Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

so now we're even

July 9th, 2006

So... yeah. It was so, so embarrassing, and the rest of the night was unbearable. I know that no one really made fun of me or anything, but it was just my own insecurities that made everything worse.

The rest of the night was okay. Matt ended up in just his boxers, mainly because he was too lazy to do his dares, not that he wouldn't do them. We did get you to lick Matt's face, though, since you said you were "fucking cold" and there were no more blankets. I think Matt liked it a bit too much.

I covered myself up with the blanket that Matt had around us and I was grateful. But that didn't change the fact that everyone knew about my granny panties. If I had just worn normal underwear, nothing would have really happened because we've all seen each other in our swimsuits and that's basically what this was. Of course, I didn't and that kinda ruined my day.

When we heard Sim's parents pulling into the driveway, everyone got dressed. Really really fast. Seriously, we could have been quick change artists.

I woke up the next morning happy, then I remembered what had happened the day before and cringed with embarrassment, even though I had already thrown those panties out because I never wanted to see them again.

Then when I went into the kitchen for breakfast, my mom told me we were going to spend the day at your house. I almost died. I wondered why the world was so cruel to me. I figured that I was going to lie low for the next few days until everyone forgot about it a little bit, because I'm pretty sure they would never forget that completely. But she told me that we were going to see you, and I wondered how fast I could induce vomiting.

Not fast enough, because she said we'd leave right after breakfast. And I couldn't escape either, like Austin did. He woke up before her for some reason I'll never know. So my parents basically dragged me down the street. I said I didn't want to go, but I couldn't answer them when they asked so I had to shut up and just go with it.

When we got there, your parents were waiting for us already. Your uncle Ron was there too, which I presume is the reason my mom wanted to go anyway. They'd been best friends since elementary school. Whenever my mom talked to him, my friends from home always asked if my dad got jealous. Well, until they found out that Ron was gay, but that's another story.

So everyone was sitting in the living room. My parents, your parents, your uncle, me, Emily. The only exception was you, because you were still sleeping. I remember I had to leave earlier than you. I had mixed feelings about that, since I wanted to escape the embarrassing scene as soon as possible, but I didn't really want to leave you with your ex-girlfriend...

"Cassidy, can you go wake up Aden?" your mom asked me after it became apparent that I was bored out of my mind.

"Sure," I said. I already knew where your room was and I decided just to barge in, like the time Sim and I visited you. I counted to three and opened the door. It hit the wall, making a loud banging sound but you still didn't wake up. It didn't surprise me though, since I already knew you were a heavy sleeper.

You were lying in an extremely graceful position with your mouth hanging slightly open and your arm over the side of your bed. Other than that, the first thing I noticed was the blanket on top of you. It was pink. With butterflies.

This was one of the rare times I truly wish I had my phone with me. If I could just take a picture... Too bad I didn't have it. At that point there was nothing I could do, so I just decided to wake you up. I started off with poking you. Nothing. I slapped you lightly. Still nothing. So I moved my lips close to your ear and screamed.

"What the hell?" you screamed, and then you hit your head on the wall. It wasn't anything terrible so I didn't really feel bad.

"Wake up," I said simply.

"I am awake," you said. "Why are you in my room?"

"You don't remember last night?" I said, trying to make a sexual joke. Then I immediately regretted it because of what actually happened last night. And I really hoped you didn't remember that.

"Of course I do," you said. "It was pretty interesting."

"Yeah..."

"Especially your underwear. That was just sexy."

I had no idea to say to that so it was just silent for a few moments while I wallowed in my humiliation. Then I said, "Well, so is that blanket."

"My blanket?" you said, then you looked down at the purple butterflies. "Oh..."

"It's pretty hot," I said. I figured there'd be an explanation for it, like it was Emily's or something. You just didn't say anything. "It's yours..."

"Maybe," you said, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh my god," I said, "it is yours!"

"Shut up Cassidy," you said, then got up out of bed. You weren't wearing anything else that I could make fun of.

"Sim would love to hear about this."

You froze in place. "No."

Sim would never have let you hear the end of it. And she'd end up telling everyone else too. Personally, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Just weird. Really weird.

"I think she'd find it interesting," I said carefully.

"No, don't tell anyone," you said, almost begging. The weird thing - when you said this, I immediately thought of Matt and how different he would react to this. He'd be perfectly fine with everyone knowing and just play it off as a joke, which would make everything different. It's just the way you reacted that made it a secret rather than a joke.

"Why do you even have it?" I said.

"Because I like butterflies," you mumbled. "It's just... no one knows that. I think they're pretty but everyone just thinks they're 'homosexual'."

It wasn't even the correct usage of the word or anything but I could see how that offended you and I still found the whole situation a bit... weird. Although I wasn't planning on telling anyone anyway, I had a plan. "Well, I think I might tell everyone."

"Seriously Cass, don't."

"If you don't tell anyone about last night. At all. Even the people I don't know."

"Done," you said. You then held out your hand to shake on it.

"Then we're even," I said, shaking and sealing the deal. I swear I could almost feel sparks when I touched your hand.

Image