‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

ATVs & Confusion

“Turn right and you have reached your destination.” The GPS said.

“Fuck yes!” I smiled bouncing in the seat of Aden and I’s rental car.

Aden made the turn and grinned, “She has no clue what’s in store for her.”

The two of us had just arrived in Phoenix 6 hours earlier than Joanna, Max and Craig were expecting us. We thought it would be funnier to surprise them than it would be if they were to just pick us up from the airport. So we’d switched out the tickets Craig had bought for an earlier pair, gotten the address from Craig and Max’s band mate Robert and rented a car so it would be waiting for us when we got there.

We pulled into an empty spot and climbed out. We’d come back in a bit for our bags. Right now there was more we needed to handle.

We found the apartment quickly and realized the door was locked. That was hardly an issue thought. Aden dropped to her knees with a bobby pin and a few moments later it swung open. Smiling at one another we tip toed in.

It was 6 in the morning so we knew that no one would be up this early. Joanna was never one to be an early riser and I knew Craig and Max were similar.

“Which room do you think is hers?” Aden whispered as we looked at the 3 bedroom doors in front of us.

“Um…lets just look in and hope that no one is naked.” I said and Aden laughed.

We opened the first door and found that it was Max’s. He lay in his boxers, sprawled out on the bed, his face buried in the pillow, the inflatable mattress that served as his bed half deflated. We closed the door and moved onto the next one. This time we got lucky. Joanna was sound asleep, snoring away.

Aden and I looked at each other for a split second before running over and diving onto the bed.

“I SWEAR I DIDN’T STEAL THE MONKEY FROM THE CIRCUS!“ Joanna screamed sitting bolt upright.

“What monkey?” I asked laying back on her bed.

“Yes…do tell us of the circus monkey of which you speak.” Aden added assuming a similar position.

“The monkey with the top hat and-HOLY FUCK! YOU’RE HERE!” She screamed and tackled the both of us.

“What the hell is going on?!?” Craig asked running into Joanna’s room with a baseball bat.

“LUCY AND ADEN ARE HERE!!!!” Joanna smiled.

“What? Oh! Hey!” Craig smiled.

“Hi!” I laughed and waved from under where Joanna was crushing Aden and I.

“I thought you two weren’t getting here until like three…we were going to come pick you up.” Craig said.

“We decided to get here earlier and surprise Joanna.” Aden replied.

Craig laughed, “Joanna I think you might be killing them.” he laughed.

“Sorry! I’m just so happy!” She grinned sitting up.

“It’s okay we’re happy too!” I smiled.

“Daddy? What’s going on?” a small voice asked and a few moments later Leila appeared behind Craig wearing a Hello Kitty nightgown, her blonde hair sticking up at odd angles.

“Nothing baby. Joanna’s friends are here.” Craig said pointing to Aden and I.

Leila looked at us, “Hi. I’m Leila.” she smiled.

“Hi. I’m Lucy and this is Aden.” I said gesturing to Aden.

She turned back to Craig, “Daddy I’m hungry.” she said.

“Alright then how about I go and make breakfast for all of us. Pancakes sound good to everyone?” Craig asked.

“Fine with me.” Joanna said and Aden and I nodded.

“And since I’m cooking you get the pleasure of waking up Max.” Craig said.

“Ooh…I have an idea.” I smiled.

“I know that look…I like that look.” Joanna smiled.

“What are you going to do?” Leila asked.

“Yeah…share.” Aden replied.

“C’mon.” I said and walked next door to Max’s room.

“Joanna…you remember that sleepover we had senior year?”

“Yeah….” Joanna replied.

“Do you remember what we did the next morning?” I asked.

“Oh my god yes!” she said.

“Well I think you and I may be able to recreate that.” I replied.

“What are you going to do?!?” Aden asked.

“Watch and see.” Joanna and I smiled and we opened the door.

“One…two…THREE!” I screamed and Joanna and I belly flopped onto Max’s half inflated air mattress.

He went flying and hit the closet doors.

“What the fuck was that?!?” He asked scrambling up from the floor.

Joanna and I really wanted to reply but we couldn’t. We couldn’t breathe because we were laughing so damn hard.

