Assumptions

One

Adrian and Patrick were very good friends. Or, so they claimed to be—not even half of their schoolmates believed it. In fairness, it was quite questionable how two boys could spend that much time together; every hour, every day.

Jessica, who lived several houses away from Patrick, often saw Adrian come over his friend’s house and stay there for hours, sometimes even days.

Christian, who liked to eat at the cafeteria, could swear that Adrian was always bringing Patrick food for lunch in school.

Germaine, the one least likely to gossip about other people, would tell anyone who asked that every month, she has never failed to see the boys sneaking into the woods that surrounded their small town.

Although these situations could imply just about anything, it caused quite a stir among the teenagers of Dorcas National High School. Individually, they were quite popular. Mostly because Patrick was a very handsome boy, and Adrian, though also good-looking, was most notable for his brains. A lot of the girls wanted either one of them—sometimes even both of them.

Not one of them has dared to ask either of the boys to clarify their relationship, however. Perhaps they were intimidated by their popularity, or were simply too afraid that the answer would only disappoint them. No one knew much about Patrick and Adrian; what movies they liked, what sports they played, which bands they listen to or even where they came from. The two, although quite friendly, never have any other friends but each other.

*

Melissa, who was known for being suspicious of boys, was admittedly one of those who had gone gaga over Patrick when he and Adrian had transferred to the school in their Sophomore Year. He was silent and shy, only speaking when spoken to, and he had (in Melissa’s opinion) a very cute way of blushing whenever he got an answer wrong during recitations. But she, like the other girls, could only admire him at a distance.

That was about to change.

It was February. And the Junior-Senior Promenade was at hand. It was to coincide with Valentine’s Day, which the students thought was perfect. Melissa was determined to ask Patrick out to be her date for the Prom. She knew it was out of tradition for a girl to ask a boy, but she was never one for traditions. Last year she gave her mom an envelope of cash for Mother’s Day, with a note: “Can’t decide what to buy for you. So I gave you money instead.”

So, a week before the actual event, she went looking around and found him by his usual spot in the school park. There were a few pines towering over the small park, casting a cool shade over the students. It was under the tallest pine’s shadow where Patrick liked to rest. He was seated on a bulging root, tracing lines on the soft earth with a twig. Thankfully, he was alone. Melissa assumed Adrian had gone to the bathroom so she didn’t have much time.

Mustering enough courage, she plopped down beside him.