Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

rather not be molested tonight

July 5th, 2007

"Let's go."

We all got into Sim's car. I don't remember what kind it was, just that it was one I would probably never be able to afford.

It should have taken ten minutes to get there, but it took around forty because of traffic.

"It's not even July fourth anymore," you pointed out.

"Whatever, same thing," Sim said as she parked the car. "Let's just go before the fireworks start."

"I thought they always went off at like nine or something," Matt said. "At least that's what always happened where I live. Before I starting coming to the island, I always saw it then.

"Yeah, they always have one show for the kids and stuff. But this one is for the bad asses like us."

"Oh my god, we're out after midnight," you said sarcastically. "So bad ass."

We got out of the car and walked into the fair. It was an extremely long walk because we had to park so far away. Good thing the night was warm.

We bought our tickets and looked to see what was around. "Where to first?" you asked.

"Kiddie rides!" Matt said.

"So scary," you said. "For real, though."

"...I was serious."

"Best bet is to go on the Ferris wheel first," Sim said, ignoring you two. "The fireworks will start soon and hopefully we'll stop at the top. It's a great view."

The line was fairly long. I guess everyone had the same idea as us. About ten minutes later, the fireworks started and we were still standing in line.

"Fuck this," Matt said. "Let's go do something else."

"We might be able to catch the finale," Sim said. "It's the best part. Let's just stay here. We already wasted this much time waiting, so why not?"

"Fine, whatever."

Sim was right - we managed to get on the ride before the finale. We went around twice before stopping. We weren't at the top, but we were pretty close.

"Matt, you're shaking," I said.

"What?" he said, then looked down at his hands, which were shaking slightly.

"Afraid of heights?" you asked, smirking.

"Yes," he answered. "Hold my hand, Aden?"

"I'd rather not."

The ride started moving again and we went around once more. We stopped near the bottom for other people to get on, and then we heard about a million fireworks exploding in the sky.

"The finale," Sim said, holding onto Matt's hand. Turns out he actually had a fear of heights, which is why he suggested we do something else.

The carriage started moving up again, and this time we stopped right at the top. "I might kill myself," Matt said.

"You'll be okay," Sim reassured him. "Look at the fireworks. They're so close."

"Just like New Year's, Cass," you said. You put your arm around me and I moved closer to you. I leaned on your shoulder and you shifted so that my head fit perfectly against your neck. It was like we were made for this. I tried to hold my breath, like doing so would hold the moment inside of me.

Sim and Matt were turned around as the fireworks were behind them. They still held hands and Matt looked a bit calmer. He had shut up for once so that was nice. Although he really couldn't say much over the sound of the fireworks.

This calm was broken, though, when something hot hit the side of my face and I screamed. I almost jumped up, which caused the whole carriage to move from side to side. I looked at Matt and he kinda looked like he was going to throw up. Hopefully not on me.

"What happened?" you asked. "Am I that gross?"

"No, something hit me," I said. I looked around and at the bottom of the carriage I noticed something glowing orange. I stomped on it a few times to put it out and leaned down to inspect it. "What is it?"

You picked it up, something I wouldn't have dared to do. You held it out to me, and all it looked like was a gray, ashy piece of paper. "I think it's a part of a firework."

"Isn't that dangerous?" I asked. I knew we were close enough to smell the smoke and see the lights falling down on us, but I didn't think it would actually fall on us (if that makes sense).

"If something caught on fire," you said. "I don't think anything has, or they wouldn't have set them off so close."

"I think we should get the hell out of here," Matt said. And we all agreed.

So that wasn't really a good carnival experience. We didn't even go on any other rides. We did stop to get food before we left, though. The funnel cake was delicious. Then we had all this deep fried shit that would probably cause us to gain five pounds each.

"That was pretty gross," Sim said after we were done eating.

"But totally worth it," Matt said.

The drive home wasn't as long as the drive to get there, but it wasn't as short as it should have been. We tried to leave a little bit before the fair closed, but again, people had the same idea as us and it just kind of backfired.

It was around two when we finally got back to the house. Sim led us upstairs and to a really big bedroom. It was kind of set up like a hotel room, with two double beds. Our stuff was already up there.

"Cass and I can share a bed," Sim said.

"Ooh Aden, I'm so excited to sleep next to you!" Matt said. "This will be so much fun!"

"No thanks, I'd rather sleep on the floor," you said. "I don't really feel like getting molested tonight."

"What?" Matt said. "But I thought you loved me!"

"I just don't really want you rubbing your morning wood up on me." I had to smile at that one.

"Fine, I'll share with Matt and you can share with Aden," Sim said to me. "Now let's just get to sleep before I have to kill a bitch."

"This will be the best night of your life, Sim," Matt said.

To me, it didn't really matter who I shared with because all that would be happening is sleep. Everyone was too tired to touch each other anyway. We took turns using the bathroom and changed clothes.

"Is it just me or is it really cold?" I said, feeling goosebumps on my arm.

"It's really cold," you answered. "Like Sim's house always is."

"Runs in the family," Sim said, getting under the covers. "Can't do anything or my Nana will kill me."

"Whatever," I said as I turned out the lights. I hesitated before getting in the bed, thinking of all the things that could go wrong. I already knew that I had horrible morning breath, which meant I would have to get up before anyone tried talking to me. That could be avoided. I didn't snore, so that was okay (Sim did, though). I thought of the littlest things, like if I smelled slightly gross or something like that. Then I realized I should be comfortable around you if I ever wanted it to work out (but insecurities were still a bitch).

"Cold?" you said after a few minutes of feeling me shivering under the covers.

"A bit," I said.

You turned around to face me and put your arms around me, pulling my body closer to yours. It definitely helped to warm me up. In the quiet of the bedroom, I could hear your slow breathing and your heartbeat. You buried your face in my hair (I always knew you liked it). I realized I could stay in this position forever. Though I was on the verge of exhaustion, I didn't want to fall asleep and lose this moment.

"Better?" you asked.

I sighed and said, "You have no idea."

Image