All Eight Guardians

The Connection

Karri's POV

"Now my guards will take you children out to my palace's courtyard to teach you how to use weapons, attack, and defend yourselves." the King said, "Because it's never too early to learn skills like these." he said as he smiled. "Annabelle, John, and Moose, please go out to the courtyard where you can begin your training. Sky, go with them and help them."

"Yes, your Majesty." Sky said as he bowed and stepped away from the scale may with John and Annabelle trailing behind him.

"What about them?" Moose questioned as he glared at Nick and I.

"They'll be along shortly." the King replied, "But I must speak with them about something first."

Moose paused next to me and snickered, "Somebody's in trouble!" he hummed which caused Nick to growl at him and Roman lunged at him in an intimidating sort of way.

Whether it from Roman's or Nick's actions, Moose skittered out of the maps room and followed after Sky and the others.

"Roman, Knight, I have a job for the two of you." the King said, looking the most serious I had seen him since I met him.

Both Roman and and Knight stood at attention, awaiting further instruction. "Yes Sir?" they both questioned in unison.

"I want you to watch over the five, protect them, be their guardians while the search for my son's guardians." the King instructed.

"Yes, your Majesty." both Knight and Roman said as they bowed to their King in respect.

"Why did you choose to assign your guards their new positions only after you asked the others to leave?" I questioned.

The King smiled, "Whether you realize it or not, you have already taken on the role of the leader between you and your friends. As the leader you're privileged with more and direct information. I also didn't ask your wolf companion to leave because it appears he isn't willing to let you out of his sight." he explained his reasoning.

I only nodded, not sure how else to answer.

"Knight, Roman, would you please join the others outside?" the King questioned.

"Yes, your Majesty." Knight replied as he and Roman walked out of the throne room and toward the courtyard.

The Prince had left a while ago, before the King even asked Sky and the others to leave so in the room it was just the King, Nick, and I.

The King looked straight at me and in all seriousness asked me, "Do you and your wolf friend share a telepathic link?"

"Uhh yes?" I replied.

"The reason for that is because when Nick transformed he was staring into your eyes and now the two of you have a connection." the King explained.

I couldn't help but blush. I mean, yeah sure. Nick was my best friend and we already had that as a sort of connection. But the way the King said the word 'connection' sent chills up my spine. It was like what he was describing was on a different level entirely and in a way it was.

"Well because we've already found Sky, our first guardian, I'll have my guards keep an eye on the maps and I'll notify you and the others when another guardian surfaces. Until then, why don't you and Nick go outside and train with the others?" the King suggested.

"Yes, your Highness." I said as I bowed and Nick bowed his head as well.

"Please, call me King Ode." the King said as he smiled.

"Yes, your High- I mean, King Ode." I replied.

Nick and I left the maps room, passing by the throne room on our way and glanced up for a moment to see King Ode settling back into his throne quite nicely. We continued walking down an open corridor that led us straight to the King's private courtyard where the others had already started training.

"So, this should be fun, yeah?" I questioned as I smiled.

'If you say so.' Nick replied. I smirked, being able to mentally see Nick shrug his shoulders just like he always did.

"Who's no fun?" someone questioned from behind me, causing me to jump.

I turned to see Knight standing behind me and I smiled at him. "You scared me." I admitted.

Knight smiled and chuckled at me, "Sorry about that." he said quietly.