“That was your wake up call dude.” Aden laughed.

“Holy shit! When did you guys get here?” Max asked looking between Aden and I.

“About an hour ago…we broke into your house.” I smiled.

“I noticed.” he laughed.

“C’mon Uncle Max…Daddy’s making pancakes.” Leila said and grabbed Max’s hand and began to drag him from the room.

“C’mon…lets go and get pancakes…Craig’s are the best.” Joanna said.

After a breakfast of some of the best pancakes I’d had in my life we began to discuss what we were going to do for the day. Finally we decided it would be fun to rent ATV’s and go camping.

Aden and I were still in the sweats we’d worn on the plane so we grabbed our bags from the car so we could change. I pulled on a pair of jean shorts, a blue and black Sinful shirt and my favorite black Converse, my hollow grenade necklace around my neck. I walked out of the bathroom and found my friends in the kitchen.

Joanna had changed from her pajamas into a black and gold Rockstar shirt, denim shorts similar to mine and DC shoes, her hair in a high ponytail. Next to her was Aden in a shirt with Bowie splashed on the front, denim shorts and low rise Converse. Both were packing food for dinner that night since we‘d probably grab some fast food on the way out to the desert.

“Where are the guys?” I asked.

“Craig took Leila to pick up her sleeping bag from Gabby and Max is still getting dressed.” Aden replied.

I nodded, “Hey Joanna do you have any hair ties I can borrow?” I asked.

“Yeah they’re on my dresser.” she replied.

“Thanks.” I smiled and headed towards her room.

I couldn’t believe that a lie had just slipped off my tongue like that. It used to be that I couldn’t lie to my friends to save my life but lately it was getting easier and easier. Instead of heading to Joanna’s room straight off I headed to Max’s.

“Max?” I asked knocking quietly.

There was sound of rushed movement and a few seconds later Max’s door opened.

“Oh it’s you Lucy…I thought it was Joanna.” he smirked and walked back into his room, motioning for me to follow.

I closed the door behind me as he pulled a mirror covered in lines of powder.

“You in?” he asked.

“Depends what is it?” I asked not willing to try something I’d never done before and attempt to hang out with my friends while trying to hide it.

“Just Oxys.” he smiled.

“Then yes.” I replied.

He grinned and began to cut up another pill. Soon after I emerged from Max’s room a little more glassy eyed than I had been before and walked to Joanna’s room where I grabbed the hair ties I’d told them I originally had gone after and plaited my hair into two braids.

Craig and Leila returned a short time later and we grabbed our backpacks and headed out. There was a place to rent ATV’s where you could just ride them out back afterwards so we headed there after stopping at a sporting goods store and picking up what we’d need to camp out.

I picked out a black and pink one with a helmet while the others grabbed theirs. Aden’s was red, Joanna got a blue one, then Max got black and Craig got white with a pink and white helmet for Leila. Once everything was taken care of we climbed on and headed out.

It was a blast just speeding through the desert with my friends. Craig had brought along a portable iPod dock so we had plugged Joanna’s ipod in and music was blasting even if we could only partly hear it.

About 3 we pulled over and decided to eat lunch. We laid out a blanket and began to unpack the sandwiches and juice. We were about halfway through when we decided that this was a good place to stop for the night.

Craig and Max set about putting up the 5 person tent while Aden, Joanna, Leila and I watched. It was quite amusing to watch them bumble about trying to figure out which poles went where. It took over an hour but it finally got put up.

While the guys went to get firewood the four of us girls got to setting up the tent. We laid out the sleeping bags we’d bought. Aden’s green bag went against one wall, next went my pink one, Joanna’s purple, Leila’s Wizards of Waverly Place sleeping bag, then Craig and Max’s blue ones. By the time we had set up everything inside the guys had gotten a fire started outside.

“This looks awesome.” I smiled as I sat down.

“And it’s just in time because it’s getting dark.” Aden added.

“And that means it’s time for the best part of camping…s’mores.” Max smiled.

“Nope…real food first Max…dessert last.” Craig scolded.

“Aww…Daddy do we have to?” Leila asked.

“Yes ma’am. I’m not going to listen to you mother when you tell her that I let you get away with no real dinner.” Craig replied.

