Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

you chose cybering over me

August 16th, 2005

It came time to leave again. I was sadder than usual to go. This was the first summer that had been really interesting, after all. And this was the first summer after you came back again.

Sim's family always left the same day as mine. Yours always left a week after mine, I remember. It was because school started later for you.

Sim and I spent the last day at the ice cream parlor. How typical, right? I mean, there was really nothing else to do. And ice cream is good. I actually didn't get any right away like I usually did.

"So, what's the wait?" Sim asked. She decided to wait until we could get our ice cream together.

"Aden should be here," I said.

"You invited him?"

"No, but..."

"Then how do you expect him to be here?" Sim rolled her eyes.

"We had this thing," I admit. "We always got ice cream together on the last day I was on the island."

"Oh wow. You totally like him, don't you?"

"No!" Immediately I denied it, and I wasn't lying. Okay, so maybe I did like you a little bit, but at the time I wasn't conscious of it yet. So I said, "I just want him to buy me ice cream."

"Using boys for their ice cream," Sim said, raising an eyebrow. "I like it."

"Yeah, well it looks like he's not gonna show up though, so whatever."

"Probably cybering with his girlfriend," she said.

"You mean boyfriend," I muttered.

She laughed. "Yeah, that."

We waited for a little longer, and then bought our ice cream before the line got too long, since it was the last day for a lot of other people too. The ice cream was technically no different than if you had been there, Aden.

But sometimes, I still can't completely forgive you for breaking our tradition like that.

Image