Status: Completed

Forbidden and Mistaken

Broken Friendship

My heart fluttered when I saw Draco's eyes open. He looked just so...so weak. It's one thing to see Draco Malfoy cry. But it's quite another to see him spread out on the floor, sliced by an 'invisible' sword multiple times, and by none other than my so called best friend- that I might have even liked in third year- Harry Potter. I don't know why I kissed his bloody, hurt mouth. Or why I did it in front of Harry. But it was on instinct...a force I couldn't control.

"Hey." I said, leaning over the white hospital bed. Yeah Madame Pomfrey, I'm in the Hospital Wing before breakfast! Take that!

"What are you doing here?" He asked me.

"Visiting."

"What happened, Eliza? I knew you were there...it had to be you."

"It's fine. You didn't die or anything. Myrtle got Snape, Snape saved you, and...and I ended my friendship with Harry, so I could choose you. Plus...if you died, I would've probably killed Harry."

He paused for a second, to take in everything that I had said. "The Dark Lord wouldn't like that...if you killed Harry Potter." He muttered.

I laughed. Being here, in the Hospital Wing, nearly killed, and all he could think about was the Dark Lord's approval? Please. Like I'd care less. I don't even call him the freaking "Dark Lord" to myself. He's Voldemort. Or Tom Riddle, which he hates ferociously.

"Yeah, well...I guess he'd have to deal with it." I sighed. "You know, maybe...maybe you're right. I need a change. Not all Gryffindors are good, I guess. Maybe...maybe it'll be best for me. For us, if...if I change."

"What do you mean?" He asked, sitting up in the bed.

"I don't know. I want to...I don't want to kill muggles and Mudbloods. But I can see what...what Voldemort wants now. Maybe it's best for us...For our fates, if we just...go with the flow. Listen to our families. I don't...I don't know, Draco." I tried to explain, but couldn't put it into words.

"What-"

"I mean that...Look, it's the truth. Voldemort's going to take over the Ministry any day now...when he's stronger. We'll be at his dispense. Your father...Lucius, you'll see him again. I promise. But in order to make sure that happens...just, just...lets do it."

"What? Do what?" He asked, totally confused.

"Become Death Eaters. But when Harry, when Harry tries, or maybe even kills him, he'll forgive us...I never told you this, but...Harry loved me. We were in love, in our third and fourth year. It was hell, but I'd kissed him. Just once. Harry is a lost soul, somehow connected to Voldemort. But us, we have no choice. We have to do this, or...or they'll kill us. You know that already. And it might be sick to watch innocent witches and wizards die on our behalf, but...in the end, we'll be fine. And when this is over, we can start over."

"Okay. I thought this was because of Harry."

"It is. I hate him. I told him that I never wanted to see him again."

"Is that true though?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. He's the only one that can kill Voldemort. I don't think I hate him as much as I said I did. I just hated him for hurting you." I told Draco. "I'm on your side now. I don't want to go looking for ways to kill the Dark Lord with Harry, Hermione, and Ron. I want to be with you."

"I want to be with you too, Eliza. I don't want you to die." He told me.

"I don't want you to either, Draco. That's why I'm not going back there."

"Where? Going back..."

"To Gryffindor. They can kiss my ass."

"But that's your house- you can't just-"

"I meant my so called "friends" Draco." I laughed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In no less than a week, I would get my Dark Mark. I have only met the Dark Lord three times, and all were frightening. The first, when I was just two years old, he stroked my cheek and spoke something in Parseltongue. "Future" He said.

The second time, my father did not hold me, and he wouldn't let me cower behind my mother either. I was eleven. I was scolded for not being in Slytherin, like the rest of my family, and Voldemort assured me by telling me that I could fulfill his wishes by collecting secrets from within.

The third time, was last year, when I was in the Department of Mysteries. I saw him, he locked eyes with me, and seeped into my mind. "Don't disappoint me." He said.

The fourth time, would be very soon. Draco would be there, as would all of the others. Of course it would be painful, it's the freaking Dark Mark. It hurts me to even see Draco's, to see him wince in pain at the touch. And don't get me started on Henry. Henry would be there too, and would laugh at the sight of me.

But somehow, I wasn't afraid. My Occlumency was fairly strong now, but I wasn't confident in my choice. I still loved Harry, Ron, and Hermione...deep down. But this was my future, my present. Not my past. Harry didn't mean much now, he would probably kill me, shun me, when he found out that I was to become a Death Eater. But Draco would always accept me for who I was, for we had similar fates. Similar choices. Similar sacrifices.

My parents would honor me. Higher than Dakota even. Higher than most. I was brave, I must admit, that I was in Gryffindor for my bravery. But as for loyal, sincere, and a good heart...Good riddance was more like it. Slytherin was where I belonged, with the "evil, cunning snakes" as Ron had called it. And he was right. Absolutely right. Hermione...I reflected on her now. My best friend. She would just hex me to oblivion now. I had no "best friend" at the moment. Draco was my everything. My hopes, my future, my desire, my love.

Harry shot me a look in Transfiguration Monday morning. I hadn't bothered to come out of Draco's reach during Sunday, and I wouldn't see anyone else. I ignored it, as I did with any other Gryffindor's looks. Yeah, Harry probably told the whole school that I kissed Draco Malfoy.

"Eliza!" Hermione called from behind me.

"What!" I snapped. Get away from me. I'm only going to hurt you in the end, 'Mione.

"Eliza...please...let Harry talk to you..." She pleaded.

"Why doesn't he just come and tell me himself?" I asked, and as if on cue, Harry appeared behind her.

"Can we...please, Eliz." He asked me, with his glossy green eyes. Ugh...fine...But I didn't want to make it seem like I wanted to suddenly be friends with him again. He took me behind a large pillar in the hallway, and grabbed my shoulders.

"What are you doing!" I hissed.

"I'm sorry." He said as he let go.

"Why? You have nothing to be sorry about. I. Love. Draco. End of story. If you want to tell the whole student body, go ahead. But as a former friend, Harry, let me tell you something. I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't want to kill anyone. No matter what people tell you...I'm a Gryffindor. I'll always be." I said as I stormed off to the next class. I left him dumbstruck, befuddled.

I was then cornered by Ron in Potions, shit. Why did everyone have to ask questions? I made my own decisions. I'm making my own decisions.

"What's wrong with you, Ellie! You don't talk to us, you ignore Harry, and you hang out with Draco bloody Malfoy all the time! You hated him!" He exclaimed. The whole class was staring now, including Snape. And for once, he didn't interject.

"You know, Weasley, I've had it! Harry didn't need to do the things that he did, and if you won't except me for the way I bloody am, then don't!" I finished as I sat down next to Blaise Zabini, my "temporary" potions partner since Malfoy was still injured.

"Don't talk to him that way!" Hermione exclaimed. "You've changed, Eliza Allen! You've changed like nothing I've seen before! You're not the girl I knew!" She yelled at me...In front of all the Gryffindors (who gave me suspicious looks) and the Slytherins (who were smirking).

"Fine." I said as I grabbed my books and stormed out of the class. Snape could care less, in fact, he was happy that the Allen girl had finally broken the friendship between "Potter" "Weasel" and "Know-it-all Girl".
♠ ♠ ♠
~Angela