“I won’t tell Mommy!” Leila replied.

Craig just looked at her and she fell silent.

We used old coat hangers and speared hot dogs onto the ends and held them over the flames. They were absolutely amazing. As were the s’mores.

After that we decided to change into our pajamas. I pulled on a pair of neon green shorts and a Sonic The Hedgehog t-shirt, a From First To Last hoodie and black Uggs. Joanna was in an Angry Birds tee, red basketball shorts and flip flops with a Metal Mullisha hoodie. Next was Aden in a mustache tee, gray sweat Capri pants, a ‘I <3 Dinos’ hoodie and flip flops. Then Leila changed into Tinkerbell pajamas with matching slippers and a Tinkerbell hoodie.

When we emerged the guys went in and changed. They walked out a few minuets later. Craig was in a tank top, basketball shorts and sneakers with a Young And Reckless hoodie. Max was next to him in a BFMV hoodie, the shirt he’d worn earlier and basketball shorts.

“Dude…I gotta pee.” I said feeling the familiar pressure in my bladder.

“Wow for once it’s not me.” Joanna laughed.

“Yeah well who’s going with me? I’m not going out there alone.” I said staring out at the dark expance around our campsite.

“I’ll go with you.” Max said.

“Great! Thank you! Anyone else gotta go?” I asked and everyone shook their heads.

Max and I grabbed flashlights and headed out. We walked a few feet from the camp before I found a rock I could hide behind. After giving Max strict instructions to not move from the spot where he stood I walked around.

After I had finished my business I was walking back around to where Max was waiting when I caught something out of the corner of my eye that looked like a snake. I screamed bloody murder and a moment later Max was running around the rock.

“What’s wrong?!?” he asked.

“Snake!” I yelled pointing to where I’d seen the shadow.

Max cast the beam from his flashlight over to where I pointed. It didn’t land on a snake at all though. Instead it fell on a rabbit and Max burst into laughter.

“Shut up!” I said smacking his arm.

“I’m s-sorry but you were s-scared by a rabbit! What? Did you think he was going to steal your Trix?” he asked doubled over in laughter.

“Fuck you!” I replied and turned on my heel and began to walk back to camp.

“Lucy! Wait!” Max said.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“I’m sorry okay? I didn’t mean to laugh but you have to admit that it was a little funny.” he said.

I glared at him but couldn’t help but smile, “Fine it was a little funny.” I replied.

“See? Now I have a way to make it up to you.” he replied and from his hoodie pulled out two oxys and a bottle of water.

“All is forgiven.” I smiled and took one of the pills from his hand, chewed them and downed some water before handing him back the bottle and watching as he did the same.

Once he had his down we headed back to the camp.

“Hey what was with the screaming?” Craig asked.

Max and I started laughing.

“I thought I saw a snake…it turned out to be a rabbit.” I laughed.

“Seriously?” Aden laughed.

“Yeah…it was funny as fuck. She screamed and everything.” Max smirked.

I rolled my eyes and plopped down on the ground beside Leila and helped her make her 4th s’more of the night. Soon however her sugar high crashed and she was sound asleep in Joanna’s lap.

“Hey let me take her Joanna.” Craig said reaching for his daughter.

“No it’s okay. She’s not really heavy.” Joanna replied.

“Yeah but she kicks in her sleep.” Craig said.

“Craig I said it’s fine.” Joanna laughed smiling up at him.

He smiled back down at her, his brown eyes warm with something I wasn‘t quite able to put my finger on. I glanced at Aden but she was texting Brian who was taking care of Jude alone for the first time ever. How she got reception out in the middle of east jesus nowhere I’ll never know but she didn’t return the look.

“You sure?” Craig asked.

“Totally. I’m actually going to crash too. I’m tired as fuck from my wakeup call this morning.” Joanna said with a glance at Aden and I.

“Oh you’ll live.” Aden said not looking up from the screen of her phone.

She bid the rest of us goodnight and carried Leila into the tent. Soon Craig followed and so did Aden leaving Max and I.

“So how are things in Huntington?” he asked.

“They’re good…a little quiet but good.” I replied.

“What do you mean?” Max asked.

