Sequel: Consequence
Status: Slow Updates

Wasted

36.

Autumns eyes were threatening to close and her breathing was slowing down. She was hunched over her desk, filling out paperwork for Danny and ready to fall asleep.

For the past few days she hadn't been sleeping well and kept the talking with anyone to a minimum. She knew Riley and Taylor were worried about her when she came home from working unnecessary overtime but Autumn needed to keep herself busy to keep her troubling thoughts away.

She didn't even speak to Gerard since he dropped her off at the train and each day that passed without talking she realized he was better off raising his child with its real mother.

She coursed a hand through her hair and sat back in her chair. The clock on the wall displayed that it was well past nine o'clock at night and she was dead tired. She just couldn't go home yet.

There was a light knock at her office door. She rubbed her eyes and called out.

"Come in!"

Danny poked his head in and smiled, "You still here?"

She put her hands up in mock pride, "This is my legacy."

He stepped inside and sat on the edge of her desk. "Autumn Iero, staying past her regular hours just to make my life easier?"

She smirked and looked down at her papers that were almost finished. "Sounds about right."

He put his palm down on the papers in front of her. "Well then let me make your life easier."

Her eyes widened and she felt uneasy. She looked up and swallowed thickly.

"What?" She asked.

He chuckled, "Don't worry, I'm not proposing you cheat on your dark and intimidating boyfriend," he jested. "There's an opening in LA for a new screen writer."

Her eyebrows rose and her lips parted in surprise. "Wow, are you gonna take it?"

Danny rolled his eyes, "I recommended you. They're actually transferring me and theres another spot." 

Autumn's jaw slacked and she laughed nervously. "What, seriously?"

"Totally serious," he laughed back and nodded. "They like your stuff and they want you to come down for the job."

"Don't you need like credentials for that?" Her eyebrows furrowed.

"It's Hollywood, you just have to know people and be a decent writer. You know me and I know some people and you're a great writer."

She couldn't believe it. She grinned and pulled Danny into a bone crushing hug and laughed. 

"You're not fucking with me are you? They seriously want me in LA?" She pulled back and cocked an eyebrow at him.

"I'm dead serious," he smiled, "but if you're in they want us in LA by next week."

"Wow," she whispered to herself.

"This is the dream kid. LA's on the other side of the tracks but you gotta take it."

She nodded vigorously and smiled. "I'm in, I'm definitely in."

-

The entire way home Autumn couldn't stop smiling and her stomach was filled with butterflies. This new job was an amazing opportunity and she couldn't be stupid enough to pass it up no matter how far it was.

She nearly bust the apartment door open and ran in shouting for Riley and Taylor.

They both turned their heads from the couch.

"What?" they asked in unison.

Autumn put her bag down on the kitchen table and grinned. "I got a promotion!"

Their eyes widened and they smiled, standing up to hug her and give her their congratulations.

"Whats the new job?" Taylor asked.

Autumn's smile fell but only slightly. "Its screen writing and actually working for the studio. But there's a catch."

Taylor raised an eyebrow, "What is it?"

Autumn took a deep breath, feeling nervous in front of her friends and exhaled it out, "It's in LA and I would have to move by next week."

Riley and Taylor's jaws slacked. Autumn winced and quickly talked.

"I know it's far and such a big change but it's such an amazing job!"

Riley put her hand up, "What about Frank and your dad?"

Autumn hadn't thought of them in the process. She only thought about the job and leaving her roommates behind. She felt a small pang in her gut.

"I didn't think about that," she muttered.

"Look we're really proud of you and we say take the job," Taylor interrupted, "this is your life, you can't base it on other people."

"Yeah," Riley nodded, "this is a great opportunity for you."

Autumn sighed and took a seat at the kitchen table, rubbing her temple.

"I haven't even thought about what I'm going to tell Gerard." 

Riley and Taylor threw each other nervous glances. Taylor took a deep breath and sat across from Autumn.

"Would you give up the job to stay with him?" 

Autumns eyebrows knitted together in deep thought. She bit her lip and shook her head, feeling a pang of guilt. 

Riley cleared her throat. "Don't make any irrational decisions but at least talk to him about it."

Autumn glanced up and nodded, not being able to find her voice or say anything in return. They were right, she had to talk to him about it. But right now he was the last person on her list.

-

Autumn opened her fathers front door and lightly rapped on the wood. "Pops?"

"In the kitchen!" He yelled.

She smiled and walked into the kitchen, smelling the pasta he was cooking.

He glance up from the stove and grinned. 

"Hey squirt. What brings you home?" He pulled her into a hug and kissed her head.

She moved over to the table an leaned against it. "There's actually some things I want to talk to you about."

"Uh-oh," he frowned playfully, "are you breaking up with me?"

She rolled her eyes. "There is some good news and some bad news."

He nodded, motioning for her to go on and wiped his hands down on a towel.

She took a deep breath and spoke up. "Gerard's having a baby."

Gavin's eyebrows furrowed and then one rose up in confusion. "I'm sorry, what?"

She sighed and spoke up louder. "His ex girlfriend is pregnant," she saw Gavin's jaw set and cringed.

"And how long ago was he with her?" He asked, his arms crossing over his chest as he leaned against the kitchen counter.

"Around 5 months ago. It was before we even together."

"Wow," Gavin huffed and shook his head down at the ground. "That boy is a right son of a bitch."

"Dad!" She exclaimed and threw him a look.

"I'm only stating the obvious," he snapped back.

Autumn frowned and rolled her eyes down at the ground.

Seconds of silence went by until Gavin spoke up again.

"So what's the good news?"

Autumn tweaked her lips and glanced up at her dad. "Sony is offering me a job as a screen writer in LA."

His eyes widened but a grin spread across his face. "That's great squirt!" He crossed over and pulled her into a bone crushing hug.

Autumn smiled and nodded. "They want me there by next week."

"Well then get your ass there! This is incredible, I'm so proud of you."

"What, you aren't gonna miss having me around?" She jested playfully and poked his shoulder.

"I've lived my life in Jersey, I'm staying here," he smiled and pulled her close with his arm around her shoulder. "But that doesn't mean you have too.  Take the job squirt, it's perfect for you."

"Thanks dad." She smiled and leaned her head across his chest.

"Someone has to show those LA boys a real girl." He winked and ruffled her hair.

She groaned and frowned up at him. "I'm still with Gerard, dad."

His smile fell and his eyes narrowed. He grabbed her chin gently and tilted it up so she was directly looking at him.

"I raised you better than to stand on the sidelines for someone."

She fell silent and nodded, not sure of what else to say. But she knew her father was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just wanted to update for you guys. Enjoy! Xx