Sequel: This is How it Goes
Status: 1. please post comments! 2. subscribe!

The Mind Killer

We Leave

Today was my final day at home. The thought occured to me right when I woke up. I might as well enjoy it. I wouldn't be home for a while, after all.
There was a lot to pack: my stuff, along with Steven's, Alex's, Penn's, Aidan's, and Carson's stuff. Luckily, my parents' Will included the vehicles being at my disposal, and the car bills were all paid for.
Carson unfortunatly decided that he had to 'unpack' his clothes when he first got here, so I had to find his stuff and repack it all. But I had better luck with Alex, Aidan, Penn, and Steven; once they had their clothes washed, they would pack them back up.
"You almost ready?" Alex said, walking toward me.
"Yep, just a few last minute things." I answered while folding and setting my shirts in the duffel bag.
"You're not scared, are you? I can feel how tense you are."
"No, of course not." I lied.
"Why would you be scared?"
"Because, I don't know what's out on the streets."
"Yeah, but I'll be with you the whole time. And Aidan, and Steven, and Penn."
My mind flashed to the memory of me and Aidan kissing, and then I scolded myself for thinking about Aidan while talking to Alex.
"You have me." Alex finally said when I didn't answer. And then he leaned foward and kissed me.
"Everyone ready?" Steven came out of the loft yelling. He looked at me and Alex kissing, and then acted like he was busy checking Carson's bag, to make sure he had everything.
Once Alex and I had broken apart, Steven grabbed a few bags and took them to the van. I grabbed the bags left behind and took them out, yelling at Alex to turn off all the lights and the t.v. that Aidan, Penn, and Carson had been watching.
Everyone herded out the door and loaded up into the van.
"I get to sit next to Ally!" Carson yelled out trying to grab my hand.
"No way, man! I called it first!" Alex yelled back at Carson childishly.
"Chill, kids. You can both sit beside me. Steven, you drive first." I buckled my seatbelt, then pulled out my extra bag of things to do on the road. In it was my journal, which I took out and set it on Alex's lap, my ipod (fully loaded with games and songs), a few books that I liked, and a few of Carson's picks.
Steven pulled out of the driveway, and continued on down the road.
I looked back at the house.
'Goodbye, house.' I whisper.
I lay my head on Alex's shoulder and stare at the journal.
Placing one hand on my thigh, Alex whispers, "There's nothing to be scared of."
I'm just scared of what I might find, of what I will find. But even lying to myself, I just nod.

About an hour later, we arrive at the first address. There's an alley with a bunch of boxes stacked up against the faded brick walls.
We all crawl out of the van and stretch our legs. I grab Alex's hand and walk with him, Steven, and Penn into the crowded alley, while Aidan and Carson stay by the van.
"Hello?" I whisper, hoping for no answer so we could just leave and never come back.
But then there's footsteps, light ones, like a child's.
And then there's a kid, maybe a little younger than Carson, that appears in front of us.
I let go of Alex's hand and back up a few steps.
The kid has dirt smeared on his face, and a healed cut above his left eyebrow.
Alex walks toward me, puts one hand on my back, nudges me forward, and then grabs my hand.
The small child walks toward me slowly, and then starts into a run, and crashes into my leg, hugging me.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is the last chapter! i still have to get started on the sequel, but it might be a few days, a few weeks at the most. until then, thank you to subscribers and commenters, and hopefully my sequel will be more popular.
thank you for reading,
sincerely,
dinosaur2016 (aka, abby).