Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

because that was really necessary

July 7th, 2006

Well, after my mom saw that cut on my foot, she told me I was never allowed out on the rocks again. I just shrugged it off, planning to convince her when the time came.

This was the day Sim got better. I didn't see you that day. So why am I writing this? Because it still had to do with you.

"Hey, you look better," I said.

Sim was still in her bed, but it was because she was just lazy, not because she was still sick. "Yeah, I hope so."

"So..." I said as I awkwardly sat down in a chair in the corner of her room. "What's up?"

"The ceiling."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. I heard you and Aden broke up?"

"Yup."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I haven't talked to you since Tuesday," she said. "When you guys decided to ditch me for the STD rocks."

In case you're wondering, no, the rocks didn't really have STDs. It was just called that because one time this drunk couple tried to have sex on it. It was a wonder they even got out to that point without killing themselves. Also, a lot of people bleed on those rocks because they're so sharp and people have no coordination (like me). And as we all know from health class, blood can spread HIV, and you get what I'm saying.

"It's not my fault you decided to get sick!"

"Yeah yeah whatever."

"So what happened between you and Aden anyways? When did it happen? You guys breaking up, I mean."

"It was after you left to go to the shack. He came to my house to talk and well, yeah."

"So that's why he was late?" I said. You never did tell me why you were late that day. It's weird that I never asked, even though you kept us waiting for almost an hour.

"Yeah. And it was a mutual thing. We only got together because it was a 'in the moment' kind of thing."

"I just didn't know you liked him."

"I didn't really," she said. "I mean, I did. He's nice and all. It's just... it didn't work out. And I couldn't really say no when he was shoving his tongue down my throat."

"You really had to tell me that, huh?"

"Oh, I forgot," she said, sitting up straighter. "You like him."

"No," I lied. Although what I said next was true. "I'd just rather not know about how you were basically licking the inside of each other's mouths, thanks."

"Well, when you put it that way..." Sim's house phone rang at that moment and we both jumped. She picked up the phone beside her bed and checked the caller ID. She put the phone back down, so I figured it wasn't anyone important. Her mom picked up the phone a few seconds later and it stopped ringing. Then Sim said, "Oh right, I'm supposed to be mad at you."

"Why is that?"

"Because you didn't take your phone with you so I have no fucking idea what I missed on Tuesday!"

"I thought Aden would have told you, or Matt or something."

"Well, no one has been to visit me, so-"

"Because no one likes you," I said.

"No, shut up," she said. "You're just jealous! Anyway, Aden doesn't have a phone and Matt broke his the time he tried to climb onto his roof, remember?"

"What about Karen?"

"...you know how I feel about her." Sometimes I still wonder why we hung out with Karen...

"Well if you really wanted to know then you could have-"

"Nope. Not going there. And you didn't even bother to text me or anything."

"My mom had me help her clean the house. She does it every year after Independence Day." Not a lie.

"Whatever!" Sim said, rolling her eyes. She got up out of her bed and walked over to her closet, looking through the clothes.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Picking out an outfit. I've decided we're all hanging out tomorrow."

"When and where?" I asked. In honesty, I didn't care, as long as you were going to be there. And Matt, because I had a really cool shirt for him to see.

"Hmm. My house, at five," she decided. "We need to catch up on some things."

Image