Assumptions

Six

There was a BANG! and the creature yelped as it was thrown aside by an unseen force. The dog monster recovered and growled. Thinking it was Christian’s doing, it charged towards him once more. But there was another BANG! and the dog was swept off its paws and knocked backwards. From where it collapsed, it didn’t rise back up.

Melissa looked to where the gunshot sounds were coming from.

Standing by the gymnasium’s entrance, as he had earlier in the evening, was Adrian in his coat and house clothes. He looked even taller now, standing there, framed by the doorway. Whatever he used to knock the monster back, Melissa could not see it.

“What are you waiting for?” he yelled at his schoolmates. “RUN!”

They didn’t just run. They screamed and cried as they stampeded out of the gymnasium.

Melissa stood stunned, unable to move. She saw Christian lying where he was, unmoving but the rise and fall of his chest told her he was still alive. Adrian went to him quickly. He asked Christian something, to which he was answered by a shake of the head.

Adrian rose up and approached the giant dog now. Melissa reached out a hand as though to stop him, but Adrian barely noticed her.

The monster had risen, at last. It took several limping steps backwards and bounded towards the exit, leaping over Adrian and disappeared into the night. Then Adrian shouted after it:

“PATRICK!”