Sequel: Consequence
Status: Slow Updates

Wasted

2.

Autumn's eyes scanned over the papers stacked in front of her and the pounding in her head grew.
Grading papers was a pain in the ass and she hated doing it.

But she would rather be a student teacher and in school part time than a starving free lance writer.

The quiet and tranquility that Barnes and Noble had, brought her peace and made her comfortable while she read 10th grade essays on the play Othello by Shakespeare.

She was about to get up to refill her mug of coffee when she felt a pair of eyes on her and looked up to see a greasy looking Gerard.

"Hey," he spoke with a crooked smile and looked down at the stressed out sight of Autumn in front of him.

She smiled back and responded, "Hi Gerard."

"Is this seat taken?" He pointed to the one across from her and she shook her head no.

He sat down and leaned his body forward, crossing his arms on the table.

"Don't take this the wrong way Gerard, but you look a bit sick." She mumbled, looking at his bloodshot eyes and the dark bags cascading them.

Gerard rubbed his face and sighed in his hands, "Stupid fucking hangover. We got pretty drunk last night."

Autumn's lips held a knowing smile, "I bet."

"Thanks for the cab fare, we owe you."

She waved it off and shrugged her shoulders.

"Nah, don't worry about it."

"At least let me buy you a cup of coffee?" Gerard smiled and his hazel eyes seeped into her brown ones.

She smiled and nodded, "Sure, I'd like that."

-

Gerard and Autumn were reading through the essays her students wrote and Gerard groaned in annoyance.

"What?" Autumn asked calmly and eyed him curiously.

"This kid can barely spell, let alone analyze a play."

Autumn laughed lightly, "Well, we were probably like that a few years ago."

"Yeah and still as hopeless as today." Gerard mumbled and took a sip of his coffee.

Autumn didn't really know Gerard back in high school and she still barely knew him to this day while they were both pretty much considered adults.

She met him and Mikey through Frank who met them through his band Pencey Prep and they immediately became friends.

Autumn hung around them a few times, just enough times to know who and how they were.
Gerard always seemed to have that mysterious and dark shadow around him and truth be told it enticed her. But she wasn't the kind to pry and she certainly wasn't close enough to really call him a good friend.

"Frank told me you're a good writer, why waste your life away grading mediocre essays and stepping into a classroom everyday?"

Gerard's question caught her by surprise and she felt her cheeks get hot and rosy.

"I'd rather have an income than be a starving writer with no future." She stated, her voice almost shaking.

Gerard sighed and looked straight through her, "You hate your job, don't you?"

Autumn looked away and mumbled quietly, "No."

Gerard chuckled and shook his head, "You're a good writer Autumn." Autumn's head snapped up.
"I bet people would be willing to read your words."

"How do you know I'm a good writer?" Her voice rose higher and the curiosity was dripping in her tone.

The only person she had ever shown her writings too was Frank.

Gerard's eyes widened and he nervously rubbed his neck, "I take Frank's word for it."

"Mmhm." Autumn mumbled back and eyed him suspiciously.

She sighed and sank back in her seat. "Yeah well, life isn't as easy as we'd wish it was."

"Yeah but who decided that we have to go with it? Do what you want and fuck the rest."

Autumn laughed and his sudden change in mood but she couldn't deny how serious his words were.

"What?"

"Nothing," she shook her head and smiled. "I'm just starting to get to know you more is all."

"Oh really?" Gerard smiled and leaned his body forward. "Do tell."

Autumn smiled and started to gather up her things. His comment of her lifestyle had thrown her for a loop and she wanted the same effect on him.

"You've got talent and a college education right under your belt. But yet you live your nights away in bars and spend the days recovering with a cup of coffee while you try to see through my skin. I'll let you in on a secret, I think you're a good artist and I'm sure people would pay to have it. And I take Mikey's word for it."

She smirked and left a dumb founded Gerard in the bookstore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Todays actually my birthday. =^.^=
Leave your thoughts in the comments? xx