleared her throat. "Like what sorts of dreams? Scary ones?"

"Yes. That's right." I said unsurely. "I haven't told grandma or grandpa yet, they'd probably just say I was eating too late or something."

My mom snorted. "Sounds about right. I had the same dreams too when I was your age..." She said seriously, the line quieted for a moment. "Rowan...I want to show you something. But I'm not quite sure if now is the right time." She said quietly. I squeezed the phone, eager for details.

"What is it? It has to be the right time, I need help now." I said taking a deep breath.

"Do you have a laptop?" She asked slowly?

"Yes." I said heading to my MacBook and booting it up as I sat on the bed with it in my lap.

"Put this URL in and take a look." She said, seeming nervously on edge. She gave me the information as my eyes wildly scanned the screen. A blog came up, with folders of what seemed to be stories or really long entries.

"Miu...what is this?" I asked clicking open a folder and seeing chapters and chapters unfolding.

"I recorded almost all of my dreams on this blog for fun. You come from a long line of imagination and wonderful things. I didn't answer her as I flipped through years of entries, they stopped about a year before I was born. It was fascinating, like an archive of my mothers thoughts. Pinpricks of tears tickled my eyelids, this was the closest I've ever been to her.

"Why did you stop a little while before I was born?" I asked squeezing my eyes shut.

"Unforeseen circumstances." She said darkly. I slid the laptop from my legs and stood up to go back to the window, I would save the reading for later.

"Was that when you met my father?" I asked carefully. She never talked about him. It was like he never even existed. My grandparents didn't know much about him, and if they did, they hid it very well from me.

There was a shout in a different language from my mothers end of the line.

"Ja, ich denke..." My mother answered back. "Rowan, I have to go now. But it was good to speak with you. Don't question your dreams...just let them be, you'll be much safer if you did."

I almost screamed, I was so close to valuable information about my dad, but it was ruined now.

"Bye Miu." I said hanging up and angrily hurling my phone at the bed. I choked back a frustrated sob as I paced my room, wracking my brain for a solution. I just could t forget the wolves, but I had hit a wall. What was I going to do? Did I need a therapist? Medication?

The doorbell rang as I paused and hurriedly wiped my flushed face. It was probably Sebastian forgetting his scarf at my house again. I regained composure and walked downstairs as the doorbell rang 3 successive times. I flung the door open and was about to shake some sense into Sebastian, but I was stopped. May pushed past me into the house, her hair a windblown mess and glasses crooked.

"Where's your TV?" She asked, distractedly taking her coat off. I raised an eyebrow.

"Hi?" I said picking her jacket up off the ground as she ran to the den. I followed her, extremely confused and picking up her mittens scarf and other winter essentials as she shed them.

"What's going on?" I asked. "What if I was having an orgy in here, you can't just storm through someone's house!" May searched the cusions for the remote, her behind in the air.

"Well you're not, and I'm hoping that if we're really friends you would invite me first of course." She answered brandishing the remote and turning the tv on, flipping channels. I groaned going to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate for her.

"Wait! Don't go, I found it." She said putting a finger up. I stopped, turning to the TV. There was an anchorwoman outside of our school. I furrowed my brow.

"Why are they at our school?" I asked slowly sinking to the couch.

"Sh!" May hissed.

"...Stoney Brook high school sophomore Ethan Strathmore was recently found at the rear of the school, and has been pronounced deceased. Police have not ruled out foul play, and request that viewers contact this tip line if any information is known about this rising juniors death."

My jaw dropped. A girl from my gym class last year appeared on the screen.

"Yeah I just saw him handing out flyers for his campaign all happy and smiling and now...he's gone. I think it's just...sad. Just sad and wrong." She said snapping on gum. I turned to May.

"Ethan...I...Sebastian...we just saw him the other day!" I said, a lump growing in my throat. May shook her head, turning the TV off as some of our classmates were being interviewed. Her face was stoic. I brushed away a stray tear.

"How could this happen?" I said clasping my hands together.

"That's not the worst part." She said running a hand through her hair. I stared at her, what could be worse than this?

"My dad got called into the office today to do some research. To confirm information." She wrung her wrists as I waited. "To confirm that the wolves did it. The wolves that almost killed us, killed Ethan."