‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Double The Fun Double The Trouble

Lucy’s POV

“You are not to go out of your chaperone’s view at all times. If you do there will be penalty.” Gloria recited as Max and I sat in front of her. .

They had given Max and I a day pass from the center so we could go to my OBGYN appointment and do some shopping so I could have some clothes. We were doing well and for the most part they trusted us. We still had to have a chaperone from the center go with us to watch but for the most part we were on our own.

Gloria was the one that had let us have the pass and therefore had the task of lecturing us like a couple of kids. She meant business but I could tell by the lilt in her voice that she knew Max and I weren’t going to pull any shenanigans

“Okay Gloria we got it. Can we go now? My appointment is in like thirty minutes. Besides Joanna is waiting out front and she’s been on tour for the past 2 months. I miss her!” I said.

Gloria smiled, “Go. But remember the rules!” she said as Max and I walked out of her office.

The moment we walked out of the doors that lead to the administration hall I saw Joanna texting someone on her phone. She wore a teal Rammstein shirt, jeans and brightly colored Osiris sneakers.

“Joanna!” I yelled.

She looked up and smiled before jumping up and coming over. She hugged Max and I.

“Holy shit! You look pregnant!” Joanna said cupping the bump that had appeared over the past few weeks.

“I know. And the only clothes that fit me are my sweats.” I laughed.

“Well that’s why we got the day off! You gotta go see the doctor about the spawn and you need new clothes.” Joanna smiled.

“Well then lets get out of here then this place is driving me nuts!” Max said.

We headed out to a waiting van that the center had provided. As we drove Joanna asked us about how everything was going.

Both of us seemed to have cracked the reasons we were so addicted. Max’s apparently stemmed from all the shit he went through as a kid involving his dad leaving and such. I had similar issues thanks to my parents divorce when I was 3 but mine was more of a rebellion against the well behaved person I had been all my life. I was the LAST person any one expected to end up in rehab. The therapist as the center said something about being repressed or some shit. I don’t know I only listened to half of what she said. I know not smart since I was supposed to be getting better but I knew I wasn’t going to go back to drugs. I had a baby to look after.

We pulled up to the medical center and climbed out. My OBGYN was on the 3rd floor so we took the elevator up. With paperwork and waiting it took a grand total of 45 minuets before the doctor finally saw us.

“Why do doctors offices always smell so funny?” Max asked as he opened and closed drawers, Joanna taking the set next to them.

“Because they just do! And will you two get out of there? What are you 4?” I asked.

“Damn. She’s already turning on the mom voice.” Joanna said sitting back.

“I wouldn’t have to if you both would sit still!” I replied.

They both stuck their tongues out at me just as the doctor came in. She looked just older than me with long blonde hair and blue eyes behind red framed glasses. She stood about a head shorter than me and had a kind smile.

“Ms. Patterson I’m Dr. White and I’ll be your OBGYN.” she said shaking my hand.

“Nice to meet you, please call me Lucy and this is my boyfriend Max and my friend Joanna.” I said.

“I know. I’m quite the fan of both of your bands. I won’t lie and say I’m not excited that I got the chance to be your doctor.” she smiled.

“Wow. You look way to clean cut to be a fan.” Max said looking a little surprised.

I rolled my eyes, “Excuse my boyfriend he has no filter.” I laughed.

“It’s okay. And for information I am much different than I look.” Dr. Winter smiled and pulled up the sleeve of her doctors coat to reveal a trail of ink ascending up her arm.

“Very nice.” I smiled.

She smiled back, “Now lets talk. Tell me how your pregnancy is going so far.”

I told her about the fact that other than morning sickness and a few odd cravings for things like pickles and strawberries, both of which I hated with a passion, I was okay. She wrote everything down before asking me to lay back.

After I pushed up my Lollipop and Cigarettes T-shirt and lavender Ed Hardy sweatpants, she picked up the wand and ran it over my stomach.

“Okay lets see if we can see the baby.” she said.

“Oh!” she said a moment later.

“Oh? Oh what? Oh good or Oh bad?” I asked.

“Oh as in there’s more than one in here.” she smiled.

“More than one?” I asked.

“As in twins?” Joanna asked.

“Yes. It seems that you Lucy are having twins.” Dr. White smiled.

“Twins? Like more than one baby?”

She nodded, “Yes and it appears since they are in different amniotic sacks that they are fraternal twins.”

