One Shot, One Beer, and a Kiss Before I Go

02

“Stephen James Gomez! Where have you been!?”

I stopped in my tracks, midway up the stairs, when I got caught by my distraught mother. She was looking more angry than usual, her bright blue bathrobe was not even helping her look less intimidating.

“Hiya mom.”

“Don't give me that,” She spat, marching straight towards me. I stepped back, in fear that she was going to hit me. “Where were you last night?”

“I told you I was at Finn's graduation party.”

“Yeah, I know where you were, but I know that's not the only place you went to. Where did you go to Stephen? To get high with your friends? To steal? Did you vandalize someone's property? Just because you graduated mean you can't get away with these kinds of things. I won't have you especially lie to your own mother! I am still in shock from last night!”

“I didn't do any of those things!”

“Do you remember what you said to me, Stephen? You told me that you were gonna be at that party for fifteen minutes then you'll come straight home. So I did what a good mother did and trusted you. What do I get for that? I wake up to noise made by my untrustworthy son, trying to sneak back up the stairs, early in the morning!”

“I-I didn't know that I would stay that long!”

“Stephen, I specifically told you that I would throw you a graduation party with all your friends and all of our family! Take a look around you! All that hard work for nothing!”

For the first time, I looked around me. I was so focused on trying to sneak back up the stairs that I didn't notice the large banner hanging from the ceiling that read, “Congratulations Stephen!” Balloons were hung up in every corner and in the corner of the room was a small pile of presents and envelopes.

“Oh.”

“Oh? Is that all you could say for yourself? Oh!?”

“Mom, I --” Thankfully a sudden knock on the door had interrupted just when I was about to ramble about what had happened last night. I opened the door and there stood Jaycee, looking adorable in a floral shirt, a long black cardigan and skinny jeans. Her expression was surprised for a split second, before giving me a small smile.

“Morning Stephen.”

“Jaycee?” I gave her a confused look. “What are you doing here?”

“I'm here to pick up John.”

“This early?”

“Yes Stephen, John actually has permission to be up this early.” My mother glared at me. “Jaycee invited John to accompany her on their family camping trip.”

“You're kidding.”

“Is Jaycee here?” John's voice called from upstairs.

“I am!” She called.

“Damn! Hold on!” There was sound of stuff being thrown everywhere and Jaycee just giggled. “Okay, I'm coming now!” John ran down the stairs, his suitcase making a loud clunk with each bump it hit. “Morning baby,” He leaned over and pecked her lips. This stirred an odd feeling inside of me.

“Now don't forget what I told you John,” My mom spoke, giving John a skeptical look.

John blushed madly and muttered, “I won't.”

“So Stephen, where were you last night?” asked Jaycee. “We were all here for your graduation party, but you didn't show up?”

“He was out causing trouble.” My mom accused. She rambled on about what I could've been doing last night, but I wasn't paying attention. Instead, I had my sights on John's arms around Jaycee's waist. “Stephen? Are you listening to me?”

“S-Sorry.” I tore my eyes away from the two. “What?”

“Your eyes are red! Have you been drinking Stephen!?”

“Don't be ridiculous,” I murmured. “I'm too young.” Before I could control them, my eyes narrowed towards John and Jaycee again. This time, Jaycee was snuggled against my brother's chest. All I could feel now was anger swelling from inside of me. How could they be lovey dovey while I was being yelled at? How could Jaycee be fine when I'm standing right here?

“Don't you miss me Jaycee?” I blurted out. I quickly realized what I said and clamped a hand over my mouth. John shot me a glare that I haven't seen a while and Jaycee pressed her lips together. “I-I mean -”

“Stephen. We're not bringing this up again.”

“I-I know, but – wait. Again?”

“You texted me last night.”

“Shit! I did?”

“Yeah and it wasn't very nice.” Jaycee huffed, storming out the door. I actually breathed out a sigh of relief. It was just like those good, bitter times where Jaycee would always be so feisty. These days, she's been smiling a lot more and trying to control her temper, but I wasn't there to witness it. John was.

“Stephen,” I looked up John who was now giving me a hard look. “You know what happened the last time.”

“Yeah...” I looked away. “It just...slipped out.”

“Does that mean you're still in love with her?” This question struck me like lightning. “I warned you that if you try something again, then - “

“Yeah whatever. I know.” It was my turn to glare at him. “But hey, lucky you. At least you guilted me enough to let her go.”

“What's that supposed to mean?”

“It means that I do still love her John and it just hurts me inside to know that she's with you. Satisfied, little brother?” I fished my car keys out of my pocket and headed straight towards the door.

“Stephen!” My mom called again. “Where are you going!?”

“Out.” I said flatly. “Everyone here irritates me.”

I was going to use my newly found freedom to an advantage. This getaway is a perfect example of one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now here we have something about Jealous Minds ~
Can you believe that Stephen missed his own graduation party?

Feedback would be lovely ~ :D
I would love to know what you all think

And yes, "The Boys you Do" music video inspired the first chapter oh ho