You Had Me at Hello

Who Cares?

I sigh for the tenth time as I listened to Rory rant and rant on about how hot some chick was. I really didn’t care, not at all. “Rory!” He turns his eyes to me. “What?” I sigh. “Yes, that girl is hot.” The words almost made me throw up. He was taking about Stacy Moore who was a grade-A whore. “But, I don’t think we need to discuss it in depth. “

His eyes just glazed over like he didn’t hear a word I had said. “Uh-huh! Sage, so you do think she’s hot!” I don’t know why I even bothered. Talking to him was like talking to a dog, no wait. I’m sorry, that’s an insult to the dog. “Never mind man.”

This was him. Rory Carter high school quarterback, supreme ruler. All the girls wanted him, all the guys wanted to be him. And me, who was I you ask? I’m Sage Winters; that idiot’s best friend and right hand man. And I have no Idea why I put up with it. Oh yeah! I’ll get beaten alive.

I’m not the toughest guy; I stand at the marvelous height of 5’5 and weigh about a good oh 129 pounds. Compared to his 6’4 210 poundishness, I am merely a twig he could snap. That and well, we’ve been friends since 6th grade. He was cool back then, not really that stupid and didn’t really care who he was going to date or if we were going to win the next football game. He was my friend, and I was his.

Things really started changing around eighth grade, he got taller and bigger. I sort of stayed the same. He started getting interested in football, I started taking pictures. Photography is probably the biggest part of my life; it’s what I’m going to do for the rest of it. But he and I made a pact at the end of that summer that we wouldn’t split away from each other like people normally do in highschoool.

I guess it kind of helped me in the long run. I surely would’ve have been easy prey. Short, weak, wears girl jeans. I would’ve been a walking target, but when I hung out with Rory I was protected. Sure there were downsides. I never truly got to be my whole self in public; I had to do things that were deemed socially acceptable. Rory drew a line at my clothes.

I wore skinny jeans, V-necks, band tees, nothing he would want to wear himself. It seemed to… what did he call it? ‘Gay’ for him, he now just over looks my wardrobe. I couldn’t listen to the type of music I liked around him; I have to listen to that horrible rap crap. He says my music is to emo-ish (I know! It’s not even a word.) But I put up with it, I will continue until I can get out of this shit hole we call a town and make something of my life. Two more years to go, yippee.

“Sage! Sage!” I’m pulled out of my trance by his large hands shaking my shoulders. “Sorry, what were you saying?” He rolls his eyes, “I was saying you and Charlotte totally need to come on a double date with me and Tamie.” Tamie was the head cheerleader and Rory’s ‘girlfriend’, cliché I know. I try smiling at him. “Sure man, when?” A smile painted its way onto his face. “Tonight at that new Italian place in town? You know the one with the new owners?” I nod, I had been planning to go there eventually. “Yeah, meet us there at seven!” I sigh as he headed off down the hall, now to find Charlotte.

Charlotte Teylor was my other best friend, the one I actually liked. She pretended to be my fake girlfriend so I wouldn’t have to try to sit through dates that Rory would set up for me. It wasn't just the fact that I didn't want to go out with a whore. It was also the fact that I was gay and in the closet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahh C:

New story.. How do you guys like it?