‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Halloween Surprises

-Lucy’s POV-

“I hate the fact that I’m fat and you three get to be all sexy and cute.” I frowned as I stared into mirror.

“C’mon Luce you’re pregnant! Not fat!” Lexi said.

“Says the girl who’s fucking as big around as a broom stick.” I said.

Lexi frowned and walked over and hugged me, “Just think you’ll have babies soon.” she smiled.

“Yeah I know.” I said.

We were getting ready to go out trick or treating with the kids. It wasn’t officially Halloween but the day before. The mall was holding their trick or treating the day before since Halloween fell on a Sunday this year and kids had to go to school on Monday.

I was about 31 weeks along and was set to deliver before Joanna who was 29. Dr. White told me that I would be delivering sometime around 36 weeks and it couldn’t come fast enough.

“Okay it’s official I have now peed 12 times today. That’s a new record.” Joanna said walking into Aden’s bedroom where we were dressing.

“I’ve got you beat. I went 14 yesterday.” I replied sitting on the bed where she’d flopped down.

“You’ve got double the spawn. You have the advantage.” she said.

“True.” I replied.

“Are you five done yet?” Craig called upstairs.

“Almost!” Joanna called back.

“Hey can one of you put my shoes on me?” I laughed looking at my friends.

“Sure thing.” Katie smiled and grabbed the shoes for my outfit. They were velvet magenta colored flats that matched the renaissance style dress that I wore. I was a princess complete with a tiara resting on top of my curls.

She slipped them on my feet before helping Joanna with her gold ones. Joanna was an angel, a costume we’d given her a lot of crap for since none of us were even close to angelic. However it was Craig’s idea. He was going to be devil making it a couples costume. She wore a long white dress and wings. Things were still extremely tense between Joanna and Craig. Craig apologized to Joanna countless times the day after and when he found out that she had called Gab it went all downhill from there. They began fighting and it had gotten so unbearable that Aiden and I had to step in. We even called Caleb who had flown in a few days ago to help out. Now they were civil with each other but still grew tense. We were hoping that a good night out with the kids would hopefully loosen the tension.

Katie was dressed as Red Riding hood. She had bought a red and white dress with a hood and paired it with knee high leather boots and a basket. Aden was Robin Hood in a green velvet dress with a green hat with a red feather, money bag over her shoulder and knee high chunky brown boots. Finally there was Lexi who wore a skeleton bone printed corset with a black and white tutu, elbow length skeleton gloves, skeleton print tights and a pair of skeleton print heels with a skeleton hand hair clip in her hair.

Aden helped me up while Katie pulled up Joanna. Once up we headed to the living room where Craig, Max, and Caleb were waiting with Aliana, Jude and Leila. The Avenged guy were a town away doing a small charity show. Matt had been reluctant to go with me so close to my due date but I had pushed him to go. There was no way he was going to flake out on a charity event let alone disappoint his fans. He had made me swear though that I wouldn’t have the babies until he was back which I had sworn I would refrain from doing.

“I pretty?” Aliana said running up to Katie and jumping up and down.

“Oh yes. You’re very pretty baby.” Katie said reaching down and lifting her up, resting her on her hip.

Aliana was a ballerina. She wore a pink leotard, white tights, pink ballet shoes and a pink tutu with a pink bow in her brownish blonde hair. She was adorable.

The other two kids were just as cute. Leila was dressed as Wednesday Addams which lately had become one of her favorite movies. She was dressed in a velvet dress with white cuffs and a collar, black tights, black Mary Jane’s and black braided wig. And then there was Jude. Aden had picked out a chicken costume claming he was a ‘chicken baby’.

“So we ready to rock?” Caleb asked standing up.

Caleb was going as Jason Voorhees complete with mask and machete. Max was a vampire with faux fangs, white contact lenses and coffin shaped sunglasses. His shirt was a white button down with a Dracula necklace, his pants were black slacks, a cape was around his shoulders and he wore a pair of Converse high tops. Finally there was Craig who wore black slacks, a black dress shirt, red silk tie, white and red contacts, small horns that looked real, a pair of black Vans and a walking stick. Over all our men looked pretty terrifying.

“Hell yeah lets go!” Aden said picking up Jude from his playpen.

We headed out to our cars. Joanna and I rode with Caleb, Craig and Max in Craig’s SUV while Aden, Lexi, Katie and the kids rode in Katie’s Range Rover. We drove to the mall where Craig dropped off Joanna and I and the girls dropped off the kids at the door before going out to find parking spaces.

Once we were all joined together again we headed into the mall. It was packed with people but thankfully no one paid us any attention because as much as I loved our fans I wasn’t in the mood to sign autographs and such thanks to the fact my back was killing me.

It wasn’t anything new to me to have a backache. When I was 5 I had been doing a back flip in PE and rolled off the wedge that our teacher had had us doing them on. I had landed wrong and messed up my back. Since then I’d had pains on and off. Of course the fact that for the past 3 or 4 years I’d been stage diving and jumping around on stage plus the fact I was carrying twins didn’t help matters.

