Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

best friend's boyfriend

June 30th, 2006

So yes, you and Sim started dating a few days after that. Remember back in the letter where I said you knew her more than I would have liked? This is what I meant. Yes, I was jealous, and no, I didn't want you to date her, but it didn't bring my whole world crashing down or anything. I wasn't in love with you, not yet anyway.

You and her weren't really anything serious, I could tell. Plus, Sim wasn't really the type to keep a steady boyfriend anyways. She told me how she moved from guy to guy back at home, simply because she couldn't find anyone that could hold her interest. I didn't think badly of her for that, but I didn't agree. I thought there was so much to know about a person that you could never get bored. I still think that today.

I won't lie, though - you and her made a cute couple. You weren't the sappy, romantic couple who were always all over each other. No, you were friends too. You could tease each other and laugh and make jokes. Well, she could make jokes about you. She especially liked to remind you of last summer and your friend that happened to be (she thought) a g.i.r.l. She made all these jokes about you and you just laughed, which I thought was cool. I wondered if they ever hurt your feelings or anything, but you never showed it.

I think your relationship with her did you good. I could see ways you were becoming more like her - loud, outgoing. But you were still yourself, and I liked that. It's just we heard more of your jokes and you talked more.

We went to the ice cream parlor on this day, and I remember it as a good day. I don't remember much of it, and I only wrote one line in my diary: "Great day!" I do remember a few things, though. Such as you refusing to share an ice cream with Sim because you hated sharing food with people. You didn't care when we were younger, but you said something happened at home that made you forever fear other people's saliva on your food. Which is kind of ironic since you were basically swapping spit with Sim a few days before.

I remember we laughed a lot that day. I was introduced to a newcomer that year. You and Sim had already made friends with him. His name was Matt, and the first thing he said to me was, "Hey, I lost my teddy bear, can I sleep with you?" I was stunned for a second, then remembered I was wearing a t-shirt with a teddy bear on it. Then I laughed, and he said, "Delayed reaction, huh?"

And that's about all that I remember. Except for the fact that Matt was hot. Yes, he was hotter than you. Don't take that to offense (though you're never going to read these letters anyway, so it really doesn't matter). It was just true. You were cute, but Matt was just downright hot. It's a wonder that Sim went after you instead of him, since she's kind of shallow like that. And it's a wonder that she set me up with him, expecting him to actually like me.

We were all together that day, and after ice cream we went back to Sim's house. We watched a movie - well we didn't exactly watch it... More like making fun of all the actors and eating a shit ton of popcorn. I wish I could remember what movie it was. I'd watch it again for the memories.

I remember watching you laugh. I don't know at what or why, but I remember it. And now I remember why that day was significant.

It was the day I first accepted that I kind of liked you.

Image