Status: In Progress

And You're The Reason

Is It You?

Mibba News Articles Reviews Users Stories Poems Journals Forums My Mibba My Profile Log out
Author's profile [MissAmp] Summary Comments Subscription Default layout
Chapter by MissAmp
Status: In Progress
Step By Step
Chapter One
OLIVIA
“I wonder if that is still his same number,” I thought to myself. I knew the chances were slim and winning the lottery was more likely, but I guess I figured what the hell and sent a text before I could talk myself out of it.

::Is this still Nick’s number?::

While I waited on the reply that I didn’t exactly expect I went about getting ready. Nick was changing his number every year or so and it’d been two years since we’d last talked. We did that, go years with no contact then BAM! All of a sudden we’d get in touch with each other and it was always as if no time had passed at all. We’d been best friends since we were six and I was always asked why, if we were best friends, did we lose touch and go through that all the time. If people only knew!

I was stingy about who I shared my secrets with and I guess I considered Nick a secret in a way. To me he was just this blond headed brat I met on the beach years and years ago who still after all these years just got me. To the world, well that was why he was my secret see. To the world he was a pop sensation and the heartthrob of the ever popular Backstreet Boys. I could never see him as famous, he was just this kid living out his dreams ya know?

I jumped when my cell barked at me, letting me know I had a text message. I picked it up and looked at the screen then smiled. I couldn’t believe his number hadn’t changed!

::Guess that would all depend on who is asking.::

Instead of replying with a text I snapped a picture and sent it. It wasn’t a full minute til my cell phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Olivia, I cannot believe you kept my number! How are you?” The smile in his voice brought a smile to my face. Before I could answer he said, “Are you still living in Atlanta?”

Laughing I said, “Yes, I am, and yes I will be at the show tonight!”Oh it was so good to hear his voice.

“Come now then,” he said. “We can grab lunch at the Glen and catch up. It’s been way too long, what almost three years now? After lunch you can come and watch the sound check okay?”

“Sounds great,” I said. “I’ll meet you at the Glen in say an hour? That okay?”

“Perfect! See you soon Liv.”

Hanging up I smiled to myself and went about getting ready. I pulled my long chestnut brown curls up into a loose and messy ponytail and slid into my favorite outfit. Standing in front of the mirror I took in the one shouldered tank top and the white jean capris and wondered which shoes would be best. I slid into my teal and white sandals with the flower on them and decided I was ready. Lip gloss on, I grabbed my purse and headed out the door.
In my truck I took out my cell phone and called Grayson. He was far from my boyfriend though he was always trying to get to that place in my life. He was a good friend to me and that was, in my eyes, all he would ever be. He picked up on the third ring.

“Hey Olivia, what’s up?”

“Just wanted to let you know that I will meet you at the arena for the show, I’m headed out now to meet up with an old friend who happens to be in town.”

“Okay, sounds good. See you there babe.”

I hated when he used those kinds of terms with me. Babe, baby, honey, blah blah blah! I always thought that those terms were for relationships, not friendships like ours.
Twenty minutes later I pulled into the Glen and handed off my keys to the valet. The concierge at held the door for me and I walked in and took a seat on a plush couch to wait for Nick. It was only minutes til I saw him, and man did he look good!

His arms circles my waist as he lifted me into a massive hug, spinning me around before sitting my feet back on the floor and kissing my cheek. Taking my hand and without a single word he led me to a table in the far back corner of the restaurant. Once we were seated he looked at me and smiled.

“You look amazing,” he said. “So who’s the lucky guy who has you these days?”

“I’m single but thank you,” I said. “You’re looking pretty damn good too. I’m so proud of you. You know this right?” I said this every single time I saw him but this time there was more behind it than ever before. “How’s the waitress?”

“Eh, she’s not mine anymore as of about a year ago. I guess the re-birth of the fame was just too much for her. You’ve been keeping up with me I guess?”

We ordered and I smiled, “Always. I saw your People article to. It scared me and it still does.”
He took my hand and in one simple look he calmed me and my mind. After a pause he grinned at me. “So, you’re finally getting to see New Kids in concert after all these years huh?”

“Yes! I cannot wait either, I feel like a little school kid or something right now.”

He laughed out loud and said, “and let me guess, your still a Donnie girl right?”

“Of course, you know I’ve loved that man since I was what? Eight?”

We finished our meal and he stood. “Ready to head over to the arena?”

We left the hotel and climbed into my truck. “You just tell me where to go and park.”

His cell rang and he handed it to me. “Answer it.”

Looking at caller id I saw that it was Alex, who was, besides Nick, one of my very best friends. “Hello?”

“Oh, sorry was tryin to call someone else.”

“Now Alex you know I’m just the girl you wanna talk to boo!”