When we finally left 3 hours later I was happy. I could go home and change into pajamas and curl up on the couch with hot cocoa and a heating pad for my back.

“Hey Lucy are you okay?” Caleb asked as we drove back from the mall.

“Yeah I’m fine. Just a back ache from my fucked up back.” I replied.

“Aww…poor baby. I’ll rub your back when we get home.” Max said wrapping his arms around me.

“Thank you babe.” I smiled and pulled the blue raspberry Dum-Dum from my mouth I’d snagged from Jude’s candy bag to kiss him.

By the time we got home it was pouring rain and I saw there were several cars sitting in the driveway.

“Looks like the guys are home.” Craig said as he parked behind Johnny’s Charger.

“And it looks like we’re going to have to fucking swim to the front door.” Joanna frowned.

“Agreed.” I replied.

“Well we can either make a run for it and go in or sit in the car all night. What’s your choice?” Caleb asked.

“Make a run for it.” Joanna and I replied. There was no bathroom out here so we didn’t have much choice.

We hurried as fast as we could inside but it was useless. We were soaked before we even made it half way inside.

“Damn how hard is it raining outside?” Matt asked as we walked in the front door.

“Um…do we have a life raft? We may need it soon.” Caleb replied.

“How was trick or treating?” Matt asked.

“It was great but now my back fucking kills.” I replied.

“And my feet hurt.” Joanna said.

“Well why don’t you go change and then come in the living room? I was going to go help Johnny make cocoa for the kids.” Matt replied.

Joanna, Craig, Max, Caleb and I headed to our rooms to change. I pulled off my dress and pulled on a teal maternity nightgown before putting my hair into a ponytail. Max changed into a t-shirt, sweatpants and socks before taking my hand and leading me to the living room.

“So why are you home so early?” Joanna asked a short time later as we settled down with our mugs of cocoa, Corpse Bride playing on the TV with the kids sitting entranced below it.

“The show got cancelled. The weather was horrible up there. Roads were flooding and there were car accidents…the whole nine yards.” Brian replied.

“Wow…it must be moving our way and that’s why its pouring outside.” Aden said looking outside.

Sure enough the storm was going harder outside.

“Well at least we’re in here and not out there.” Lexi replied cuddling closer to Jimmy who wrapped his arm around her and kissed her head.

“Amen.” I said enjoying the gentle massage Max was giving me.

By the time Corpse Bride ended all 3 of the kids were zonked out in front of TV, crashed from their sugar high. Craig, Brian and Johnny took the kids up to bed, Joanna claiming she was worn out and heading up along with them. Aden replaced Corpse Bride with Sweeny Todd. I laid back on Max and watched the movie. However I couldn’t shake the pain in my back and it was getting worse.

“Hey Maxy…help me up. I’m going to go take a Tylenol and go to bed.” I replied.

“You want me to go with you?” he asked.

“No. It’s okay. You stay here and watch the movie.”

“Okay babe.” he said and helped me sit up before standing and pulling me from the couch.
Just as I stood up though I felt a ‘pop’ and suddenly a gush of water from between my legs.

“Fuck!” I cursed.

Every head turned towards me.

“What?” Katie asked.

“I-I think my water just broke.” I replied.

“Are you serious?” Max asked his eyes going wide.

“Either that or I just peed myself which I’m pretty sure I didn’t.” I replied.

“Oh shit. W-What do we do?” Matt asked.

“How far apart are your contractions?” Aden asked standing up and walking over to me.

“I don’t know! I didn’t know I was even having contractions!” I replied.

“What about your backache?” Katie asked.

“Well how the fuck was I supposed to know?!? I have back problems and I’ve never had contractions before!” I snapped.

“Lucy just calm down okay?” Matt said and took my arm while Max took the other and helped me settle back down on the couch.

“So what about the contractions?” Katie asked.

“I don’t know…maybe ten or so minutes?”

“Okay then you don’t need to go to the hospital yet. Lexi you and Katie go change the sheets on Max and Lucy’s bed and when they’re done we’ll go lay you down and wait for them to get closer.” Aden replied.

Lexi and Katie nodded before hurrying off. A few minutes later they were done and Max and Matt helped me to the bedroom.

“How are you feeling babe?” Max asked as he rubbed my back about 45 minutes later.

To keep me calm Max had put the lights on low and Matt had picked a play list and put my iPod on the dock. Right now a mix of Asking Alexandria, Get Scared, Escape The Fate, Avenged Sevenfold, Black Veil Brides and My Chemical Romance was playing in the room. In addition to the music and Lexi had dug out a cherry popsicle for me to suck on.

“Um…been better.” I smirked.

“How far apart are the contractions?” Lexi asked from the foot of the bed.

“When is she supposed to go in again?” Matt asked.

“4 minutes.” Aden replied.

“Well then we’d better get moving she jumped from 5 to 3.” Matt said.

