Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

you were thinking of me too

May 21st, 2008

My friends asked me to walk to an ice cream parlor after school this day. I agreed, as the weather was getting nicer and I was pretty much an ice cream addict (as you know). The walk wasn't too long, so I agreed.

I was going to get my usual, but I know that my friends would accuse me of being boring. So I went with some weird flavor like cotton candy. It didn't feel right.

"I can't believe it's almost summer," Brianna said. "It's gonna be great."

"Too bad Cassie is going to be a loser and miss everything this summer," Ailyn said. "Again."

"It's not my fault," I protested. Although, it kind of was. Technically, I had a choice. I could stay at my aunt's for the summer instead of going to the island, but I never wanted to.

"She has more fun without us," Minh said. "But you know what? That just leaves more guys for us."

Everyone laughed and agreed. They laughed because Minh has that effect on people. I laughed because her statement implied that I actually got guys.

"I bet it will be great," Mary said. "We can all like, drive now. Except the loser who's leaving."

"That's not my fault either! My mom won't let me!" I exclaimed. Not that it really mattered. I never really had an interest in driving and it actually seemed pretty scary. It just really sucked when I didn't have a ride anywhere.

"Whatever you say, Cassette Tape." Minh was responsible for the recent spread of that nickname. I thought everyone else had forgotten about it forever ago.

Of course, I thought about you that day. You and ice cream just went together in my mind. By that time you were a faded thought, but you still stuck around in the back of my head, surfacing every once in a while.

Once we finished up, we had a small problem. Since we had walked here from school instead of taking the bus, we didn't have a car. Sure, we could have all walked home, but we were too lazy to even consider that. We had to wait another half hour for Brianna's boyfriend to pick us up.

Bri got to sit in the front seat and the rest of us had to sit in the back. Maybe the idea might have been appealing to guys, but squeezing into a small space with three other girls is not exactly fun.

Luckily I got dropped off first so I didn't have to endure that for long. I did get my ass slapped as I tried to climb out of the car, though.

When I walked into the house, the first thing my mom said to me was, "There's a package on the table for you, Cassidy."

"Really?" I asked. I tried to recall if I had ordered something online recently or not. I didn't think so.

I went to the kitchen table and threw my backpack onto one of the chairs. The box was pretty small. There was nothing to indicate who had sent it, but my name was written right on the cardboard in neat handwriting. I tried to rip off the tape and failed. I had to spend ten minutes looking for scissors before I finally got the box open.

The contents of the box appeared to be just a whole bunch of bubble wrap. I thought it was a prank or something (although bubble wrap wasn't such a bad present). I had to remove everything until I finally saw it on the bottom of the box.

It was a rather large seashell. The shell was orange, like a lot of the shells on the island. This one, however, had black stripes spray painted on the top. It reminded me of a tiger, my favorite animal. I flipped it over to find a note attached to the inside.

Hey, Cassie. I hope you haven't forgotten me. - Aden.

Image