It only took a second for him to realize it was me. “Oh my God! Liv! How the hell are you? Nick didn’t say he was going to meet you for lunch just a friend!”

Laughing I said, “I guess I qualify as a friend now don’t I? We are about to pull in and park at the arena! See you in a minute!” I hung up and parked in the bottom of the parking area before we climbed out of the truck and headed inside.

I’d never been in an empty arena and it looked so much bigger than it did when it was full of people. I didn’t have a lot of time to take it all in before I was greeted by Brian, Leighanne, Bailey, and Alex. Alex stood back and let me say hello to the others then he scooped me up and gave me a hug that rivaled Nick’s from earlier.

“How the in the hell are ya Liv,” Alex said.

Laughing I told him I was wonderful and so glad to be seeing everyone. He raised his eyebrow in Nick’s direction and I knew something was up. “What is it?”

“Did you let her know that the sound check is a group thing?”

“I think she kinda figured that AJ, but if you meant that it’s a group thing that happens to include five other guys, well I guess I left that part out.”

It took a minute to digest exactly what that meant but I shook it off as soon as it hit me. “I think I can handle a simple sound check you two goons.”

“Besides,” Leighanne said, “We have a lot of catching up to do. We won’t even be paying attention to the sound check!”

“Oh she may not pay attention but I have a feeling that she’s going to know just when things get going good,” Nick said.

Sticking my tongue out at him as he walked away I had to laugh. Leighanne and I took one of thousands of empty seats and got lost in conversation before they guys even began. It had been far too long since she and I had gotten to talk.

It was about forty five minutes into the rehearsal when they stopped and took a break. Nick came over with AJ and sat down next to me and Leigh took Bayliegh to find some lunch next door at the CNN center.

“So I can only assume that you are getting excited about the next leg of sound check, right?”
“Leave her alone Alex, she is probably all school girl giggly on the inside about it and her nerves are making her sick.”

“My nerves are just fine and I am totally not school girl giggly on the inside! Thanks for your concern but yeah, not needed guys.” I smiled then and said, “I love this. I mean look at us, we’ve been separated for what? Two years this time? And look, it’s like we’ve not gone a single day without talking.”

Alex laughed, “That is true, but you know what, that’s how you know the friendship is real.” He hugged me before grabbing his water bottle and walking off.

I stood and was talking to Nick when I saw the other guys take the stage. I could have sworn I felt my heart stop beating for a moment and my skin felt fevered. That man was even more beautiful than I had imagined he would be.

Nick saw my face and smiled. “You okay Olivia?”

I just nodded and watched Donnie and the rest of the guys perform. “He’s beautiful.” It was barely a whisper as it escaped my lips.

It took a minute but eventually Nick and I fell back into an easy and steady conversation. I guess we must have lost track of time because soon it seemed we heard someone yell, “Hey Nick you can get ya game on later bro but in case you forgot we have a rehearsal goin on. Get ya ass up here.”

“The Don calls, I must go,” he said hugging me and heading up onto the stage.

NICK

“She is a friend man, trust it’s not like that with me and her.”

“Who is she then cause you two looked awfully cozy out there talkin,” Donnie said.

“That girl has been my best friend since I was six years old, nothing at all like your thinking and I can promise you even IF I was looking for more it wouldn’t happen with her.”

“You might want to explain that to Lauren before she sees you two together then, it was a damn easy mistake to assume there was more. Now let’s practice.”

When practice was over and I had told Olivia goodbye til later I headed to the back of the arena. I was taking a long sip of water when I heard Donnie come up behind me and say, “Hey man, I didn’t mean to come off like a hard ass back there okay?”

“Its fine really it is but believe me when I say she is only a friend. She only has eyes for one guy; it’s been that way since we were kids.”

He nodded and shrugged. “Hey, sometimes we find our soul mate and that is just how it is. They are the only one we need. At least she’s happy in her relationship. Speaking of you need to explain her to Lauren. Otherwise I have the feeling you won’t be too happy in your relationship when she sees you and ya friend there together.”

“Whoah, first of all Olivia is single. She’s technically not met the man she’s been in love with some twenty plus years. As for Lauren, she’s knows OF Olivia, but I do need to talk to her more about her I guess.”

He raised his eyebrow and walked away. Just as he walked away Lauren came walking up. “Hey babe, how are you? Was rehearsal okay today?”

Forcing a smile I said, “It was fabulous as always. I’m good too, just tired. Thinking about a nap before show time.”

“Oh, okay, well I guess I could go and rest with you then.”

It hit me all of a sudden when she walked up that her and Olivia were not going to get along at all. Olivia was blunt and would call it as she saw it, she wouldn’t be nice just because Lauren was my girlfriend. That wasn’t her style. If she had something to say she would say it. God this was going to be explosive I thought to myself.

