All Eight Guardians

Are You In?

Karri's POV

"Father." a voice called quietly.

Everyone in the maps room turned to see where the source of the voice came from. In the arch of a doorway stood a young man who looked like he was around nineteen or twenty. He was tall, had a slim frame and he had black and dark eyes. The King was also right about his son; he did look fairly weak.

"Ahh, there's my Prince." the King said as he smiled warmly, "What are you doing here when you should be in bed, my son?" he questioned.

I could tell even though the tome of voice the King used was clearly concern for his son's well-being he still kept a warm smile on his face. He obviously cared for his son very deeply.

"I've been just out the door listening." the Prince said as he shuffled farther into the maps room.

The King nodded, "I suppose I should have known. Come in then." he said to the Prince.

The Prince walked up to the scale model and stopped on the other end of the map across from me and in between Sky and Annabelle.

The Prince began to say something to the King, but I missed it as Roman tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up at him to see him full-blown smirking. "Look at your friend," he whispered, "She's practically drooling on the Prince."

I looked up and indeed, Annabelle was staring at the Prince as if she were staring at the most beautiful man on the face of the earth.

I smiled back at Roman, "Don't take it personally. She stares at all guys like that. I'm sure she stared at you as well as Knight as soon as we entered the gates of the kingdom."

Roman raised an eyebrow at me, "You think I'm taking it personally?! I'm not interested in girls like her!" he whispered a little too loudly.

"Everyone," the King called us to attention, "I should introduce you to my son properly as you'll be working with him on the prophecy... This is Prince Zander. I hope you will get along well and find all eight guardians quickly."

"Actually only seven guardians must be found." Prince Zander said.

"What?" the King questioned, confused.

"One of the guardians we are searching for is standing in this very room." Prince Zander explained.

"Who? Who is it, my son?" the King questioned.

Everyone looked around the maps room wildly wondering who the guardian could be while I noticed Sky was the only one who wasn't. That's when it clicked.

"Who is it, my son?" the King repeated.

"It's Sky." I spoke up.

Everyone turned to look at me.

"How do you know?" Moose asked in a snobbish way.

"She's right." Prince Zander said before I could give my reasons.

"Well that is fantastic." the King said as his warm smile turned bright. "You all only have to find the remaining seven guardians." he said happily.

"Wait a second. Hold it!" Moose shouted, "I don't remember saying I agreed to this freaking quest. You all keep going on about it like we're all for it."

The King sighed, "You lot might as well help kick off this prophecy because I can't do anything for your wolf companion until my magician returns. So in the end you can sit outside of the palace bored out of your minds or you can be working on the prophecy... But remember if you try to leave, not all kingdoms will take you as kindly as we did."

"No. I won't do it." Moose said as he stubbornly crossed his arms.

The King turned to John next, waiting to hear from him what his answer was going to be.

John was quiet for a long moment, which wasn't unusual for him as he's never been a man of many words. "I'll do it." he finally said.

"What?" both Moose and Annabelle questioned in unison.

The King immediately turned to Annabelle, wanting to hear from her next.

"Just let me get one thing straight. If I say I'll do it I get to live in the palace?" Annabelle questioned.

"Yes." the King replied.

"And if I say no I'll be outside the palace?" she asked again.

"Yes." the King answered as he nodded.

I knew Annabelle would choose the lap of luxury over anything lesser so when she said she was in as well I wasn't surprised.

After Annabelle replied yes, the King's head swiveled in my direction, "And you?" he questioned.

I glanced at Nick. In the end, I was all for this quest. It actually sounded like a lot of fun. So it was up to him whether or not we would participate as well.

'What do you say? Are you in?' I asked Nick.

His ears perked up and his head turned toward me, 'What? You want to do it, don't you? It's gonna be dangerous, ya know?' Nick replied.

'I see it as more of an adventure. C'mon, it will be fun.' I said as I smiled.

I could tell Nick was thinking about it before he answered, 'Alright, I'll do it.'

"We're in too." I said to the King which caused him to smile.

"Well I guess that means you're the only one who refuses to help." the King said as he stared directly at Moose. "Roman, Knight, escort this young man outside my palace walls." he demanded.

Roman and Knight seemed to reluctantly leave my side and walked up to Moose. They both grabbed one of his arms and began to drag him out of the room.

Moose heatedly pulled out of Roman and Knight's grasp and shouted, "Alright! I'll do it! I'm in too!"

The King smiled, obviously happy with having gotten his way in the end, "Great. I'm glad we're all on the same page."