Sequel: Palm Trees

Seashells

eggs and eyelashes

July 3rd, 2001

The doorbell rang. "Can you get that, Cass?" my mom yelled from across the house. I think I was just reading a book or something at the time. I abandoned it and ran to the door.

When I opened it, you were standing there. I said, "Hi."

"Oh, I know you," you said once again. I didn't expect to see you again so soon, but there you were, standing at my front door. "You're Cassidy."

"Yeah." A long pause followed.

"I'm Aden, remember?" I nodded like I knew exactly what you were talking about, although in reality I didn't know your name until that moment. So now I had a name to put to the face.

"Yeah. Umm, what do you need, Aden?" I asked. Secretly, I hoped you were going to offer me some more ice cream. By that time, it was what I associated you with.

"My mom sent me over here to ask if she could borrow some eggs. She's making a cake for tomorrow."

"What's tomorrow?"

"July fourth, remember?"

"Oh, umm..." I had no idea what to say to that, but luckily my mom chose to come to the door then.

"Hi Aden, it's nice to see you," she said. "Do you need something?"

"My mom needs to borrow some eggs," you said politely.

"Okay, hold on just a second," she said. She left me alone with you again, and I had no idea what to say.

I think you said something then, but I have no idea what it was. It probably wasn't anything significant. I don't think I responded either, because I remember staring at you and becoming fixated on your eyelashes.

Strange, I know. But it's one of the first things I noticed when I looked past the whole ice cream idea. I was jealous, actually, and I was thinking about how boys always have better eyelashes than girls do.

Compared to the black lashes that framed your brown eyes, my sun-bleached blond ones were nonexistent.

Now that I think of it, I was a strange child.

Image