“Nick, hello! I’m standing here talking to you and it’s like you’re on some other planet!”
“Sorry, I told you I was tired. Guess I just spaced out.”

“Yeah, you did! I was talking to you about the show and the after party. Are we going or not?”

I heaved a deep sigh. “I don’t think I’m going. It’s just too much on me I think. Besides, you know what happened the last time you went and the whole thing with the fans. You have got to get past that or it’s going to be trouble for me.”

“Well maybe those idiot sluts should respect that you have a girlfriend and stay the hell off of you. That would be a great place to start.”

“Lauren those :idiot sluts: as you call them are my fans! They are the ones who allow me to do what I’m doing and they are the ones who allow me to buy you the things that I buy you. You’d think you would be more appreciative of them than you are.”

She snorted and I just shook my head and walked toward the bus. I was laying down before she was even in the area.

OLIVIA

“Grayson! Hey, wait up,” I called. I just caught sight of him as I was coming out of the arena. I ran over and smiled at him. “Have you been here long?”

The tall dark haired man shrugged his shoulders. “Half hour I guess. Did you um, just come out of the arena? I thought the doors were still locked?”

I took a deep breath and realized that now would most likely be a good time to explain things to him. “Gray, can we find somewhere a little more private to talk? Somewhere away from all these people?”

He gave me a look that was mixed with confusion and concern as he put his hand at my lower back. “Sure thing, lets head across the street to the parking area.” Once we were there he turned to look at me and said, “Now, what’s going on?”

With a deep breath I said, “Okay, so, well, you know I didn’t grow up here in Atlanta right? Well, I grew up in Clearwater Florida and that is where my best years were I think.”

“Okay, so are you tryin to tell me that you’re moving back or something? What are you saying?”

“Ugh, I don’t know how to say it without coming right out and saying it I guess. My best friend since childhood is Nick Carter. He was the old friend in town who I met up with for lunch today and then he invited me to watch the sound check. There’s not a ton of people who know about the friendship.”

“Wait, you’re telling me that you know Nick Carter and have since you were a kid? As in Backstreet Boy, famous blond guy?”

I shrugged and nodded. “I guess that would be the general consensus but it’s not the way I see it in my mind. To me these guys are not famous people or “Backstreet Boys” they’re just people. I see Nicky, Alex, Bri, and D., not anyone else.”

Letting out a breath that hissed through his teeth Grayson said, “Have to admit that was the last thing I expected to come out of your mouth, but okay. No wonder you didn’t want to be in that mob of screaming girls and risk being over heard.”

I smiled at him and was grateful for his understanding. “Yeah, not the mob I’d like to deal with! Looks like they opened the doors, let’s go. Oh, and by the way, our seats are ridiculously amazing.”

He put his hand on the small of my back as we walked back across the street to the arena and inside. I let it go, even though it was a little too intimate, to possessive really, for my liking. One of these days Grayson was going to have to learn that we were nothing more than friends and would never be more than friends.

To say that we suffered through the first act would be kind. It was horrendous! The girl screeched through one song after another and they all seemed to have the same beat to them. It was a slow death to helpless ears, a musical train wreck! Finally she was done, a cat’s life was saved I’m certain, and Jordin Sparks came out to rock the stage. Finally some talent in this place I thought. She looked amazing and it was no wonder why she won American Idol. I was highly impressed with her performance. As good as she was though I was eager and ready for the main act. Time seemed to be crawling! She sang her last song and I applauded, not because it had been so incredibly great, which it was, but because finally it was time for the boys!

The stage went dark and the arena erupted in the loudest sound I had ever heard in my entire life. The excitement was palpable. Everyone was on their feet, screams, claps, stomps, all sounded out loud, ready for the headliners of the night. The opening montage ran, and the girls screamed right where I expected them too, for Nick, Brian, Joey and Jordan. The rest got love too but not nearly on the level of the “heartthrobs”. Donnie’s picture popped up and I admit that I let out a totally fan girl scream too. Lord but that man was beautiful. I think I may have held my breath as I waited for the curtain to drop, and when it did it all came out in a loud swoosh. There were all nine guys on the platform, in black, light shining down and still I could pick out my man. I’d swear to you there was electricity running through that building, so strong you could literally feel it.

Nick caught my eye from his place on the stage during one of the songs and he winked up at me. I just smiled and watched him as he did what he loved so much. I was so incredibly proud of him, AJ too, and my smile reflected that. I was lost in the songs when they slowed it down, grabbed the stools and did some ballads. At the end of one song I saw Nick and AJ playing rock, paper, scissors, and I knew it was time for I’ll Never Break Your Heart. I laughed because the winner was clear as the guys took to the audience in search of a girl to serenade. AJ came up to me and held his hand out for mine. “Let’s go beautiful,” he said and I blushed in the dark arena as I followed him down to the stage.

