All Eight Guardians

I Found Him!

Karri's POV

"You're Base?" I questioned.

He slowly nodded.

An idea shot through my head and before I could tell Base what I was thinking I grabbed him by the wrist and began to pull him off the roof and down the stairs. Once we were on the ground floor we raced down the hallway and came to a stop in front of the hotel room. Because I didn't have the room key I furiously began to knock on the door with my free hand.

A few moments passed before I could hear Roman's angered tone on the other side of the door question, "Who the hell is it and what do you want?!"

"It's me, now let us in!" I replied.

"Who is us?!" Roman questioned before he yanked open the door, grabbed me by the wrist, and pulled Base and I inside before he closed the door again.

As we were being pulled in, John stood up and turned on the gas lamp and then he sat down on the edge of one of the beds.

Nick was sleeping like a rock on the other bed. It takes a lot to wake him up.

I watched Roman as he eyed Base up and down and then he turned to me, "Who is he?" he asked.

I smiled brightly and let go of Base's wrist, "I found the Guardian!" I said happily.

Roman gave me a skeptical look, "Really? You found him? In less than our five hours of being here?"he questioned.

I continued to smile and said, "Yup."

Roman glared at Base and asked him, "What's your name?"

He replied, "I'm Base."

Roman followed up with, "What's your Guardian gift?"

Base was quiet.

"If you don't have a gift that means you're not a true Guardian." Roman pressed.

"I'm an earth mage." Base said quietly.

"What's an earth mage?" I asked curiously.

"An earth mage can manipulate plants, trees, and animals to do their bidding." Roman explained.

"Oh, that's cool." I said happily.

Roman nodded, "Yeah, it would be, but only if he can prove it." he said. He spun around and picked up a blue and white vase from off the nightstand and turned around to face Base again. Inside the vase was a yellow tulip that looked like it hadn't been given fresh water in days and was drooping down over the side.

I raised an eyebrow at Roman and questioned, "Are you serious?"

"Of course. We need to find out if he is the real deal or not. If we bring the wrong person back to the King he'll be kind of pissed." Roman explained.

I rolled my eyes at Roman and then turned to Base, "Will you please show him that you are indeed the Guardian we're looking for so he will stop giving you the evil eye?"

Base slowly raised a hand to the tulip and brought it back to life after a moment.

"Now wake up the wolf." Roman instructed.

"I can't." Base replied.

"Why not? I thought earth mages were able to manipulate animals." Roman said quickly.

"They can, I mean, I can. But the wolf is half human and I can't manipulate humans." Base said.

I saw Roman smile, as if he already knew Base wouldn't be able to manipulate Nick. I huffed and punched Roman in the shoulder; hard.

"Oww! What was that for?!" Roman moaned.

"You were trying to trick him!" I almost shouted.

Roman rubbed his arm as he replied, "I'm sorry! I had to make sure he's the real deal."

"And?" I pressed.

"He's the real deal." Roman confirmed.

I couldn't help but smile. We had found the Guardian and possibly in record time too. "So what now?" I asked.

"We give Base a day to pack up his things, say goodbye to all his friends and family, and we'll travel back to Omega the day after." Roman explained.

"Great. I can't wait to tell the others the good news!" I said happily.

Base took a step forward, "Wait, don't I get a say in this?" he questioned.

"Oh, of course you do!" I said quickly, "What is it?" I asked.

"I don't want to go to Omega." Base said.

I smiled until my brain processed what he said, then my smile dropped and I asked, "Wait, what?"