‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Defective Tests

"Ugh, I feel like hell." I said rolling over. I felt snuggly warm under the covers with Craig at the moment but my stomach felt like it was ready to spew everything out of it.

"Do you think it's the weather changes at all?" he asked me.

"No, it just, I don't know. This is my normal air. I grew up in New York air. It shouldn't make me sick." I replied.

He sighed as he rolled over and grabbed his package of twizzlers from the end table. As soon as he opened it, the artificial strawberry scent filled my nose and I felt my stomach lurch. I got up and ran through Caleb's apartment towards the bathroom. Once I was in I slammed the door and hugged the porcelain throne.

I spewed the contents of everything I've eaten the day before and felt just as bad afterwards. I heard a knock on the door just as I flushed the toilet.

"What?" I said. I turned and saw Caleb walk in, Craig following.

"Did you make a mess on the floor?" he asked.

"Yes I feel fine Caleb, thank you for asking." I replied sarcastically.

"What is going on with you lately Jo?" he asked.

"Nothing, why?" I replied.

"Well for starters you threw up when you smelled twizzlers. Those are one of your favorite candies. You’ve throw up randomly the past few days and on top of that, you’re just moody." Craig said.

I stood up and straightened out my shirt, "I probably caught something." I replied.

Caleb walked up to me and touched my stomach, "Are you getting fat?" he asked.

I looked at him and, almost like a reflex, punched him in the face. He stumbled back and knocked into Craig causing them both to tumble. I looked down at both of them with an expression of rage.

"Fuckin really? You don't say that to a girl Caleb!" I said before stepping over them and heading towards the kitchen.

I stood in the kitchen and looked down at my stomach. Examining it I noticed that it has actually gotten noticeably bigger.

“Joanna, do you think you’re pregnant?” Craig asked me.

My eyes shot up at him, “I can’t be.” I replied.

“Why not?” he asked as Caleb walked in.

“I took a test a few months ago. It was negative. So there cant-“

“Wait, you thought you were pregnant?” he asked cutting me off.

“Yeah, but that’s besides the point. It was negative then so if I have gotten pregnant since then, I wouldn’t be showing. Caleb’s probably right I’m just getting fat. Just gotta hit up the gym or something, wanna go Caleb?” I said rambling.

They both stared at me for a moment. “Joanna,” Caleb started running his fingers through his hair, “You should probably go to the doctor before going back on tour. If this is like, a virus, you should get something for it.”

I sighed, “Okay. Let’s go to the doctor then.”

I went into the guest room and grabbed my ‘Zombie Killing Hoodie’ to go with my ‘Zombie Killing Shirt’, and slid on my slippers. I walked out and grabbed my bag before joining the guys in the car.

“Ugh, look at how many people are here!” I whispered.

“Shh,” Caleb said sitting down, “how are you feeling?”

“Like shit, not as bad as before but eh.” I replied.

Craig sighed and pulled me over to lean on him. I rested my head on his shoulder and pulled up my legs. There were a bunch of sick people in this room and I could not get comfortable. I was about to close my eyes to try and nap until I felt my phone vibrate.

From: Dimplez :D

What’s going on? Are you okay?!”


I sighed as I read it and texted him back.

To: Dimplez :D

I’m fine, just getting checked out at the dr. I keep barfing.


I waited for a text but nothing came back, so I decided to try taking a nap again but got called in.

“Am I dumb or weren’t these people here before me?” I whispered to Craig and Caleb.

Caleb shrugged, “Why are you complaining? Less waiting.”

He started for the door and Craig and I followed, “Wasn’t complaining.” I mumbled under my breath.

I sat up on the table while Craig took one of the chairs. Caleb started to go through the cabinets and drawers. “CALEB! Cut the shit!” I whispered. “Fuck, now I know how Lucy felt when Max and I went to the doctor with her.”

He laughed before sitting down, “Sorry sissy.”

“Don’t fuckin call me that.” I said glaring at him.

“Dude, your making her crabby.” Craig said elbowing Caleb and trying not to smirk.

I was about to retort when there was a knock on the door and a doctor walked in.

“Dr. Harrison?” Caleb and I both said.

“Well if it isn’t the infamous Toscano’s. I thought the name on the chart was familiar.” He said with a smile.

“Wow, I haven’t seen you in years!” I smiled.

“Yep, moved on up from pediatrics.” He said returning the smile. “So Joanna what seems to be the trouble today?”

