My Hayley

End.

When I woke up, nurses were walking in and out of my room. My parents were there, looking worried, as would be expected. Hayley was still next to me, curled up adorably into a c shape, her bright hair splattered like paint across her face. I saw the way my parents were eying us, and I admit it looked suspicious, but once this was all sorted out we could explain.

Hayley told them about the way I fell, how she was too afraid to tell them, and how sorry she was for lying. I wanted to say something, to tell them it was my fault and tell the whole truth, but they had given me a sedative and my mouth felt full of cotton. I could see my mother hugging Hayley and telling her it was alright, and it comforted me. As soon as I got out of that cold, lonely bed, I planned to take Hayley somewhere special, partly to show how sorry I was for this mess and partly to show her just how much she meant to me. As the hours crept by, I let myself slip into the synthetic tranquility, constantly thinking of ways to make my Hayley feel better.

The next day, I was more than happy to leave. They told me not to get up and walk just yet, but when do I ever listen? My body was aching for movement. I practically ran down the hallway as a concerned nurse chased after me with a wheelchair and a doctor gave my parents a bottle of sedatives in case I needed them. They weren’t very amused by my hyperactivity, but Hayley rolled her eyes and smiled.

For the next few weeks I had to stay in bed. I talked to Hayley on the phone most of the time. Her giggle was so adorable! It brightened up everything. When I could actually get up, I took her out to get ice cream at her favorite place. We sat in the parking lot as the sun began to set and laughed at each other, putting ice cream on our noses like we were five years old again. It sounds crazy, but for the first time in my life I felt like I belong here, like this is the way life should be lived.

We went to my house and Hayley sat with me in my room. By then we had convinced my parents well enough that we were simply best friends, and they didn’t have any reason to question it.

“Come lay down with me,” I asked her shyly. She did, curling her body into mine as I wrapped my arms around her waist. It was clear she hadn’t slept in a few days, so I stroked her hair gently until she fell asleep. It felt so good to have her here in my arms, my Hayley, where I knew she was safe and protected. The scent of her strawberry lips was my comfort. The sun was almost finished with his journey through the sky, and the shadows had no more power over me. The moon only illuminated this perfect girl next to me, and if I could have, I would have started to sing. I felt like it. For the first time in a long time, happiness overpowered every other emotion that usually nags my psyche.

Her pale face was hypnotic, mouth slightly open to let in precious air, chest rising and falling with a delicacy unbeknownst to me. Her fingers curled around mine, warm and lovely. My lips kissed the back of her head as the love I had for her came bubbling up inside of me.

I wept, right into her hair. I cried so hard I thought I would wake her up, but luckily I didn’t. The tears were round and full with meaning. She was here and mine to protect, love, and give myself to. Nothing could change the way I loved her. If things went wrong, I’d fix them. If she wanted me gone, I would go, but I’d still think of her every day, my first love, my Hayley.

the end.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, that's the end =]
I hope you liked it!
Sorry it took me so long to update!
Please comment?
And tell me if I should consider writing a sequel?