My Hayley

Confession.

Avoid her at all costs. Even if it meant merging with the herd of students I loathed from class to class. In theory, this should ease the pain. Out of sight, out of mind.

If only life were so simple….

I want to talk to her so badly, but I can’t! It’s all about social circles. She has a bunch of friends. I’m a loner. Girls like me don’t get noticed by girls like her. It’s a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.

During our lunch break I sit alone, as always. Then I feel someone next to me. I turn my head and see her, right beside me, as if this could happen. My eyes grow wide and I really see her. My mouth tries to form a greeting, but my mind is all jumbled up and I blurt out some nonsensical Finnish phrase that would equate to the American usage of “Fuck.”

“Uh, h-hi?” she stutters. Her hands are shaking and she looks worried. The ice around my heart melts in an instant.

“Hello. Are you… okay?”

She nods and shakes the nervousness away. “Yeah, uh, I just saw you here by yourself and wanted to maybe sit with you. If you don’t mind?”

Mind? How could I mind? Is she insane?

“I do not mind.”

She giggles. I give her a questioning glance.

“Oh, sorry. You just…. Your accent, it’s cute.”

Cute? Oh dear, she is insane.

“Th-thank you. Your hair is very pretty.” Oh God, did I just say that out loud?

“Thanks!” Is she blushing? “I’ve been looking for you all week. H-have you been avoiding me?”

“Oh, uh…. No, I was just….” What do I say to that? I can’t lie, can I?

“I’ve missed you….”

“R-really? Why?”

“I think…. I like you.”

My face flushes bright red, I can feel it. Before I have the chance to answer, the bell rings and she’s gone. I hold onto the image of her, the smell of her perfume, and walk to my next class in a complete fog.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked it!
Thanks to those who have the decency to comment. -gives you animal-safe skittles-