“Well, I’ve been throwing up sporadically the past few days. I seem to have gained some weigh too and no,” I said holding up a hand, “I am not pregnant. I took a test about 3 months ago and it was negative. So even if I got pregnant within that time I wouldn’t be showing.”

He nodded, “Could it hurt to take another? Just for arguments sake?” he asked.

I shrugged “Sure.”

“Alright.” He smiled before handing me a cup. “You know what to do.”

I walked to the bathroom down the hall and handled my business. When I walked back in I handed him the cup and he went off to the mini lab to test it, leaving Caleb, Craig and I alone.

“So,” Caleb smirked, “You giving me a niece or nephew?”

“Neither at the moment.” I smirked back, “I’m not pregnant.”

“And what if you are?” Craig asked me.

“Then, well then I guess I’m producing spawn.” I replied.

“Well then, how about we rock paper scissor it out until the results come in?” Caleb suggested.

“Is that safe?” I asked.

“Sure.” He replied.

“Let’s do it.” I smiled.

The game was rather intense. Craig was beating both Caleb and I, so the pressure on Craig was getting unbearable for him. He suggested forfeiting a few times but we wouldn’t allow it. Finally the doctor came in.

He sat down on his stool and smirked, “So, guess what?”

“I was right.” I smirked back.

“Wrong!” he said smiling and pointing a finger.

The smiled dropped from my face, “WHAT?!” I exclaimed.

“You are in fact pregnant. I actually poured some of your urine into multiple cups and ran multiple tests and they all came up positive.” He replied.

My jaw dropped as my hands went straight to my stomach.

“YES!” Craig and Caleb exclaimed.

“WHAT?!” I yelled looking at them.

Caleb stood up and started doing a dance while chanting “I’m gunna be an uncle!”

Craig shot up out of his chair and planted a kiss on my lips. When he pulled away Dr. Harrison was laughing and Caleb was doing his little dance that Craig joined in on. However I found myself running to the garbage can in the middle of the room and vomited. When I collected myself I turned around and everyone was staring at me.

“Yes, I’ll write you a prescription for that.” Dr. Harrison said.

I sighed as he wrote down my prescription. He handed it to me and I thanked him. After speaking to the receptionist we left. When we reached the car, I got in the back and Caleb closed the door before Craig got in. Caleb pulled him towards the trunk and started talking to him. I couldn’t quite make out what he was saying but grew a little uneasy.

I reached over the seats and opened the passenger door, “Guy’s, I’m hungry.” I said trying to get them in the car.

Craig turned around and gleamed at me while Caleb smiled and got his keys out of his pocket. Finally they got in the car and we left.

“What do you wanna eat?” Caleb asked.

“Hmm,” I started, “Something Italian, like pasta or something.”

Craig was sitting up front in silence, thankfully Caleb said something before I did.

“C’mon dude,” he sat patting him on the chest, “Baby number 2! Get pumped!”

Craig broke out laughing, “Dude, I’m so psyched right now I’m just still in shock.”

I smiled as we pulled into a parking lot. When we got out, I grabbed my bag and took a long breath through my nose to get the scent. The smell didn’t make me nauseous and that pleased me. We walked in and were seated in a booth. At that point I decided to text Matt and let him know what was going on. It didn’t take long for me to get a response though, as soon as I picked up my menu, my phone started ringing.

“Hello?” I said.

“Are you serious?!” he said shocked.

“Yeah, I am.” I laughed.

“What’s going to happen?” he asked after a moment.

“As far as?” I asked.

“The tour.” He started, “We still have a few more shows.”

“Dude, I’m still touring with you. I’m apparently at least 3 months preggo and I’ve been with you guys this long, why wouldn’t I finish it out?” I replied.

“You up for it?” he asked.

“Duh.” I replied.

I heard him sigh, and knowing him he was probably running a hand down his face. “Alright. When will we see you again?” he asked.

“Uh, we’re in the same state, you wanna see me today, you’ll see me today. It’s whenever Matt.” I said laughing.

“Okay. Uhm, am I allowed to tell the guys? They’re pretty worried about you.” He said.

“Yes, you can tell them.” I replied. We spoke for a few more minutes before hanging up.

“Jo.” Caleb said. I looked up at him, “Are you gunna tell her what you want?”

I looked at the waitress and back at him, “What did you get?”

