Sequel: Consequence
Status: Slow Updates

Wasted

17.

Autumn was on her last nerve. Everyone had been pissing her off to no end today and she was ready to snap at anyone who looked her the wrong way. She had substituted for a sophomore class and they defined the words immature and annoying. She had done her best to stay composed and not rip their heads off one by one but once the last bell of the day rang she was out like a lightning bolt.

It had been days since she was able to sit down and write something good. The stress on her shoulders was increasing and getting heavier. The bills weren’t strained but she knew she would have to keep subbing for a long time before she was able to earn anything with writing.

The air around her apartment with her two best friends had been tense and rough with midterms approaching for both Riley and Taylor. Autumn did her best to keep out of their way and bother them as little as possible with her existence but she could still hear them cursing their school work and the stress under their breath.

She sighed as she climbed onto the subway and found no empty seats. Another strike to piss her off. Her car’s battery had burned out a couple of days ago so all she had until it was fixed up was the trusty and rough New York Subway. She wrapped her hand around a pole and leaned on it for support. Her head was pounding and all she wanted was a cup of coffee and some peace.

Her phone vibrated in her coat pocket and she pulled it out, not bothering to look at the caller I.D.

“Hello?” She muttered into the phone and rubbed her forehead.

“Hi,” Gerard’s voice flooded through her speakers.

A faint smile made its way to her lips. “Oh. Hey Gerard.”

“Rough day?” He asked.

“How do you know?” She raised an eyebrow to herself.

“You rarely ever call me Gerard, it’s usually Gee, unless you’re in a bad mood or I did something…I haven’t done something, have I?” She could practically hear the smirk and mock worry in his voice.

“No Gee, you haven’t done anything. It’s just been a terrible day, is all.”

“Oh. Well in that case, grande or venti?”

“Why are you asking me about Starbucks cup sizes?” Her eyebrows rose up and she moved some hair from her face.

“Because Fall,” she smiled at his nickname for her, “I’m coming over with some coffee to make your day better.”

A grin broke out on her face for the first time in hours and her day lightened a bit. “You my friend are a charmer.”

“That’s not all I can be sugar. I’ll be there in a bit. And try not to get hit on, on the subway, will ya?”

A light laugh escaped her lips and she nodded to herself. “Sure Gee, whatever you say.”

-

Autumn practically ran to her apartment door when she heard the doorbell. Luckily Riley and Taylor were out studying at their college library. With a wide smile she opened the door and a content sigh came from her lips when she saw Gerard standing before her with two cups of coffee.

“Hi,” she breathed out and reached for her coffee.

Gerard chuckled and stepped back. “Wow, I come here with coffee and you don’t even greet me without trying to grab it.”

Autumn rolled her eyes. “Only reason I let you over is for the coffee. Now could you please pass it this way, my head is about to explode.”

Gerard chuckled and rolled his eyes but handed the cup over to Autumn who grabbed it and took a giant drink quickly.

Gerard closed the door behind him and walked into her apartment, scanning the area. “No girls?”

Autumn shook her head and plopped down on the couch, “No. They’re studying.”

Gerard nodded to himself and sat down beside Autumn. He could tell she had a rough day with the way her hair was up in a messy bun, something he noticed that she did when she was stressed or nervous.

Autumn’s eyebrow rose, “Why are you staying at me Gee?”

“Huh?” He asked dumbfounded with wide eyes but regained his composure. “Oh, nothing.”

She pursed her lips but nodded and kept up with drinking her coffee. There was a comfortable silence in the room, neither really knowing what to say. Ever since that night he had come over and they stayed up talking, it’s like they barely even moved forward. Both were so busy with work she was surprised he even called and he was surprised he even had time to call. He was even busier trying to adjust with a new guitarist to the band, but it was obvious Frank fit perfectly.

“So,” Autumn started and clicked her tongue. “Frank fitting in well with you boys?”

“Your cousin is a genius with melodies.”

She grinned and nodded along, agreeing with him. “That he is. But he’s also an annoying little shit that fan girls over you guys sometimes.”

Gerard laughed and ran a hand through his messy hair. Autumn noticed how it had been growing lately, the ends curling slightly and framing his round face. She liked his long hair and found herself blurting that out.

Gerard cocked an eyebrow, “Really now?”

Autumn felt her cheeks get warm and pink and nodded sheepishly. “It looks nice.”

“Nice, eh? Well in that case I’ll keep it nice.” He smiled warmly at her and felt his own cheeks warm up. She made him feel fuzzier inside, like any comment she made was good, even if it was negative.

Before either could speak up her apartment door opened and Taylor shuffled in with a loud huff and grumble. “It’s like people don’t respect the silence rules of a goddamn library anymore!” Gerard and Autumn turned to her with surprised expressions but Autumn stifled a small giggle.

Taylor’s eyes widened at the sight of Autumn and Gerard sitting closely on the couch.

“Oh! Um, sorry to interrupt. I just couldn’t concentrate in that god forsaken library of blabbing college idiots.” She rolled her eyes and scowled to herself. “I’ll just be in my room.” She hurried quickly into the hallway.

Gerard spoke up as he glanced over at the clock on the TV stand. “Oh shit. I forgot I had practice tonight. I should get going.”

Autumn’s stomach sank a little but she pushed the feeling away and nodded. “Okay.” They both stood up and walked over to her door. It had only really been about ten minutes since he got there but she understood the band needed practice and time.

“So I guess I’ll see you around?” He asked lightly, hoping she would agree.

She nodded and smiled cheekily. “Yeah, I’ll probably stop by a band practice with Frank on a day off, if that’s cool.”

“That would be cool Fall,” he gave her a crooked smile and kissed her forehead before stepping back and opening the door. “See you around.”

She could barely speak so instead she nodded and waved goodbye on her doorstep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the long wait! Trying to keep up with life can be stressful. But I'm going to catch up on my writing as best as I can. Now, on another note, do you guys think they should move at the same pace or quicken it up? Leave me your thoughts xx