Remembering

Signs

People say that when someone dies, they give the ones they love signs to let them know they're still here.

Your mom and stepmom say they've gotten a few; why haven't you given me any?

I've had dreams about you, and sometimes random phrases pop into my head and remind me of you, (today, it was 'paranormal lawnmower') but I want something significant, so I know that there's a heaven, and you're not just dead, floating around in nonexistence.

Maybe all my hopes in heaven were false hopes, after all.

If you haven't gotten to heaven yet, or you're not just floating around in deadness, maybe you could be my poltergeist. That would be fun. I'm kidding. That might scare people. But hey, when you were alive. We never worried about scaring people... It was all good fun. Like biting Matt in the pool. Good, scary fun.

Anyway, I can't find your glow in the dark John Deere socks. I should look for them, so maybe you can haunt my feet with some of that epic Sarah foot stink.

Weird, but I even miss your smelly feet.

Before I go to bed, I just want to tell you not to be afraid to leave me a sign if you want to. Write on my walls, pull my hair, make sure none of my socks ever find their match... Make kissy marks on my Jack Barakat posters, try talking to me. Or at least make some creepy noises.

I promise I won't be scared. I'll know it's you.