I was once again stunned. I was pregnant with twins. Two babies. At one time! Holy fuck I was a baby factory!

The doctor wiped the goo off my stomach and I sat up.

“Alright now since you have a history of drugs I would really like to do an amniocentesis where we take a sample of the amniotic fluid and test it for abnormalities. There is a small risk but it’s minimal.” Dr. White said.

“A test?” I asked.

“Yes. It can be done right here by one of our doctors and you’ll be out the same day. There is a little discomfort and it will tell us if either of your babies are abnormal.” she replied.

I nodded before turning to her, “Is there any way that it could also test for DNA?” I asked.

“DNA?” Dr. White asked.

“Yes. Um…I had sex with my ex boyfriend shortly before we broke up and then Max and I got together soon after so it’s up in the air as to which could be the father.” I replied.

Dr. White nodded, “Okay then we will test for that as well then. No problem.” she smiled.

“Thank you.” I nodded.

We finished up and she gave me the sonograms to keep. I thanked her and we headed to van.

“Oh my god! You’re carrying two fetuses!” Joanna said staring at the pictures.

“Joanna do you want one of the pictures? We have 3.” I replied.

“FUCK YES!” she said and tore off the bottom of the 3 and handed me the other 2.

I tore the other two apart and handed one to Max. He stared at them and I could tell how much it was bothering him not knowing if they were his. I really wanted them to be. I didn’t know what he would do if they weren’t his.

Everyday that we saw each other he would talk to my stomach or just sit there touching it. He already loved them and I didn’t want to have to face him if they weren’t his.

We pulled up to the mall and climbed out.

“So I’m starving.” I said as we walked into the food court.

“Well that’s what you get for getting pregnant.” Joanna smirked.

“Well what do you want? I‘ll get lunch and you two go sit down.” Max asked.

“Um…a Chic-Fil-A chicken sandwich, a large fry from McDonalds, a chocolate milkshake from Dairy Queen…oh and one of those big chocolate chip cookies from Mrs. Fields!” I said.

“Damn…okay I’ll have a chicken sandwich and waffle fries from Chic-Fil-A.” Joanna said.

While he went to get the food Joanna and I took a seat at one of the tables.

“So I’m scared.” I said.

Joanna looked up from the sonogram, “About what?”

“About what’s going to happen if the babies aren’t Max’s. He wants them to be his so much. I’m afraid that if they aren’t it will crush him. And then he might relapse or leave me and I don’t want to be without him Joanna. I love him more than I you can even fathom. He’s just…he’s the perfect person for me.” I said and tears began to form in my eyes.

“Don’t cry! Max isn’t going to leave you. He loves you.” Joanna said.

“But…god I sound ridiculous don’t I? “ I laughed.

“No but Max does love you. He’s not going to leave you. He‘ll stick by you even if they are Matt‘s” she replied.

“Oh and I’m still pissed at you for letting it slip. Just letting you know.” I replied.
“I’m sorry!” she replied.

I just smirked and shook my head thinking back to a few weeks before.

*5 Weeks Earlier*

I was watching Law & Order: SVU on TV when Gloria told me I had a call from someone named Matt. I only knew one so I jumped up to go answer it.

“Hey what’s up?” I asked.

“Are you pregnant?” he asked.

“What?”

“Joanna said you were pregnant.” he replied.

“Oh my god I’m going to kill that whore beast! Yeah Matt…I am. But I swear I was going to call and tell you soon. I mean I know that I should’ve told you sooner since it’s possibly yours but-”

“IT MIGHT BE MINE?!?”

“J-Joanna didn’t tell you that?” I asked.

“NO!”

“FUCK! Look Matt…I…” but words failed me.

“Lucy…I don’t know what to say.”

“Well neither do I. All I can think about is how I’m going to fucking murder Joanna.” I sighed.

“Look…if the baby is mine…I just…I want you to know I’m not just going to up and leave you and Max alone to take care of it. I’ll be responsible for it. I promise.” he said.

I sighed, “Thanks Matt. That really means a lot.”

“Alright. Look will you please keep me updated on the baby? I’ll come see you as soon as I can okay?”

“I will and that will be great.” I said.

“Alright well…go get some rest. I’ll call you later.” he replied.

“Okay. Bye.” I said and hung up the phone.

