Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

at least you're not a stranger

September 20, 2000

More than a month passed, and I still never knew your name. It's not like I saw you or anything, so I couldn't learn it. We were home, not on the island that we spent every summer at.

Still, I wondered about you. Probably more than I should have. I blame it on your ice cream, though. It was pretty tasty.

It was just a normal Wednesday, and I expected everything to be the same old boring. Depending on how you look at it, it can still be considered just one of those mundane days, nothing memorable for anyone except me. Because that was the day I finally made a connection to you

"Cass, can you come here?" my mom called while I was doing my basic third grade level math homework. I was eager to have a distraction so I immediately got up, no questions asked.

"What?"

"Do you remember that boy that you took the ice cream from when we were leaving the island?" she asked.

Now, I didn't take anything. Maybe a small little bite, but it was all consensual!

"Yes," I answered.

"Well, it turns out that his mom is Ron's sister!" Ron is your uncle, and I hope you remember that. He's also my mom's best friend.

"Oh," I said. I mean, what else was there to say?

"She's so nice - I talked to her on the phone today. Ron sent me some family pictures, too. Look!" She handed me a photograph and there you were, standing next to your uncle.

"He doesn't have ice cream in that picture," I said, and I will never know why those words are the first thing that came out of my mouth.

My mom laughed. "Next summer, when we go to the island, maybe you two can be friends."

Image