“Well…the guys are recording so I don’t see Matt much. Aden and Katie are busy with the babies and Lexi is always in the studio with Jimmy. So most of the time it’s pretty much me and Nightmare and as much as I love my dog he’s not the best at holding a conversation.” I replied.

“Well why don’t you move out here with Joanna and us? I mean I could totally move into the living room and you could have my room.” Max said.

“Okay but there’s one problem with that.” I replied.

“And what would that be?” Max asked.

“Um…I really don’t wanna leave my boyfriend almost 400 miles away.” I replied.

“But you just said you never see him.” Max protested.

“Yeah not as much as I would like but it’s not like I go days without seeing him. I mean I see him late at night and all day if I go to the studio with him.” I replied.

“I just want you to be happy Lucy.” Max replied.

“I know Maxy but-” however I didn’t get to finish my sentence because suddenly Max’s lips were on mine.

I wanted to put a stop to this, pull away, shove him back…something… but my brain seemed to have shut off. His lips were soft and the metal of his lip rings clashed with mine in the cool desert night. It just felt..right.

A few seconds later I distantly heard the zip of the tent door and there was gasp. Max and I jumped apart and saw Joanna looking wide eyed at us.

“Joanna!” I said jumping back away from Max even though I knew she’d seen us kissing.

“You and me…out there…now.” she said and before I could say anything she grabbed my hand and dragged me away from Max.

“What the fuck did I just see?” she asked once we were a few yards from the tent.

“I-I-I…” I began but she held up her hand to silence me.

“Did you seriously just fucking sit there with your tongue down Max’s throat?” she asked.

“Yes and-” but she cut me off.

“Did you forget about Matt? You know tall…big muscles…lots of tattoos? You know your BOYFRIEND?!?” she said her accent thick.

“No I didn’t okay? What just happened between Max and I…I don’t know Joanna…it just happened! We were talking about the fact that I’m miserable at home and he asked me to move in with you and him and Craig and then when I was telling him I wouldn’t ever leave Matt he just kissed me!” I replied.

“And what? He had superglue on his lips?”

“No but…oh my god Joanna it felt right! I liked it! But I love Matt! And now…now I’m fucking confused as hell.” I replied and collapsed on the ground.

Joanna sighed and knelt down beside me, “Lucy look at me and tell me the truth. Did you and Max get high tonight?” she asked.

“What? No!” I replied the lie slipping just quickly from my mouth as it had earlier.

“Lucy…I’m not going to be pissed just tell me the truth.” she replied.

“Okay fine yes! On the way back from when I had to pee. We took a couple of Oxys.” I replied.

“Okay well then maybe that could be why. Drugs make you do and feel things that are out of the ordinary. This could all just be some drug induced thing.” she replied.

I shook my head, “Joanna….I don’t know….I mean it was just one…I’ve done more than that before…it wasn’t like I was seriously high.” I replied.

“Wait…you’re doing more than one oxy now? Since when? Are you still doing them all the time like you were before?” she asked.

“What? No! I’m not! It was once right before Max left and I took two because one didn’t work and then it was one more time the day after the guys went back in the studio. I was lonely and had nothing to do. I swear it was only twice.” I replied.

“You swear?” she asked and I nodded hoping my lie was convincing.

“Fine I trust you.” she sighed sitting down on the ground beside me.

I tried not to sigh with relief.

“So what are you going to do? If you think you like Max it’s not fair to Matt.” she replied.

“I know. Look I’m just going to keep my distance from Max while I’m here. And when we get home I’m going to tell Matt what happened. Hopefully he’ll understand.” I said with a shaky sigh.

“Maybe. But for now lets get some sleep.” Joanna said and stood.

I followed in her lead and we headed back to camp.

“Lucy…look I’m sorry.” Max said however Joanna stepped between us.

“Max not now okay? Let’s just go to bed.” she said.

Max nodded and we walked into the tent. I kicked off my shoes and pulled off my jacket before climbing into my sleeping bag. I lay awake a long time after both Joanna and Max had fallen asleep thinking of that kiss with Max. It had to mean nothing….I had to believe that I loved Matt. Max was just a friend.

However the more I tried to convince myself of that fact, the less it seemed to be true.