Safe Haven

Big Bear

The entire drive home, Brian had been freaking the fuck out. He didn’t know what to think of Marnie being pregnant with a child that could most possibly be his, nor did he know how to deal with it. He wasn’t about to deny the fact that he and Marnie had slept together, but during that time, life around him had been crumbling since it had been right after his best friends funeral. Of course that wasn’t any excuse for sleeping with Marnie, but they were very stressed out that night and heart broken, so the two got drunk together and then had sex. It was stupid, but it happened. There’s no changing it now.

Brian honestly just wanted to run in the opposite direction of Marnie and hide from her for the rest their lives, because he was absolutely terrified of becoming a dad. And not only that but he was terrified over the fact that he had possibly fathered a child with someone other than his actual fiancé; a woman he was supposed to be marrying very soon. He had no idea what he was going to do at that point.

Marnie was plain angry with Brian for not only flipping out the way he did but also for walking out on her, even though she did tell him to leave. She really didn’t expect that sort of reaction from him. He seemed angry at her, which really wasn’t fair considering it takes two people to have sex and create a baby, and he was the other person whether he wanted to be or not.

Sighing heavily, Marnie took a sip of her water and glanced over at her older brother, “I don’t think he’s ever going to speak to me again, Scott,” She mumbled.

Scott frowned, leaned against her bedroom door way, and stared at her over the rim of his black squared glasses, “Don’t say that, Marnie. Brian’s a good guy, you know that. He’ll come around sooner or later. He just needs some time right now. I think you both need time,” He told her truthfully.

She nodded slightly, knowing he was right. “I don’t want to be here anymore,” She sighed, “I’m so lonely.”

Scott wished more than anything there was a way he could help his sister, but he knew couldn’t. He could only guide her and give her advice, and she would have to do the rest.

“You just need some time to adjust, Marnie.”

“Adjust?” She narrowed her eyes, “I’ve been here for almost two weeks already! And I’m not adjusting by any means.”

Scott sighed, “It takes longer than two weeks or so to adjust.”

Marnie rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest, “Maybe I should go up to Big Bear for a little while.”

“No way!” Scott immediately argued, “You’re five months pregnant, Marnie. Anything could happen if you go up there alone. I simply won’t allow that,” He stated, “Why don’t you come up to Sacramento for a week? Melina and I would love to have you.”

“No!” She exclaimed, shaking her head, “I’m sick of depending on you and Melina as my safety net. I need to figure this all out on my own.”

“Okay,” Scott gave in, “Have it your way. But if you really decide to give in and need to get out of here, then call me. Do not go up to Big Bear by yourself, do you hear me?”

“Yeah, yeah,” She muttered.

“Marnie,” He warned.

“Okay!” She breathed out, “I promise I won’t go up there.”

“Good,” Scott smiled, “Now get your pregnant ass up, put on those new work clothes, and go to work before you’re late for your first shift.”

Marnie groaned. She had received a phone call that morning after Brian had left with good news that Brent Haner had pulled some strings and gotten her job at a new restaurant that had opened up on Main Street where he was currently working, and she couldn’t have been more thankful.

Brent had talked to her a few days prior telling her that he would try and see what he could do, and thankfully he came through for her. She was grateful that at least one of the Haner boys’ still loved her. Unfortunately, tonight was her first night, which happened to be horrible timing since she was absolutely exhausted, her feet were beginning to feel sore already, and she had spent half the day in tears. However, she was going to work. Marnie refused to back out. She needed a job and she needed to start saving as much money as she could besides what she already had put away in her bank account, because when it comes down to it, a baby costs a lot of money, and she was going to do everything she could to provided the very best for her daughter without so much as cent from Brian.

“This sucks,” She muttered as she snatched the work clothes off of her bed and headed across the hall to the bedroom.

“Look at the bright side, sis,” Scott called after her, “Brent said that everyone who works there gets some pretty great tips.”

“I doubt they’re gonna tip a pregnant girl unless it’s because they feel sorry for me,” Marnie said as she started to change.

She was incredibly happy that her work outfit was very classy and black, which meant she would look slimmer than she was. She knew she couldn’t hide her belly, but at least she wouldn’t look like a cow.

Scott rolled his eyes at his sister, “You won’t be getting any tips with that attitude of yours.”

The door opened a few moments later to a very aggravated yet dressed waitress, “Shut up!” Marnie shouted as she ran her hands through her locks of hair and started to pull it up in a ponytail. She didn’t feel like dealing with her hair in her face all night, especially with serving people their food.

He chuckled and kept his response to himself, not wanting piss of his hormonal pregnant sister even more than she already was.

When Marnie was finished getting ready, she flipped off the bathroom light switch and headed downstairs to find Scott, who was in the kitchen rummaging around for a snack of some sorts.

“You have, like, nothing to snack on in this house besides carrots and granola!” Scott complained.

Marnie laughed for the first time all day and shrugged her shoulders, “I’d offer you popcorn, but we ate the last bit last night.”

“It’s fine,” He assured her, giving her a sly smirk, “I’ll go get some fries from Mickey D’s or something.”

“Oh yum,” She licked over her lips, “Why did you have to mention those? You know I love French fries.”

Scott chuckled, “I’m sorry.”

“No you’re not,” She shook her head.

“You’re right, I’m not.”

“I knew it,” She muttered.

Scott breathed out and stared at his sister for a moment. It was strange for him. Marnie was a grown woman who was going to be a mother within just a few short months. He wondered where the time had gone. It felt like they were just two adventurous teenagers who got into trouble daily. Now they were adults. He was married and thinking about having children, and she was having a child. He sometimes couldn’t believe it.

“So you ready for work?” He questioned, raising one eyebrow.

She smiled softly and nodded, “I guess. I just hope that I can make it through without getting too exhausted.”

“I’m sure you’ll be fine,” He told her, “Besides, you won’t be alone. Brent will be there.”

“I know,” She murmured.

He walked towards her and gave her a big hug, “If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to call me.”

“Stop worrying, Scott! I’m a grown woman,” She smiled.

“It doesn’t matter,” He insisted, “I still worry about you just as I did when you were a damn teenager.”

“Okay. I’ll be sure to call you every few days and I’ll let you know if I need anything,” She assured him.

They pulled away from each other with goofy smiles, said I love you, and them made their way out the front door. Scott needed to get home to Melina, and Marnie needed to get to work. She was excited because she would be making money, but she was also really nervous.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. I kind of suck at posting updates. Sorry about that. Please comment and let me know what you think so far though! It encourages me to update more frequently. ;)