‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Simi Sleepless Nights

I sat on my bed with my knees pulled up under my chin. Everyone was asleep around me. Joanna was curled into Zacky’s side sound asleep. I could tell she wasn’t sleeping soundly though. Her face looked pained and she was grasping Zacky’s shirt like she was scared he would leave.

Lexi was curled into Jimmy with the blanket over them. You could hardly see her small frame under Jimmy’s long limbs. Finally there was Matt. He was laying on his back sound asleep. He didn’t snore so his face was calm and unlined, his muscular chest moving up and down under the black t-shirt he wore.

My mind was racing and I just couldn’t sleep. I had managed a few winks but nothing major. Finally I couldn’t sit there anymore so I stood and walked to the kitchen. I raided the fridge for a few moments before finding the bottle of Diet Coke I’d only partly drank earlier in the day. I grabbed it before walking over and boosting myself up on the counter and crossing my legs Indian style.

A cop car drove by slowly and I shivered. I couldn’t stop thinking about that creepy guy. For a while I stood there listening to the silence of the house and picking at the pink paw print pajama pants I wore. Suddenly there was a noise behind me.

I moved quicker than I ever thought that I could move. I jumped down and grabbed one of the knives from the butchers block on the counter.

“Back the fuck off asshole!” I spat brandishing the knife in the direction of the noise.

“Jesus Lucy calm down it’s just me!” Matt said stepping out of the darkness.

“Don’t fucking sneak up on me like that Matthew!” I gasped breathing correctly for the first time in minuets.

“Sorry…I woke up and you were gone. Are you alright?” he asked.

“I’m fine.” I replied.

“Lucy…you just threatened me with a 5 inch butcher knife…you’re not fine.” he said.

“I’m sorry…I just…” I sighed not being able to find the words.

“It’s okay.” Matt said and pulled me into his chest.

Suddenly tears began to pour out of my eyes that I’d had no clue were lurking there. Matt just pulled me to him tighter and kissed my head.

“It’s going to be okay.” Matt whispered to me.

I pushed him away, “How do you know that Matt? That asshole is still out there somewhere and he wants Joanna and me! Not Aiden, not Lexi, not Katie…the two of us. What the fuck did we do to make him do this to us?” I asked.

“Baby…I know it doesn’t help but these things happen. I mean it’s juts a thing about being famous.” he replied.

Sniffing I nodded, “I know. I just…” I sighed.

“I know. C’mon lets go back to bed.” he said.

“You go…I’ll be in in a little bit.” I replied.

“Okay. Love you.” he said and kissed me.

I watched him walk back into the living room before retrieving my Diet Coke and taking a long drink. I knew I’d never get back to sleep so I grabbed my phone.

To: Max
Hey….you awake?

To: Lucy
Yeah…what’s up?

To Max:
Can’t sleep. Some creeper broke into our house and scared the living shit out of Joanna. Said he was here for her and I. That he wanted us. Then he escaped. The cops are patrolling our block.

To: Lucy
That’s pretty fucked up.

To Max:
You’re telling me. I can’t get this shit out of my head long enough to sleep.

To: Lucy
Well do you still have that little present I gave you?

To: Max
Yeah.

To: Lucy
Well those should help clear your head ;)

To: Max
Are you sure?

To: Lucy
Do I fucking shred on bass?

To: Max
Lol….yeah…I guess.

To: Lucy
You’ll be perfectly fine. I swear. But only take one. Crush it up and rail it. It happens faster that way.

To: Max
Okay thanks. Night.


I sat my phone aside and walked over to my backpack that was still on the kitchen counter from the morning. Unzipping the front pouch I pulled out the small bag with the two pills. They were oxys and Max had given them to me before we’d left.

*Earlier That Day*

“It sucks that you guys are leaving so early.” Craig frowned sticking his bottom lip out.

We were sitting down to eat breakfast before Joanna and I took off. We’d asked Craig and Max to join us so we could see them before we left.

“I know but we gotta get back. We miss our family too much. We never thought that we‘d miss them after like a day.” Joanna sighed.

“True.” Max nodded.

“Well we promised we’d bring back souvenirs for everyone. We live 4 hours from here and they want shot glasses and fucking t-shirts.” I laughed rolling my eyes.

“C’mon then and we’ll find them the best shit they have.” Craig said.

We paid the bill and the 4 of us headed towards the gift shop. Joanna and Craig ended up in front leaving Max and I lagging in the back.

“So how was your night? I can see how your morning was.” he smirked looking at me.

I smacked him, “Shut up! Someone’s going to hear you! And besides it’s your fault. You gave us the weed.”

“And I’m glad you enjoyed it. How was your first time?” he asked.

“How do you know it was my first time?”

“The look on your face when I pulled it out and the one on Joanna’s. It was like a giant neon sign over your head.” Max laughed.

“Oh.” I blushed.

“So…did you enjoy it?” he asked.

“Yeah. It was alright.” I smiled.

“Well I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. If you ever want something a little stronger just tell me.” he said.

“Stronger? What do you mean?” I asked.

He looked around and from inside his jacket produced a bag with two pills inside.

“Something like this. They’re oxycontin.” he replied.

“How much stronger are they?” I asked.

He smirked like he had the night before and pressed them into my hand, “You tell me.” he said with a wink.

*Present Day*


I dug through my backpack until I found my compact and grabbed my licence from my wallet. With the Oxys and my diet coke in hand I walked out back. The house was stifling and I couldn’t stand being in there anymore anyhow.

Once outside I sat down at the patio table. After crushing and creating lines I looked at the white lines in front of me.

“Here goes nothing.” I sighed and I leaned over the mirror and snorted the line.

It burned like a mother fucker. I rubbed my nose as I sat back waiting for the pill to take effect. At first I felt nothing then suddenly the high took over me, pushing all the worries I had about the stalker out of my head. I lay back in the deck chair and stared up at the stars.

I don’t know how long I lay there just that by the time I felt the high wearing off the sun was coming up. I heard everyone begin to move about inside but I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer and at last I finally fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
pajamas