He scratched the back of his head, “The usual, spaghetti with meatballs and sausage.”

I looked at the waitress, “I’ll have the same thing.” She nodded before walking away.

“So, what do you want the baby to be?” Craig asked me smiling.

I smiled back, “I’ll be happy with either.”

“I want a niece.” Caleb said.

“Really? Why is that?” I asked.

“Dunno, I think it’s because mom and dad only gave me a little sister to beat up on now I need a little girl to be nice to.” He smirked. Craig began to laugh.

I joined in when I remembered what Max said, “What is this? Does your band just get pregnant in twos?”

“Shit, I gotta tell Lucy.” I said pulling out my phone. I dialed the number and Gloria picked up on the third ring.

“Hey Gloria, can I speak with Lucy please?”

“Of course Joanna! How have you been?” she asked.

“I’m alright,” I giggled, “Just so you know, that test you gave me was defective.”

“You’re pregnant?!” she exclaimed.

“Yes.” I laughed.

“OH! Congratulations! Does Lucy and Maxwell know?” she asked.

“Nope, that’s why I’m calling.”

“Oh, I will transfer you right now!” she said excitedly.

I waited a moment before Lucy answered, “Joannaaaaaa.”

“Luuuuuucyyyyyyy.” I replied smiling.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Not much, eating with Caleb and Craig. Trying to figure out who else is going to get pregnant with Lexi since our band somehow gets pregnant in two’s.” I replied.

“Haha, shit. You’re telling me. What are you guys eating?” she asked.

I waited a few seconds for my statement to set in, and finally it clicked.

“Wait, YOU’RE PREGNANT?!” she squealed.

“Yes.” I laughed, “Gloria’s test was defective.”

All I could hear was screaming from the other line, when she finally calmed down, I spoke.

“Did they give you juice?” I asked.

“No……maybe.” She laughed.

“Splendid. Tell Mr. Green, I see my food coming, and I am sweating in anticipation.”

“Oh my god, now you feel my pain.” She laughed. “Okay, congratulations! Bye!”

I smiled and slid my phone into my bag as my food was put in front of me. I smelled it to make sure it was going to sit right for a while, and no nausea came about. So I dug in.

After we left the restaurant, my day was filled with shopping and no vomiting. I got some new maternity clothes, which was one of the weirdest things for me. It kept bringing up feelings from my senior year in high school, and at moments I almost felt depressed. I could tell Caleb would pick up on it and we would leave the store and go to another one. I kept telling myself that this pregnancy would be perfect and nothing like my first one. That was the mindset I gave myself and that was the one I was going to stick to.

“Do you need help fitting all that in your bags?” Caleb asked me walking into the guest room.

“I don’t know why we did all this shopping when I don’t have enough bags.” I laughed.

“Well at least your good for a while.” He said with a smile. “Jo, you have no idea how happy Craig is. Every time you went to the bathroom, which was only 40 billion times, he watched after you. He would go on and on about how excited he is. You know, I’m not gunna lie, I love Zacky to death but, I’m happy it’s Craig you’re having a kid with. I know he won’t be like Trent.”

Him saying Trent was like a slap in the face, and he knew it. He walked over and pulled me into a hug. “I know he won’t be.” I told him.

“I know. But hey, it’s getting late. We should all probably go to bed, plus you’re going to see Avenged in the morning aren’t you?” he asked.

“Yep. Sleep sounds awesome right now.” I said folding a shirt and setting it on the dresser.

Caleb kissed my head and walked out high-fiving Craig as he walked in. “Night bro!” Caleb said.

“Night.” Craig replied with a smile. He turned to me and tackled me to the bed planting a big kiss on my lips.

“Oh hai thar!” I giggled.

He smiled and started to rub my stomach. “What do you think it is?” he asked.

“Violent.” I replied.

He smiled again and got up to put on his pajama shorts. I laid down and got in a comfortable position on my back and closed my eyes. Craig turned off the lights and climbed into bed. I was expecting him to lay down and pull me towards him but instead he pulled my shirt up a little bit, rested his head on my chest and started to rub my stomach as he started talking and cooing at it. I smiled as I ran my fingers through his hair, something I always did when I was tired.

I stayed up for a few minutes as he continued to rub, coo and talk to my stomach, a moment later he kissed it and I had this anxious feeling that I couldn’t wait to start this family. My life was officially perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
New Chappy!

Let us know what you think :D