Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

never ever do that again

July 15, 2006

This was the day you just randomly showed up at my door. It was like five in the afternoon so I figured I wasn't going to do anything that day. But then you showed up with your hair all messed up and your flip-flops on and asked me to go to the beach with you.

"Who else is going to be there?" I asked, in case I was unaware of something that was going on that day.

"No one. Just you and me."

When you said that, I swear I could feel my heart jump. I told you to hold on for a second while I ran in and told my mom. Truth was, she actually wasn't home and I only ran into the house to make sure I looked okay. When I thought I looked decent, I came back to the door and we walked down to the beach together.

We just walked along the shore. It reminded me of that time when we were younger and you picked up the seashells you found in the sand. I never asked you why you threw them back into the sand. And you still did it that day. I never said anything, I just watched as each shell landed in the ocean.

"Your shirt is boring today," you said at one point.

I looked down. I was only wearing a plain pink shirt. "Yeah, I guess. Why?"

"I dunno, Matt always looks at your shirts so I figured there has to be something interesting. I mean, you're always wearing something interesting when he's here."

I didn't say anything because I was surprised you noticed. I didn't think you would pick up on things like that, but you did.

I shrugged. "It just turns out that way." Even though that kind of wasn't true.

"Yeah, I guess. Maybe he just uses it as an excuse to look at your boobs."

I laughed at that because there really was not much to look at in all honesty. Sure, I wasn't flat as a board, but still...

We kept walking and I thought it was just a matter of time until we saw someone we knew and then we wouldn't be alone anymore. However, we didn't see anyone that day. It was like me and you were the only ones who existed.

We were walking really slowly though, since you often stopped to pick up a shell. Eventually we made it to the shack.

"Let's go in it," you suggested.

And I said, "No, Aden, I am not banging you inside that thing."

You laughed and said, "It was worth a try. But seriously, let's go."

"It's all gross in there though."

That was when you dragged me over to it. It smelled like rotting wood and other things I don't even have a name for. "Gross" is the best I can think of. You pushed open the door and the sunlight flooded into the dark room. It was really creepy. Well, more gross than creepy.

"No, it's nasty in there," I said, then looked up at the ceiling. I pointed up at it. "Look."

"Hmm," you said as you looked up at the blue and green mold. Your arm automatically moved to touch it but then you thought better of it and pulled your hand back. You went behind the shack and came back with a stick. There used to be a few old trees back there so I guess that's where the stick came from.

"Uhh," I said, as I was getting a good idea of what you were planning to do. And you did it. You started poking at the ceiling with it. The mold was spongy and fuzzy at the same time and it makes me kinda nauseous to think about it actually. Some of it came off of the ceiling and fell, almost hitting me in the face. I screamed.

"Ew!" you said, dropping the stick. Which almost caused some of the nasty stuff to get on our feet.

"Never fucking do that again," I said. You kicked the stick closer to my feet which made me scream again. So I ran, all the way down to the water.

"Get back here, bitch!" you yelled. And then you started running after me and I knew that you could run faster than me. I ran straight into the water, knowing you wouldn't do anything there. I got about knee-deep and stopped to turn around. I turned a bit too late, because that was when you tackled me. Right into the water. Luckily, none of it got into my eyes or my nose or anything because it was so shallow.

"I fucking hate you, Aden."

You laughed. "Love you too."

Image