A few moments later I picked the receiver back up and called Joanna’s phone. It rang a few times before going to voicemail. I tried 3 more times but it went straight to voicemail so I decided to try another number.

I called Aden who answered.

“Hey! What’s up?” she asked.

“Can I please speak to Joanna? She won’t answer her phone.” I said as calm as I could.

“Sure.” Aden said.

“Thank you just don’t tell her it’s me.” I said.

“Okay…” Aden replied obviously lost.

“Hello?” Joanna said a few moments later.

“WHY THE FUCK DID YOU TELL MATT?!?” I screamed.

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! It just slipped out!” she replied.

“Slipped out? Slipped OUT?!? I just had to explain to him that I may or may not be carrying his spawn! I can’t believe that you fucking told him!” I replied.

“I’m sorry! I really am! It was a complete accident!”

I sighed. It was hard as fuck for me to be mad at my friends. No matter what.

“I know. I just…god.” I sighed.

“What did he say?” she asked

“He’s going to stick around for the baby at least.” I replied.

“Good.” she replied.

“Yeah. Well I have to fucking pee again. I swear I’m turning into you. I’ll call you later.” I sighed.

She laughed, “Okay I’ll talk to you later. And I’m really really really sorry.” she replied.

“I know.” I replied and hung up.


A few moments later Max returned with our food snapping me from my thoughts. He sat mine down in front of me and I dug in. Once we had all eaten we headed to do some shopping for maternity clothes for me. I managed to find a few things before we hit up Hot Topic. When we got there Joanna found a set of stuffed Mario and Luigi dolls. She insisted she buy them for the babies to get them ‘started off right’. Once we were done we headed back to the center.

We said our goodbyes and Max and I headed back inside. It was almost time for afternoon therapy so Max and I said our goodbyes by the front door.

“I’ll see you at dinner.” he said and kissed me softly.

“Alright. Love you babe.” I smiled.

“Love you too.” He said before kneeling down.

“And you two too. Daddy loves you.” he murmured against my belly.

I smiled as he stood up and kissed me again before parting ways. Sighing I laid my hand on my stomach. I could only hope that these babies were his.

*******************************

I sat in the back of the van nervously tapping my fingers against the armrest of the seat.

“Lucy breathe.” Matt said enclosing his large hand over mine.

“Yeah babe things are going to be okay. We’re going to work this out. No matter what happens.” Max said.

“I know I just…Why would they me down to the doctors office for the results if there was nothing wrong?” I asked.

“Maybe it’s just procedure.” Max replied.

“I don’t know. I just have a feeling that something is wrong.” I sighed.

Today I was getting the results for the amniocentesis I’d had done the previous week. Dr. White had told me that she was going to call me with the results. However instead she’d called and asked to see me at the office. Her tone of voice had scared me so much I’d called Matt and had him fly out so that he could be here just in case.

We pulled up to the building and headed to the OBGYN office. When I checked in I was ushered straight back to Dr. White’s office.

“It’s nice to see you again Lucy.” Dr. White said as the three of us walked in.

“Nice to see you again. This is my ex Matt.” I replied.

“Nice to meet you. Now if all three of us will have a seat we’ll discuss the test results.” Dr. White said.

“I-Is there something wrong with the babies?” I asked my voice shaking. Max reached over and took my hand giving it a squeeze.

“No. Nothing like that. And I would like to tell you that you are having a boy and a girl judging by the X and Y chromosomes.” she smiled.

“Really? One of each?” I smiled.

“Yes. Now to the paternity which is why I called you in.” she replied.

“Who’s is it?” Matt asked.

“Well…it seems that your situation is an odd one. When a woman ovulates she can produce more than one egg at a time which it seems that you have since we have two fraternal twins. When you and Matt had sex you got pregnant.” Dr. White said.

“So the babies are Matt’s.” I said.

“One of them is. The boy to be exact.” Dr. White replied.

“One of them? What do you mean one of them? How can only one of them be Matt’s?” Max asked.

“Because the other one is yours Max. Matt’s sperm only fertilized one of the eggs. Yours the other. So Matt you have a son and Max you have a daughter. Congratulations.” Dr. White said.

The room lasped into silence. Well until there was a loud ‘thunk’ as Matt’s body slid from the chair and onto the floor. He’d passed out.

I would’ve helped him up but I was too much in shock. I was pregnant…by two men…at once. It was too much for me to take and I too passed out.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfits