One Summer Night

One Summer Night

It had been a cool summer night. But summer in the city has never been as special as a full holiday at the beach. Besides, I’m sure my mom would be too busy to accommodate my stay. Let’s face it. Summer is the season where tourists sprout from all places to pamper their relaxation needs. Sometimes I wish I could still be that little girl who’d lounge in the hotel lobby we had at Huntington Beach but she had to grow up and take a job somewhere far from home so she could have the city life and all the perks it might hold for her. It’s ironic how life treats people. I moved away from home so I could be like those girls on TV who enjoy the life of the city, but now that I am away from home, all I’ve ever wanted to do was escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life.

I’d been going over a few albums that my mom had sent me when the phone had started to ring.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Valerie? Is this really you?” a familiar raspy voice spoke from the other line.

Could it really be him? I thought I’d disconnected completely from Huntington. I thought I’d left no trace of myself when I escaped to the city. How did he get my number? More importantly, why was he calling at this moment?

I guess he’d been talking for a while because he started to ask me if I was listening to him. “I miss you,” he said with the sweetest tone.

My stomach practically lurched. Three words and I’m speechless. I couldn’t say anything. Of all the moments that he could probably call, why now? I was in a state of considering taking a flight home to California which I strongly advised myself not to when summer began.

“Look, I know that this might’ve come as a surprise to you but I really want to see you. I’m actually standing outside your apartment building right now. It’s cold and chilly here despite it being summer. Could you maybe come down?” he paused, “I totally get it if you don’t want to see me. I’ll wait ten minutes. If you don’t show up, I’ll leave you and never bother you again.” He rambled before ending the call, leaving me frozen – no pun intended.

Who would’ve thought that the boy I spent a childhood with, a few years crushing over and a whole lifetime to get away from – because I was scared he’d turn me down – would be right at my apartment’s doorstep? He’s the reason I’m not at the beach tanning away this summer. I can’t believe he has the nerve to show up here.

I contemplated on whether I should make him wait ten minutes before he can leave with shattered hopes or go down there and tell him what I’ve wanted to tell him for the past million years or so. I mean, he wasn’t just any guy. He was my best friend – the only person that had my back when life didn’t turn out quite right. I don’t know how that description of him got lost somewhere in the back of my mind but somehow, it found a way to present itself to me. I’m just not sure if I should be happy about it.

Without giving another thought to it, I slipped on a sweater and grabbed the jacket he had lent me when it had started to rain that one time. I never really returned it to him because having a piece of him with me helped me stay sane.

I made my way down the elevator and maneuvered my way outside the door. My heart was beating way past its limit and I didn’t know how to slow it down. My hands were starting to shake and my breathing started to falter. Was I ready to face my past? Was I ready to burn down all the walls I built up to keep me from turning the other cheek? I wasn’t sure but I was willing to find out.

I found him sitting on the front steps with his hand in his auburn, tousled hair. He was nervous, I could tell. I walked a few more steps forward and sat right beside him. I didn’t dare to look him in the eye. I just handed him his jacket whilst keeping my eyes on the road in front of me.

“Why didn’t you head back for the summer?”

“Why are you here?” I blurted. Apparently, my tongue couldn’t hold it together.

He chuckled. I peered at him from the side of my eyes and looked back at the road. One more look and I swear I’m heading back with him.

“And here I thought you’d be happy to see me,” he said, snaking his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into a side hug.

This time I looked at him. I stared into the familiar hazel green eyes that I adored so much. I did miss him, more than he’ll ever know. For some reason, I just wanted to break down and cry right in front of him. I know I shouldn’t feel embarrassed in front of him after everything we’ve been through but everything’s just so different now.

“I have to tell you something,” we both mentioned at the same time. I looked away feeling flustered.

“You first,” I said.

“I’m engaged and I’m getting married this summer. I came here because I didn’t know how else to make you come to the wedding,” he told me with so much joy in his voice.

My heart shattered a little. My chest tightened a little too much and I was looking for the right words to say but I couldn’t find anything else.

“You should probably go. Your fiancée must be worried.” I stood up and walked back to the door but he stopped me from going anywhere. He held onto my hands and made me stay.
“At least tell me why you want me to leave so quickly,” he pleaded.

The fact is that I can’t tell him. I can’t ruin his life. I can’t mess this all up for him. I’ve done that far too many times in the past due to my jealousy and unrequited love and this is where the line ends. If he’s set on marrying this girl, I should just let him go and be happy. I should just let this all go, actually. But he’s not letting up easy. He’s the one making things complicated. He’s the one asking me questions and bugging my brains out, nagging me for answers that I don’t want to give to him.

“I thought we were best friends. Didn’t you make up some kind of girly rule saying that we weren’t allowed to keep secrets from each other? I took the time to tell you everything and this is how you repay—”

“Blake, I love you.”

His name, three whole words and eight letters late, there could never have been a more perfect summer day.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a long time since I've written a story with a happy ending. :))
Hope you guys enjoyed reading this.
COMMENTS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! (: