Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

not the first time it happened

April 9th, 2008

"Cassidy? Cassidy, what is it?"

I snapped back to the present. "What?"

"What is the answer to number twelve?"

I looked up at the whiteboard, then down at my blank paper. Someone behind me whispered, "Two-thirds."

"Two-thirds?" I said, turning the statement into a question.

"Correct," the teacher said, and I sighed. It wasn't the first time it happened.

Spring break was coming up soon, and everyone was anxious to get out of class already. We only had a few days, and most people were starting to slack off (including me). Luckily, for us, there were always those nerdy kids to help.

After a while, the bell rang and I almost jumped. I was lost in another daydream. You might have already guessed that these fantasies were about you (and not in a sexual way... most of the time). I kind of hated myself for that.

Your email responses got slower and slower through the winter. You did tell me happy birthday, and I did the same for you. But when spring came around, the emails stopped coming, and I stopped checking.

I told Minh about it. She said there wasn't really anything we could do. I asked her if I should just forget and move on, and she said I should do whatever I thought was best. So she was no help.

Eventually I decided to move on, but not forget. Actually, I don't think I could have forgotten if I tried. Yes, I went to parties, and yes, I did look for other guys, but you were still on my mind more than you should have been. Maybe if I found a guy I liked, things would have been different. And honestly, I kind of hated you then. Because I just kept comparing them to you.

I found, over time, I naturally thought of you less. I told myself it was a good thing, but I just kept coming back to you. You did say that summer would be amazing, after all.

I thought about you so much during the week before spring break. The upcoming vacation made it almost feel like summer again, and I wished so badly for it to be true.

I went to the rest of my classes for that day, probably spacing out once or twice in each of them. Mainly I made up scenarios in my head about what it would be like if I could visit you over break. The thing is that they wouldn't be all that impossible, since my family was friends with your family. Still, that didn't mean that anything would be able to happen.

This was probably the lowest point in our relationship. I just had no idea what to do, and it was honestly boring. There's not much else to say in the letters for around this time. Of course I had other things going on in my life, but I won't write them because they have nothing to do with you.

I wondered about you a lot during this time. About what you were doing, how life was going, and if you ever thought about me the way I thought about you.

Image