Scream.

One.

"Ever been flying before?" Jared asked, his blue eyes sparking in the winter sun.

I looked at him, puzzled.

He laughed noiselessly, his head tilted towards the sky.

"Great. Well no time like the present to get started then." His trusting smile hypnotized me within a glance and I soon found myself linking my arm through his as we began to proceed to his house.

I still couldn't believe I was here.. And with him.

Me and mom had just moved here yesterday, but the neighbors had already proved to be super-friendly. As soon as the van arrived outside the house, the Leto's almost immediately ran to greet us, flowers and cakes in hand.
The identical gleaming white teeth and glimmering eyes, alarming at first, looked as if the whole thing had been rehearsed to perfection.
But when they spoke... it was so clean and innocent. It made you wonder how a voice could seem so pure. A believer would think God himself was using his powers to speak through them. Yet at the same time, it was daring and ragged. No matter what you make of the situation, you find yourself being unable to peel yourself away from staring and listening to this Holy Being...


I ran over these thoughts quietly in my head as we neared the house.

With a swift movement Jared was suddenly in front of me, grabbing hold of my hand tightly. We had reached the corner his house, when he stopped abruptly without warning. I didn't notice and was crushed by his strong build.

"Sorry," I mumbled, blushing.

He tensed, facing the house. "Not here. We are to go to the field."

His voice was robotic, like he had just been given a telepathic message of some kind. We continued to stand there for a few minutes, not talking.

"Jar.." I began, but he cut me off with a simple "Now."

And with that, he turned sharply, trailing me behind him.

I couldn't seem to think what had come over him, but a mix of emotions ran through me. His eyes had lost their glimmer and were now dull and empty. It was like something had just tore his heart out and had taken with it, the color of his eyes, the gleam of his teeth and his gentle charisma.
Fear. That's what I felt.
I started to believe my theory of the God-like presence. Except now, he had been possessed by the Devil and was struggling with the...


"Here."

I blinked, finding myself sitting on the grass of an open field. I watched as Jared walked in my direction from the other side, his shape growing slightly larger. His features formed into a snarl, which I presumed was an attempted smile, as he got closer.
Stopping about ten feet away, he cocked his head to the side and forced a smile. "Ready?"

I looked around. Miles and miles of open space, continuing up until the point where it meets with the horizon, battling against the reds and oranges of the morning sky.

"But...where's the plane? You did say we were flying, right?" I asked, my voice going an octave higher than necessary.

He laughed again, this time throwing his head back until he was cackling wildly to himself. "You humans think so idiotically."

My eyes widened and breath stopped in the space of a few seconds.

Before I had a chance to question him, he crouched to the ground, a few low growls escaping his throat. His fists clenched, turning his knuckles an impossible shade of white. Veins formed and reddened on his face and his hair stood on end with the impact. He screamed so loud and low pitched I couldn't hear at first. After a while, it had progressed into an audible yelp, which made me cringe at the uncomfortable feeling it had left on his face.

At the blink of an eye, Jared was on his feet, his back outstretched. A blinding light tore the sky apart and filled everything in sight, but I was physically unable to avert my eyes away from this creature in front of me. He was suddenly illuminated, his back seeming to grow larger in comparison to the rest of his body. What happened next is difficult to explain and impossible to believe.

Two huge wings, resembling a child's figurine, unfolded from the creature's back. Piercing screams met no match for the sound coming from the wings. Like sandpaper being forced along a rough end of plastic, or a piece of leather rubbing against another. However, in my mind it was something more. The scratching of nails along a blackboard, perhaps. It pained me to watch Jared (or whatever he had become) in such agony.

Fully grown, the monster had enlarged himself to ten or twenty feet. His clothes had transformed into knotted fur, his nose into a snout. Each leg was outstretched, giving it a little shake and its head rolled around its neck, the way an athlete would prepare for an important event. Its eyes focused on me, no longer dull, but piercing. And yet again, I found myself being drawn in. Its mouth pulled upward in an obvious snarl when it saw I was looking, and growled in satisfaction.

My legs began to walk, unsteady at first, towards it. My mind resisted the dangers lurking ahead, but there was no connection between the two. There was something distracting me, making me want to go, giving me a reason. I frantically searched for an explanation.

The eyes.

The human Jared and this monster had formed into one, meaning only one thing. Good and evil. Combined. The thought made me shudder as its facial features came into view. I could almost hear it lick its lips hungrily, flexing its jaw bones in preparation for what was to come...