Please Come Home

Happily Ever After

10 years later


“The doctors made Eric all better. He and Foster kept dating and eventually they got married… And they lived happily ever after.” I smiled at the two children smiling up at me. “Ok guys, time for bed.”

“I love that story, mommy. It’s my favorite.” Camden, my son said as I tucked him into bed.

“It’s daddy’s favorite too.” Eric’s voice said through the phone and I smiled.

Eric was currently on tour with A Rocket To The Moon but he called every night so he could help me read our children a bedtime story.

“You know mommy, that story’s kind of like Beauty and the Beast. Eric was a big old meanie just like the beast and I bet Foster was pretty just like a princess.” Madeline, mine and Eric’s daughter, said.

“She was. Foster was the most beautiful girl in Arizona.” Eric said.

“And Eric was big and ugly, just like the beast.” I laughed.

“Hey!” Eric yelled.

The children giggled before I told them it was time to go to sleep.

“Night daddy. Love you! When are you coming home?” Camden and Madeline yelled out.

“Soon, I promise. Love you guys. Sleep tight, don’t let the bedbugs bite.” Eric called out.

I shut the door to the kids’ room and took Eric off of speakerphone so I could talk to him.

“Maddy and Cam really miss you.”

“I know.” Eric sighed.

“I really miss you too.” I softly said.

“I know, sweetheart.”

“Please just come home.” I said.

“Foster, I…” Eric started but I interrupted.

“I know, I know. You’re on tour and I’m so proud that you’re doing what you love but sometimes I wish you could just stay here with me.”

“Foster, open the door.”

“Why?”

Eric gave an exasperated sigh. “Just do it.”

I opened the door and nearly screamed out of excitement when I saw Eric standing there. I hung up the phone and threw my arms around him.

“What are you doing here?”

Eric chuckled as he hugged me back. “Our last couple shows got cancelled so tour ended early. The rest of the guys went back to Nick’s house to work on some new music but I came back here.”

“You could have gone with the guys to work on music. I would have understood.”

Eric shook his head. “I know, but I wanted to come home, and home isn’t home without you.”