He kissed my cheek and smiled at me as they started to sing. He knew that I loved his voice and always had. He had a raspy quality to it that seemed to always be able to soothe me no matter what the situation was, without fail. As the song came to an end he handed me a single long stem red rose, which all the others received as well, and then took my hand to escort me to the steps of the stage. Nick stopped us and gave me a tight hug. Before he released me he whispered in my ear, so softly I could barely hear him, “Just remember to breathe Liv.” I gave him a confused look before heading down the stairs and then back to my seat. Remember to breathe? Lord that boy had really lost his mind. How was I going to forget that? Shaking my head I took my seat and got back to enjoying the show.

When Donnie took center stage to sing Cover Girl, I have to admit the kid in me took over and I squealed with everyone else. I was so wrapped up in the performance that I barely noticed when his hands went to the neck of the black tank top that he was wearing and slowly, almost seductively (okay maybe only to me but my gah it was most definitely seducing!) ripped the shirt, throwing it into the crowd. My breath caught in my lungs, my heart stopped, and I swear to you my knees turned into a jellified substance that had less firmness than a bowl of wobbling jello. He stood on that stage in his jeans, bare chested, and breathtakingly gorgeous.

When I finally could think straight again I realized that my cell phone was vibrating in my pocket. I took it out to check it just to be sure it wasn’t someone calling from home, and saw that it was a text from Nick.

::Just breathe…NGC::

::Screw you Nickolas!::

::Haha oh just wait and like I said, don’t forget to breathe.::

Shoving my phone back into my pocket I turned my attention back to the stage. Donnie was just putting his jacket back on, skin shimmering with sweat still showing, and the rest of the guys were out to do the next song. As they began to sing tonight they headed into the audience and before I could blink Donnie was in front of me.

“His chest, and those abs, I swear I’d eat dinner off of him,” I thought to myself. Beside me I heard Grayson saying something and it didn’t register. Donnie looks at me and smiles.
“Is that true ma?” I looked him then at Grayson wondering just what had been said after all. Donnie laughed his amazing laugh and took my hand in his. He placed my palm on his chest and I could feel his heart beating beneath his skin. My knees wanted to buckle but I forced myself to stand firm. When he ran my hand down across his abs however it got harder to stand. When I felt his belt buckle beneath the skin on my palm I knew for sure that I was going to fall over. His smile was almost my undoing. When he let go of my hand he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a card and handed it to me. With a wink he turned and went back to the stage.

Grayson leaned in close to me and said, “You okay Olivia?” I nodded and he asked, “What did he give you?”

I looked down at the card in my hand and was shocked. Nick had to of been behind this mess. “It’s a vip invitation to his sold out after party tonight after the show.” I saw Grayson’s eyes cloud over and could tell he would have something to say about the invitation when this show was over. For now I stuffed it in my back pocket and felt my cell vibrating once again. I pulled it out and saw that it was once again Nick.

::I’d say breathe but money says what you really need right now is a change of clothes::

::Shut up jackass. Did you put him up to that?::

::To what? The whole touch him thing? Nope can’t take the credit that was all him.::

::No the after party invitation.::

::Olivia I’m guilty of many things in my life, but that isn’t one of them.:: As I was reading that text he was taking the stage again.

When the show was over Grayson looked at me and said, “So are you really planning on going to this party by yourself?”

I shrugged my shoulders and felt the smart ass in me rising to the top. “Well I mean technically I won’t be alone. It is sold out, Donnie will most definitely be there, and I’m sure that Nick and AJ will be there too.”

He hung his head and let out a loud sigh. “Olivia you’re ex-boyfriend is making threats to your life. You can’t be out just running around at all hours of the night alone. No one would be with you when you get home.”

“Look, I’ll be fine,” I said. “I can’t stop living my life just because I have shitty taste in guys now can I? I’ll talk to Nick about it all, get him to take me home and check things out before he leaves. I’ll be just fine. He won’t let anything happen to me. I promise.”

Grayson threw his hands up in surrender knowing this was a battle he wouldn’t be winning. “Fine! Just call or text me whenever you get home,” he said before turning and walking out of the arena.

NICK
I walked out into the empty arena and smiled at Olivia. “Hey there lady, you ready for the after party?”

She nodded and bit down on her bottom lip, a sign that had always meant she was nervous. “Liv, don’t worry about it. You will be fine. It’s just a casual, fun, party atmosphere at a local club. You’re going to dance, have a drink, and enjoy the night. Now come on, let’s go.” I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and led her out of the arena to her truck.