Demons

Prologue

Demons. Old stories that you hear to scare children, perhaps. Ghost stories, even, to scare the older ones. The very idea of them being something of an old tale amuses me. After all, people have always been ignorant.

The demons that people hear in children's tales are the most accurate, though they are still off by a long shot. Taking the forms of humans, it helps with the survival. But, of course, it can turn into a massacre at any time.

People screaming, flesh ripping apart, like the sound of music to the ears. That was what a demon truly wanted to hear. Being a demon, though, came with needing a certain level of self control. One couldn't simply tear every human to shreds whenever they felt like it, no, this would give away the cover, and what good would that be?

Bloodshed would never be enough. Not just one mortal at a time. Once a demon started the killing, it was hard to stop. But, since they took the shape and form of humans, it was simple enough to change into another being and act as though nothing happened. It was sick, if you asked me, but that was the life of a demon.

Some got jobs and even families to help themselves blend in. Not even their wives and children knew the dark secret behind it all. Not a tear was shed when one demon simply disappeared off the face of the earth, but that is a different matter.

Demons would come back to Afterlife, sharing their stories of their times on earth, some more peculiar than others.

And this one was a very peculiar one indeed.