One Shot, One Beer, and a Kiss Before I Go

03

I don't know why, but driving seemed to calm my nerves more than anything else. Maybe it was the cool wind that blew past my scalp, or the very thought of my new freedom, the right to be able to drive anywhere I wanted, a convenience in contrary to walking.

As I drove by the park, I saw a familiar set of auburn hair walk past. Curious, I pulled up to her and I recognized her as the girl I had just met today, Autumn.

“Oh hey!” I called out from the window. “We meet again!”

“So we are.” She chuckled. “You're actually dressed this time.”

“Didn't we just meet twenty minutes ago?”

“Right. Are you on your way home?”

“I just came from there. Mom wasn't too happy when I showed up.”

“I can see why.”

“So I left again.” I shrugged. “Driving clears my head, so it's okay.”

“Cool. It was nice seeing you again Stephen.” She turned to walk away and I clearly saw her broken sandals and her fair bare feet meeting the sidewalk.

“Wait!”

“What?”

“Do you need a ride home?”

“This is the second time you've asked me Stephen. Are you trying to play me for a fool? How do I know your intentions aren't to drug me, drive to me a dark alley, and take advantage of me?”

“Seriously?” I couldn't help but drop a small laugh. “Are you really one of those girls who think men are perverted, lazy slobs?” I studied her the second time since the party, I knew her well-dressed self had a sort of tang to her. “Oh, I should have known.”

“Excuse me?”

“Don't take it as an insult. It's part of your personality.” I threw open the passenger door. “I'm not gonna take you to some abandoned alley, unless you're drunk.” Autumn continued to stare at me with wide eyes. “I'm kidding!”

“You joke about the most obscure things.”

“It's part of my dark humor. Take the offer on the ride, I can't stand to see a pretty girl walking home, barefoot.”

Autumn stared at the open door for sometime and continued to study me, contemplating on whether I could be trusted or not. Finally, she slowly walked over and sat in the passenger seat, closing the door behind her. “You're kind.” She informed me. “The lord will reward you well.”

What?

I decided to ignore that last part, because she said it so softly I couldn't hear it. “Now you think I'm kind?” I chuckled. “You are my stabbing at my self-esteem. Now, where to ma'am?”

“I'll just tell you where to turn.”

I drove slowly than usual, trying to adapt to her abrupt directions to suddenly turn. I glanced at her a few times, but she made no other expression. It was an indifferent frown.

“You're staring at me Stephen.” She commented, without looking at me.

“Sorry. You just look uncomfortable.”

“Of course I am. I'm in a car with a boy I just met, from a party I didn't even want to go to. And that party involved a lot of sex, underage drinking, and a bunch of sleazy guys and exposing girls.”

“Ouch. You're blunt.” I licked my lips. “So, you said that your cousin dragged you there?”

“Yeah, he kept babbling about some party. My parents don't like him, but he somehow convinced them that he was taking me elsewhere.”

“Who's your cousin?”

“John Trotter. Maybe you know him?”

“I think so.”

“But as I was saying, my expression has nothing to do with this particular event. You should know better.”

“Huh?”

“Your expression too, is always of someone who...dislikes life.”

“Well what do you expect? That I should be smiling all the time?”

“Then you understand.”

I gripped the steering wheel a little too tightly and felt the leather giving off a mild burning sensation to my palm. “I used to be happier, I suppose.”

“Left.” She instructed and I obeyed. “Did something take away your happiness?”

“I gave it up.”

“Then you fully know the consequences of your actions.”

“But it was for a good cause.”

“If you gave up your happiness out of your own will for a good reason, then why are you still unsatisfied?”

I gave a heavy shrug. “I don't know, I guess it's because I miss having Ja- er, I mean - it. Today, actually, was the first time I started to regret what I've done.”

“Never regret anything, because at point you wanted it.” She mused. “Right here is fine.”

“Thanks for listening, I guess.” I actually pretty glad to get a few venting off my chest.

“There's someone always listening to you, even when you least expect it.” She got out with a little smile and shut the door.

As I began to pull away from the curb, I saw Autumn crossing the street from the rear view mirror. I turned my head to her direction and my eyes met the sight of a church. In front of me, I saw people exit from cars, dressed in dresses, cardigans, dress pants, suits. All parents and grandparents were walking up the small steps, holding the hands of fussy children, with not-so-happy teenagers following behind.

I pressed my lips together and felt my heart sink.

“Oh”, was all I could say.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all your comments <3
I appreciate it so much :D

As you can see by the ending, it's slowly leading up to a bigger idea. This story will deal with issues on religion, so I really hope no one feels offended.

Oh and happy Halloween tomorrow! <3