Max and Matt got me up and the three of us started towards the door. We opened the door and instantly stepped back as the wind whipped around us. Rain was falling heavily and we couldn’t see past the front porch.

“There’s no way we’re going to be able to get out there.” Matt said looking at Max.

“Well then what the fuck are we supposed to do? I’m having a baby! That’s not something that I can just stop!” I replied.

“Look you two go and put her back on the bed. I’ll call an ambulance.” Aden replied.

“Right.” Max said and they brought me back to the bedroom.

Five minutes later Aden came in looking exasperated.

“What?” I asked.

“There’s a huge ass pile up on the highway near here. They’re sending a medic from across town. It’s going to get here as fast as it can.” she replied.

“Fuck!” I cursed both because it was going to take forever for the medic to get here and because a sharp contraction had shot through my body.

“That one was less than a minute after the last one.” Matt replied.

“So what does that mean?” Lexi asked.

“That her labor is going faster than it should.” Katie replied.

“That’s funny.” I said and the others turned towards me.

“Why?” Lexi asked.

“I think the baby’s coming. Now. I can feel it.” I replied with a short laugh.

“Are you serious?” Aden asked.

“Yes!” I replied.

“Jesus! Don’t you know that you’re supposed to be in agony for hours?!? Why the fuck is your labor going so fucking fast?” Aden replied.

“I don’t know! I didn’t mean to do it!” I yelled.

“So what do we do?” Matt asked.

“We need to get her on the floor or somewhere hard. With clean towels or blankets.” Lexi said.

“How do you know that?” Katie asked.

“I just read it from a page I found online.” she replied.

“You heard the woman!” I replied.

Katie and Aden made a pallet on the floor with blankets and towels while Lexi collected what they’d need to deliver the babies. Matt and Max each grabbed me behind one knee and the small of my back and I draped my arms around their shoulders. They lifted me up and laid me on the pallet.

Lexi returned with a couple of pairs of yellow rubber gloves that you’d use to wash dishes, a stack of receiving blankets left over from Aliana and Jude, one of those things you suck stuff out of babies noses with and a couple of thick blankets.

“Alright who’s catching?” Lexi asked.

“Thank you for making my children sound like footballs Lex.” I replied.

“You know what I mean!” she said.

Matt took one of the pairs of gloves and Lexi took the other handing Katie her phone while Aden sat near my head with Max.

“Okay Lucy push!” Matt said.

From there everything began to blur together. Matt, Aden, Lexi and Max’s encouragements and Katie yelling out instructions to Matt mixed together with the pain of shoving a child out of my body. It wasn’t like I wasn’t expecting it anyhow. With my past of drugs I wasn’t going to be able to have pain meds.

I wasn’t sure how many times I pushed nor how long it took but before I knew it Matt was yelling. Opening my eyes I saw Matt with a baby in his arms while Lexi sucked the stuff from his mouth and nose with the sucky thing.

“Max it looks like you’re a daddy.” Matt smiled and laid the baby on my chest.

“I’m a daddy.” Max echoed as he looked at the baby laying on my chest.

A few moments later there were noises from the hallway and then Brian came in with paramedics on his heels. They instantly took over and Matt stepped aside. Three minutes later my baby boy came into the world with a cry.

The paramedics did all of the things they needed to, weighing the babies and such and declared that despite the fact they were early they were in perfect health as was I. Since we were okay we didn’t have to go the hospital and could just stay home.

45 minutes later I had gotten a shower and changed into fresh nightgown before propping myself up in bed. The guys had been charged with getting the kids in order. Matt now sat at the foot of the bed holding his son who was dressed in a Pantera onesie and wrapped in blue blanket. His sister was in Max’s arms dressed in a teal ‘Daddy’s Girl’ onesie and wrapped in a pink blanket similar to her brother’s. Aden, Lexi, Katie and the other guys had headed to bed already, tired from all the excitement.

I had just taken the babies into my arms to nurse them when there was a sound from the doorway. I looked up and saw Joanna standing in the doorway.

“WHAT THE FUCK DID I MISS?!?” she asked.

“Um…the birth of my children.” I smirked.

“How…when…how fucking long did I sleep?!? I wake up and everyone‘s asleep and you had the babies!”

“About 3 hours.” Matt replied.

“And you had the babies?” she asked walking into the room.

“Yeah. Over there.” I said pointing to where the others had made the pallet for me to lay on.

“Holy shit.” she replied and walked over.

She stopped beside me and pulled the blanket back from the babies faces, “He’s adorable. Did you guys name them yet?” she asked.

“We were talking and we did come up with names.” Max replied.

“And…?” Joanna asked.

“Raven Anastasia and Rook Adrian.” I replied.

“I love them.” she grinned.

Joanna sat with us for a while longer before deciding to go back up to bed. After she left I nursed the babies and by the time I was done I had Matt on one side of the bed and Max on the other, sound asleep. Smiling I nestled the babies beside me and with a smile on my face fell asleep.