Battle of the Bands

fifty-five

-Julie's Point Of View-

Being that the bands wanted to go out for pizza, instead of boarding the buses we all loaded up into several white vans.

We stopped at a pizza parlor and the overall manager convinced the shop owner to stay open later and he would be able to pay his employees double overtime.

So now the eight bands, Melissa and I were all sitting in the booths and tables of the restaurant enjoying pizza and having a good time.

When we had entered the restaurant, Jonathan and Kyle grabbed my hands and pulled me over to a seat where the rest of their band was sitting.

But now that I think about it Kyle, Austin, and Caleb have mysteriously disappeared.

"Hey Jonathan, where is everybody?" I questioned.

"Don't know. But I noticed a bunch of people are missing too. Take a look around." Jonathan said with a mouth full of food.

I took Jonathan's words into consideration and took a look around the restaurant.

He was right.

Several people were missing which included Pete Wentz, Frank Iero, Ray Toro, Caleb Turman, Austin Bello, Kyle Burns, and Tyson Ritter.

"Where'd they all go?" I questioned.

Jonathan chuckled, "Some of the guys like to go exploring when they get bored."

I laughed, "Wouldn't they find a whole mess of trouble that way?"

He nodded, "They usually do."

"Hey guys! Check out what we found!" I heard Ray's voice echo.

A moment later, Ray rolled out a small karaoke machine and the other guys appeared behind him.

"Let's plug this baby in!" Frank said as he smiled from ear to ear.

"Oye!" a voice called from somewhere in the debths of the kitchen, "That thing is broken! When a song plays the words don't work!"

Austin shrugged his shoulders, "That doesn't really matter. We're all a bunch of singers. We'll just wing it!"

A round of cheers erupted throughout the parlor as the guys plugged in the karaoke machine and turned it on.

"What song do we want to sing first?" Kyle questioned, "Roller Coaster? . . .Nah. Hey Sexy Lady? . . .Nuh-uh." he said as he clicked through the list of songs. "Ooh! The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air!" he shouted.

I heard Melissa make a pffting sound.

Oh no, here we go.

"I bet you guys don't know the full version of that song." Melissa nearly belted.

"Chya! It's in the beginning of every Fresh Prince episode." Tyson said smugly.

Melissa shook her head, "Nope. That's just the televised version."

"Great." Kyle pouted, "Who knows the full version?"

Melissa stood up and pointed at me, "Julie does!"

The next thing I knew, I was pulled up on the parlor's small stage to sing with the guys.

Kyle smiled as he pressed a button to start the song.

Now this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to talk a minute just sit right there
And I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground is where I spent most of my days
Chillin out, maxin, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one lil fight and my mom got scared
And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

I begged and I pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and she gave me my ticket
I put my Walkman on and said I might as well kick it

First class yo this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmm this might be alright
But wait I hear prissy, bourgeois and all that
Is this the type of place they should send this cool cat
I don't think so, I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well ah the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude that looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to get arrested yet I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning disappeared
I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said FRESH and it had a dice in the mirror
If anything I can say this cab was rare
But I thought naw forget it yo home to Bel-Air

I pulled up to a house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabby "Yo homes smell ya later"
I looked at my kingdom I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel-Air

As the song ended, everyone began to talk at once about how they had never heard the full version of that song and some even wondered if there was a music video of the full song somewhere on Youtube.

After the song ended everyone clapped and congratulated me.

It may have been slightly awkward, but in a way it was starting to become a rush.

I was beginning to like singing in front of people and I wasn't afraid anymore.

I began to smile.

Who knew my favorite bands would help me get over my stage fright?
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics in this chapter:
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Will Smith

The insperation behind The Fresh Princ of Bel Air is because when I was in jr. high some dude in my maths class stood up (before class) and shouted he knew the lyrics to the song but he sand the televised version. I told him that wasn't the whole song and so he made me sing the entire song in front of the whole class.